Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 11:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

. . . of course Mark Twain has already covered this well IMO.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:46 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
We’re in Alaska now, took the Alaska ferry from Bellingham WA.
. . .
Hope you are having fun!

Not sure what your Internet access is like up there . . . but some photos of campsites would sure be fun to see on the "Campsite pics" thread IMO.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...cs-174884.html

Happy trails,

Peter
Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Ask anyone who lives along the border. They’ll understand what I’m about to say. Canada and the US and their citizenry are very different. Canada won’t open the border until they’re darn good and ready. Just the way it is.
I live 100 yards north of the line. The amount of contradictory governing that is occurring up here is ridiculous. We are cautiously optimistic that things may open before September. My business involves cross border travel on a weekly basis (or did). I’d really like to get back to normal...
Old 07-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
. . . photos of campsites would sure be fun to see on the "Campsite pics" thread IMO.
. . .
Thanks Pete . . . great shot at Redemption Bay CG, Seward, Alaska! [hot link in blue]

Peter
Old 07-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #45
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My travel dowser (dowsing?) stick indicates that there may be hope for me to visit my favorite Parks of the St Lawrence this fall.

Even if not, friendly Canada will still be there when this mess is done with.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 07-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #46

2008 16' Safari
Inuvik , Northwest Territories
Canadian, Northwest Territories resident here, you’ll also want to check the restrictions for the Yukon and NWT at your time of travel as they may have individual differences. We just travelled from NWT through Yukon to southern Canada. We had 24 hours to clear Yukon, could only stop at gas stations, etc. on the highway (no going into Whitehorse or other towns) we are fully vaccinated Canadians. Even though the Yukon government website may say different, each indigenous nation has the right to place their own restrictions on their land (which you need to cross going through the Yukon). NWT restrictions are stricter as there is no requirement to cross to get anywhere else. I would definitely have a strong plan B.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
2018 19' Flying Cloud
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I’ve been in Bellingham all summer waiting for the Border to open! Found a good spot for AS with full hookups, firepit on a 1/2 acre right in town, love this community and the summer weather is amazing! But I’m still holding hope for northern travel.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , CA
Trip of a Lifetime 1

We did this trip with friends in 2017. I can’t say how much we enjoyed it. We also were gone for 6 weeks. We could easily have used 8 weeks or more. So much of the trip was eaten up with the driving from San Diego.
We pushed ourselves with one night stays and long driving days until we reached the Alaska Highway. British Columbia was sooo beautiful and we could have spent more time there. Here are some suggestions:
-We used the Milepost guide (printed, newest edition) and it was invaluable. Following the mileposts with their notations was fun and informative while driving.
-Clothing for real weather (not California weather :-). That means warm layers, rain gear, boots. Also hot weather clothing, long sleeves for bug protection.
-Insect repellant - the real stuff - think REI for backwoods. Yes, DEET is nasty but so are the mosquitoes and black flies in the North country. Bug repellant candles, coils, etc for the camp table. There is a great bug repellant clothing spray at REI for treating fabric. It lasts through washings and is way more economical than buying Bug Off apparel.
-The roads were in mostly great shape. We traveled in May/June so the annual summer repairs were just underway. In August you should see even more repairs completed. That said, we did a couple of flats so be prepared with good spares.
-Blackout panels for you bedroom windows. We made inexpensive ones out of reflective rolls and just put them behind our curtains. The long days in June meant no darkness at night which was weirdly disruptive to sleep. Yours may be different in August.
-We did (and still do) have some road rash on our front flying cloud panels. We have not done anything to replace them. Badges of Courage. We just used a good tar remover when we arrived home. We traveled on the paved highways and stayed away from the more northern traveled roads. We weren’t willing to risk that much stone damage to our rigs.
Trip of a lifetime, but we can’t wait to do it again! Have a great trip!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Lets say they let you in. What's to say they won't change their minds and not let you out?
Old 07-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Lets say they let you in. What's to say they won't change their minds and not let you out?
Doubt if Canada would force you to stay on its side of the US border, if you are right there IMO.

But . . .

Is it a firm and 100% certainty that the US will let you back in, if the virus situation changes dramatically? New quarantine rules may come back in play, in countries with new odd-ball factual scenarios?

Could be . . .

Never say "never" IMO.

Peter
Old 07-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
By "they" do you mean Canada wouldn't let you leave Canada, or Canada wouldn't let you re-enter after visiting Alaska?

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 07-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Another good question IMO.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #53
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Exit isn’t controlled. When you pass from Canada to the US, you don’t go through a Canadian checkpoint. You go through a US one.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:37 AM   #54

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thread is closed.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread