Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Alburquerque RV parks

Planning a trip to New Mexico to Gathering of Nations Pow-wow. Any suggestions for a camping grounds ? Then will also travel in the area,any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Geno
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Geno, you can find a list of all of the RV parks in Albuquerque at the website of the NM Assn of RV Parks and Campgrounds. Santa Fe isn't really that far away, so you might want to check there, too.

If it's only going to be for a night, there are WBCCI members in Albuquerque that I think are listed in the courtesy section of the directory.

Lynn
Old 04-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

One Night Stands

Lynn If memory is correct you own a trailer park. I saw your advice above regarding courtesy parking at WBCCI members homes, yards, etc.

Is it unproductive for a park owner to rent for just one nighters?
i.e. Does it take a certain number of days before you guys cover overhead on a per slot basis?

I have been asked when checking in how long I intended to stay, but I just thought that the space was reserved for a future date. And they wanted me out of way before reservation arrived.
I don't want to ever feel uneasy about attempting to check in for one night only, In fact it would be interesting to know what the average stay at most trailer parks is. The fulltimers would have to be factored out of that average. And the location of the park would certainly make a difference. I guess many parks are considered destination parks and hopefully others are intended traveler's respites.
Your input would be appreciated.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco
Lynn If memory is correct you own a trailer park. I saw your advice above regarding courtesy parking at WBCCI members homes, yards, etc. ... Is it unproductive for a park owner to rent for just one nighters? i.e. Does it take a certain number of days before you guys cover overhead on a per slot basis?
Well, if you look at the rate structures, it's generally true that anybody paying a daily rate -- whether for one night or several -- is paying the highest rate. In that sense, a one-nighter is as good as a three-nighter.

But there might be more to it. Up here with have a big balloon and airshow festival in the summertime. That's one of 4 or 5 opportunities throughout the year for us to fill the park completely and earn some very much needed cash. (It does cost a bunch to maintain an AS, right?) The festival runs for three whole days, so we usually get reservations for 4 or 5 days. Almost nobody wants to come during the middle of the festival; they all want to arrive on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning and then leave on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.

So, then, what about the person who calls early on and wants to make a reservation for the balloon festival for Saturday night only. If we accept the reservation, then that sight will be practically unrentable for Friday night only and/or Sunday night only.

Do you see what's happening here? For festival periods, when park owners may be trying their best to make ends meet, you might find folks who are less than willing to rent for a single night. (But, then, that's exactly where the WBCCI Courtesy Parking might be really nice, too!)

Quote:
I don't want to ever feel uneasy about attempting to check in for one night only, In fact it would be interesting to know what the average stay at most trailer parks is. The fulltimers would have to be factored out of that average. And the location of the park would certainly make a difference. I guess many parks are considered destination parks and hopefully others are intended traveler's respites.
Your input would be appreciated.
This will depend a bunch on what kind of park it is! If it's primarily a vacation area or a vacation park -- and especially if it's somewhat off the beaten path (for example, not next to an interstate!), then you won't find that many one-nighters. If, on the other hand, the primary business of the park is to serve folks heading from way over there someplace to way over yonder -- especially along interstates or other major highways -- then you're going to find almost exclusively one-nighters!

Finally, some parks will reserve a restricted number of sites for seasonal guests (for example, folks who want to stay for a couple of months).

Whew! Let me know if that clarifies things or just adds to the confusion!

Lynn
Old 04-02-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Geno

We usually stay at the KOA in eastern Albuquerque - expensive, but convenient. Also have stayed at Hidden Valley and Stagecoach.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Bernalillo KOA

We've stayed at this KOA. It's just north of Albuquerque. In fact we have reservations there for the balloon fiesta in October.
KL
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote