Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Fill all your plastic containers..totes and such with gasoline....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #62
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I've got all my totes and so forth sitting in the bed of the truck. Trying to keep them well away from the house. Hoping these thunderstorms hold off a few more days.

Jim-Bob

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
People have probably hoarded so much gas that when everything does open up gas stations will be like ghost towns for a week It will be interesting to see if that happens. It will also be kind of hilarious, because a lot of people paid way too much money for gas they really didn’t need.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #64
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Of course, it's also possible that some folks had real emergencies over the last few days, like, I don't know, having to arrange a funeral in the middle of this nonsense. People like that might not appreciate the fact that a "foreign entity" decided to muck around in the energy needs of millions of Americans. But that might be political, so maybe I shouldn't say it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Of course, it's also possible that some folks had real emergencies over the last few days, like, I don't know, having to arrange a funeral in the middle of this nonsense. People like that might not appreciate the fact that a "foreign entity" decided to muck around in the energy needs of millions of Americans. But that might be political, so maybe I shouldn't say it.

Jim
I would agree. Hoarding always hurts those most vulnerable, and this entire experience shows us that cyber security is no laughing matter; even for an individual. Had a friend get nailed by Ransomware.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Alert: Colonial Pipeline Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I would agree. Hoarding always hurts those most vulnerable, and this entire experience shows us that cyber security is no laughing matter; even for an individual. Had a friend get nailed by Ransomware.

Cyber security and all the issues connected with it is a sadly neglected subject in many industries. I’m retired, sort of, and still doing quite well working full-time computer security projects.

The big issue is there are still not enough computer security professionals to go around. I constantly get emails trying to hire me away, and I’m too busy…and very happy where I’m currently working!

Basically I’m a very well paid paranoid!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:17 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Recent NYT update . . . good overview and map IMO:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/b...test-news.html

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
And the other big impediment is business squeezing staff so tightly. Step over dollars to pick up dimes.

“Human Resources” says it all. Just another resource to be exploited like a hammer or a shovel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Cyber security and all the issues connected with it is a sadly neglected subject in many industries. I’m retired, sort of, and still doing quite well working full-time computer security projects.

The big issue is there are still not enough computer security professionals to go around. I constantly get emails trying to hire me away, and I’m too busy…and very happy where I’m currently working!

Basically I’m a very well paid paranoid!
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:01 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Until the government treats these attacks as internal terrorism and/or acts of war if associated with other countries and takes the appropriate action these types of acts will continue unabated. And one should not make excuses for the age of the individuals causing these attack as the younger generation is much more efficient and knowledgeable then most my age with computers. Just MHO
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:09 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
CNBC reported this morning that 42% of gas stations (5/13/21) in Washington DC were out of fuel.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
Truck drivers have been squeezing 11hrs out of a 14hr day for years...
I hope nobody travels I40 or I80 alongside those Canadian produce haulers going to and from California...they'll kill you just as badly...
Now that IS scary, and oh by the way, I'd rather be buried in Broccoli than smothered in gasoline and burnt to a crisp.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Why???

OMG - people are crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_894C482E4DE7-1.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	395399  
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Crazy isn’t it? Each gallon of gas has approximately the same embodied energy as a stick plus or dynamite. Darwin Award winner right there.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Breaking news this morning, CP paid 5 million dollars to the hackers as ransom. I would expect they freed the hostage data (if the hackers want to keep their business going, they would have to live up to their promises), so now it's just a matter of restoring the systems. Still too late for us to change our plans, but the rest of the affected area can breath a sigh of relief. No doubt there will be a lasting effect on prices.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It's sad they paid but a business makes decisions based on business sense and the bottom line. Hackers are just bullies and criminals with tech skills.

With regard to still wearing masks and being vacinated. It's prudent, precaution, regard for self and others, and we do it gladly. We'll stop doing it when we are ready not when forum members belittle our choice or try to influence or intimidate.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #76
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
FWIW, it appears that Colonial shut the pipeline down not because the pipeline infrastructure itself was compromised, but rather because Colonial's billing system was hacked, and they were "concerned they wouldn't be able to figure out how much to bill customers for fuel they received".

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/polit...ent/index.html
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Today, we drove from Amelia Island down to Hechsher Dr and past the massive fuel depot for the port of Jacksonville. It was busy with tanker trucks, but otherwise business as usual. We headed down to the Westside to visit the Benz dealer in Orange Park to have them look at the backup camera on a recently and locally acquired 2013 GL 350 Bluetec that we bought for our daughter to use with our first Airstream now positioned on the West Coast (yes they can correct the dimness of the camera), and while there we received an alert that all of I-295 Northbound was closed due to an overturned fuel tanker. We routed home a different way, but hazmat was called out and I expect the road is still closed.

I won't speculate on the cause (it happened on a curve), or where the driver was headed (other than North), but it goes to show that fuel tank accidents do happen, and with some degree of seriousness. Say a prayer for the driver please. UPDATES HERE: https://www.news4jax.com/traffic/202...turned-tanker/
Old 05-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Today, we drove from Amelia Island down to Hechsher Dr and past the massive fuel depot for the port of Jacksonville. It was busy with tanker trucks, but otherwise business as usual. We headed down to the Westside to visit the Benz dealer in Orange Park to have them look at the backup camera on a recently and locally acquired 2013 GL 350 Bluetec that we bought for our daughter to use with our first Airstream now positioned on the West Coast (yes they can correct the dimness of the camera), and while there we received an alert that all of I-295 Northbound was closed due to an overturned fuel tanker. We routed home a different way, but hazmat was called out and I expect the road is still closed.

I won't speculate on the cause (it happened on a curve), or where the driver was headed (other than North), but it goes to show that fuel tank accidents do happen, and with some degree of seriousness. Say a prayer for the driver please. UPDATES HERE: https://www.news4jax.com/traffic/202...turned-tanker/
Hazmat crews are called whenever a vehicle overturns and there is a chance of a fuel leak. Especially if there is a watercourse in jeopardy...

So, just because Hazmat was called, doesn't mean it was carrying a load of Hazmat...
The one that made a mess near there on the 7th was carrying a load of margarine, not Hazmat (in government eyes), but it leaked a few hundred gallons of fuel from ruptured fuel tanks...

Transportation is a dangerous business.
Legislation of common sense is impossible, and hours of service regulations, while admirable, don't increase safety because they force drivers to drive when they shouldn't.

To have a truck driver run an extra 45mins to a depot where they know they can park is safer than forcing them to 'rest' at the side of the road at 11hrs...

(Incidentally, that truck has been removed from the shoulder of the road)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
And then there is this: https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...er-filling-up/

You can't fix stupid...
Old 05-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
There are reports of School buses running empty in NC because of hoarding... Apparently the same people hoarding are now protesting having to homeschool their kids again...