Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
An update and routing help - Route 81?

Hi everyone,

With your help, I've bought my TV and my 27' Int'l, and am going to be installing a ProPride, before I head out in 9 days for my solo trip to Austin and beyond. I could not have done any of this without this group, thank you so much for all your help, insights and advice.

I'm in the process of planning my route and have a few questions. I'm leaving from southeastern Vermont, I want to avoid the congestion, and confusion of New York area. I'll take 90 to 87 to 84 to Scranton, to get on 81S.

Is 81 a good alternative? Are there any issues I should be aware of? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Annie
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I 81 would be OK, but try to avoid the Scranton area around rush hour. Good luck be safe. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
That's how I would do it. If you want to get off the highways for a bit, get off 87 at Kingston and take Rt 209 south to Port Jervis, cross the PA line and pick up 84 there. It cuts out some miles, but takes about the same time. There's a quiet KOA just north of Port Jervis in Godeffroy - one of the only KOAs not by an airport, highway, railroad or any combination thereof.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Anti tolls

I'd stay on 90 and get on I88 to Binghamton and pick up the I81 there.... concur with the Scranton during rush hour comment... from Albany, no tolls from there!! whereas, you'll have the $$$$ toll down to 84.. it's 16 miles longer, but alot less traffic as you'll see the closer you get to the NYC....
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Smooth Sailing

I travel I-81 in PA routinely for business. Just pulled my "78" Ambassador down and back I-81 to Wythville, VA. You should have smooth sailing. There is some construction in the Harrisburg area and it can be congested between Harrisburg and Carlisle (about 15 miles) but it's not bad. You'll see some beautiful fall colors if you are traveling soon. I-81 through VA is a beautiful drive with plenty to see along the way...have fun!

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I81

You'll hit a little construction (1 lane) in central PA around milemarker 141... they put you over onto the north bound lanes, for about 5 miles.. there is a nice Flying J at milemaker 219 in PA and then nice Love's Truck Stop at milemarker 90 before you get into the Harrisburg congestion.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Austin?

As in Austin, TX? Sounds like a good trip to a fun place. Get your preliminary route planned and then come back here to lay out your towing plans around Austin itself. Interstate 35 through the city is one of the more annoying examples of parking lot to be found anywhere unless you are traveling it at precisely 1:53 PM or after midnight or Sunday morning.

We were traveling south on I-35 about an hour north of there Sunday afternoon a week ago. Traffic inbound to the city seemed so very heavy that we chickened out and took the 130 tollway around the east side of the city, turning back toward San Antonio & I-35 at TX-45 to Buda. US-281 between Stephenville & Blanco is one of my favorite north-south 2-lanes in the world -- the Hill Country, small towns, BBQ joints...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Rt 81 is a good ride. If your travels take you through the Allentown area try and plan a rest stop and visit Cabellas they are about 25 mi west. If you hit any snags along 81 in VA look at rt 11. It runs parallel and is a good alternate.

ENJOY THE RIDE

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
On our drive from San Antonio to Delaware, we used both the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace. Both are federally maintained north-south roads, several hundred miles each, with 50mph speed limits and no trucks. They were easy drives for a motorhome.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
81 is a breeze. I've done it multiple times from eastern Long Island to Austin. There are a couple of nice State Parks I like to stop at in Southwest Viginia (Claytor Lake) and Norteast Tennesee (Warriors Path).

I usually do the trip in 4 days, three nights. It's not pushing but it's fairly efficient. As for the "heading west" part of the trip I much prefer 20 to 40.

Since our interests are mountain biking, microbrews and music I'm happy to help with any recommendations along those lines.

Have a great trip. Wish it was me!
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #11

1994 30' Excella
Lincolnville , Maine
Hi Annie, we are in Lincolnville and we just bought an AS last spring down in Melbourne Fla. We saw it on a Friday, liked it, bought it on Saturday, and came back home, without it, on Sunday. We hated to leave it there but we had to bring our Sunnybrook home so we could sell it. The route you are looking at is fine. Shouldn't be any problems even if you have to do it in rush hour. We always go that way when heading south.
Dfrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Hi everyone, I've passed my house keys over to my new tenants. It's been a crazy few weeks, but I'm finally ready. Thank you all for your responses. Robandzoe suggested Rt 88 Schenectady to Binghamton because there is less traffic and no tolls, both desirable. My only concern are the grades on 88, I'm a newbie tower. Are the grades manageable or should I take the 90/87/84 route? I'm planning in all my stops for gas and overnights, using Allstays are there any other good apps for this purpose. Thanks, Annie
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Don't worry about the grades. If you see yourself slowing just take it easy and keep to the right. Watch the downgrades too. You won't realize it so much but it's easy to gain speed going down just be careful to stay in your comfort zone. If your tow vehicle is up for the tow you won't have any difficulty. If you can look ahead and try gaining a little on the downgrade to help with the upgrade. This works nicely ( as traffic allows ). Relax and enjoy the ride.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Milton , Delaware
If you are concerned about your tow vehicle capacity, you may wish to consider having a transmission temp gauge installed, especially! if you are pulling up hilly terrain.
tartansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Annie,

We have gone 81 to Austin for the last 3 winters. I echo the recommendation to go 20 rather than 40 West. 40 has some serious climbs!

If it's cold and we haven't un-winterized, we use the Microtel in Christiansburg for about the same price as a KOA.

We like the Allstays apps and use their multiple versions. They are as good as the crowdsourced data that is given to them -- better in some areas than others.

You have heard of Pecan Grove in Austin, right?

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote