Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Almost Pee'd My Pants

I-10 just west of Mobile this am it began to rain. No, wait, not rain...pouring like I have never seen it pour before. I backed off to 50MPH and there was no traffic. Suddenly from nowhere a Ford Crown Vic flys past me on the left. I'd say he was doing 80. Just after clearing my front end, he swerves right into the concrete center divide - KABOOM! - and bounces off with his headlights aimed right at mine. I am on the brakes, he is spinning across the 4 lanes now with all kinds of parts flying through the air, and just clear my curbside as I go by at around 10MPH still hard on the brake. Couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 feet to spare. Worst scare of my towing career.

Later in the day 100Mi west of Tallahassee it is raining so hard that the standing water was slowing my rig down to about 35MPH. I thought something was wrong with the motor. The shoulder is sloped like mad, and the next exit was 5Mi. Never seen rain like that in my life. Finally got to the exit and off. Waited it out. We wanted as many miles as possible away from Mobile when we heard the three magic words: HAIL, TORNADOS, WIND.

Sitting in Tallahassee.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Belleair Beach , United States
Thank God you are safe. Will keep you in our prayers. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
rhoelscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I sounds like you did what you needed to do to stay safe. I know what you mean about the rain, that area has some huge downpours when the wet gulf air come on shore.

Be Safe!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I sounds like you did what you needed to do to stay safe. I know what you mean about the rain, that area has some huge downpours when the wet gulf air come on shore.

Be Safe!
We're from California. I've never seen rain like that in my life. I could barely see anything but the white line.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Sounds like a Christmas Eve miracle to me... glad you are okay.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
We're from California. I've never seen rain like that in my life. I could barely see anything but the white line.
It makes for some rough calls....slow down to avoid ploughing into a vehicle and risk being run over? IMHO you did the best option...get off the road, enjoy some rain-time in the 'Stream!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
WOW. There's always one idiot driver out there trying to ruin your trip. Glad you are safe.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Mstephens,

Here in the Midwest we call those "frog stranglers" and I have no idea what that means either. It's not unusual to have to pull off the road and just wait it out - can't see a thing! And there's always some copper riveted idiot driving too fast.

Glad you're OK.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Thanks for all the good thoughts! It was a weird day. We saw 3 "off the pavement" spun out cars in the 4 hour drive. One sedan was 50 yards off the pavement in a bunch of TREES. People seemed to be driving way too fast, even though I understand locals are somewhat used to this kind of rain.

We've had our AS for a year and have logged about 12K - this is by FAR and away the worst day of driving ever. Did I mention the wind? Phew!

Hope we get some sunny day's soon!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About rain and California, quite a few years ago I was out there on business staying in a motel before my flight home the next morning. I was awakened early in the morning to the sound of thunder and rain. I rolled over and went back to sleep. The next morning at the attached diner I was having breakfast, and all the locals in there were going on and on about the "big storm" last night.

Seems they don't know what a thunderstorm is in California?????

Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
mstephens: I am one of those locals you speak of. Believe me we are not use to weather like that. There are stupid people everywhere, sadly when it comes to stupid drivers we seem to have more than our fair share down here on the Gulf Coast. Just driving to work can be an adventure some days.
Glad you are ok and not one of the statics from today’s weather that I will be reading about in the paper tomorrow.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Enjoy a nice Christmas Eve off the road... Safe and dry. Odds are there will be something good on TV!

Tomorrow is a new day.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Scary! We've never seen anything like that either! And that close call - well, WHEW - glad you are safe! Hope you stay ahead of the tornadoes!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Southwest , New Hampshire
Quote:
Suddenly from nowhere a Ford Crown Vic flys past me on the left. I'd say he was doing 80. .
Ford Crown Vic?

Sounds like Johnny Law forgot to flip on his/her C1's.
Hope they were alright.
shebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
About rain and California, quite a few years ago I was out there on business staying in a motel before my flight home the next morning. I was awakened early in the morning to the sound of thunder and rain. I rolled over and went back to sleep. The next morning at the attached diner I was having breakfast, and all the locals in there were going on and on about the "big storm" last night.

Seems they don't know what a thunderstorm is in California?????

Merry Christmas all.
Correct. We rarely get "thunderstorms." So rare, it is a real event suitable for Big News Coverage. This is particularly true along the coast where most people live. Coastal California weather is dominated by the Pacific Marine layer. It's not warm air like the Gulf. Far more moderate. Since all our weather comes in from the west and NW, we don't have "collisions" of hot/cold air masses like occur in the rest of the country.

Where I live 1" of rain in a 12 hour period produces news crews all over the county to talk about the massive rainfall. We get 50 inches a year, but we don't get torrential downpours. The usual rate is 0.1"/hr. Heavier than that is "news."

What I saw yesterday felt like 6"/hr! Never seen anything like it in my life.
Frankly, I was a bit scared driving the rig through that. I kept wondering, will this get even worse?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Welcome to the "Sunshine State", lol. We get torrential downpours like that where it seems someone is holding a bucket over you and just dumping it all right on you. Most "thunderboomers", or "gully washers", as the locals here call them, last around 10-15 minutes and then resume normal rain.

When I moved to Florida (Panama City) from Virginia I never understood why people would turn their hazard lights on in the rain and pull over to the shoulder and wait it out... now I do.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Along a different line of thought we here in the northern states see some knuckleheads driving like maniacs on wet, cold, icy and snowy roads. I think one contributor is the increasing number of cars w/ all wheel drive. They go like hell on the snow but they don't stop any better than anyone else. They fail to realize how slippery the road is since they have traction and are moving along with no problem. Then whammo, they try to stop or take a curve. I see more cars / suv's with AWD spun out off the road than anything else lately.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We get thunderstorms in the mountains all year long... below freezing a few days ago, and lighting in the hills...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Welcome to the "Sunshine State", lol. We get torrential downpours like that where it seems someone is holding a bucket over you and just dumping it all right on you. Most "thunderboomers", or "gully washers", as the locals here call them, last around 10-15 minutes and then resume normal rain.

When I moved to Florida (Panama City) from Virginia I never understood why people would turn their hazard lights on in the rain and pull over to the shoulder and wait it out... now I do.
Thanks! We made it to Bradendan today where it is 78F. Finally, warm enough to open the windows. Warmest weather we have had since we left California on the 15th. It was 18F for two nights in Texas - -yikes!

We are headed to Ft. Meyers and will be there tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Thanks! We made it to Bradendan today where it is 78F. Finally, warm enough to open the windows. Warmest weather we have had since we left California on the 15th. It was 18F for two nights in Texas - -yikes!

We are headed to Ft. Meyers and will be there tomorrow.
Yeah, we're just north of you.. lovely weather today. Hope you were able to enjoy it... sounds like you were. Where in Ft Myers are you going? To a campground or are you staying with friends/family?
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote