Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Alaska 2007 Who's going?

Are there any Airstreamers heading to Alaska this Summer?

My wife and I are planning on leaving around the third week of May. We will be traveling in a 25' Safari and GMC Truck. We are planning on staying June, July, and August.

Would look forward to meeting any others headed that way.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We are planning the Alaska run for this summer. We haven't yet finalized our plans as to when we'll be leaving. For us, we plan on going through Ashville, Oregon on the way up or on our way back to spend a few days with an old friend. It is also important to us that we not be in any hurry to get to Alaska. We want to explore British Columbia and the Yukon. If the fish are biting somewhere, we want to stay a few extra days. If there is somethiing to see that is 300 miles out of the way, we want to see it. We also plan on it taking us about 3-4 months to make the trip. We aren't much interested in seeing the top half of Alaska. The Bering Sea nor Hudson Bay hold anything for us. Our main goal is to see and experience as much as we can between here and there and pretty much confine our Alaska experience to the southern portion of the state. We'd be interested in sharing our trip if our goals are at all compatible with yours.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Southern Pines , North Carolina
We are planning to make our departure mid-June driving from North Carolina up to the Alaska highway to Fairbanks then back down the western exit to Washington. We have budgeted 10 weeks for the trip and are in the middle of planning reservations for campgrounds along the way. Which brings my question; how important is it to make reservations? Cooter
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaugh
Are there any Airstreamers heading to Alaska this Summer?

My wife and I are planning on leaving around the third week of May. We will be traveling in a 25' Safari and GMC Truck. We are planning on staying June, July, and August.

Would look forward to meeting any others headed that way.
tbaugh, that is a trip I hope to make in a couple years. I live in Dublin also. Maybe when you get back, we can meet at Starbucks, and you can tell me all about it .

Best of luck on your adventure
Dale

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Hmmm, where to begin.....

1997 25' Safari
Wasilla , Alaska
You'll Love it!

I've lived here for 5 years now, and let me just say, if you love the outdoors, you're goiing to have your greatest time yet! Any questions, let me know. I'll see if I can help ya out.
FBC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I guess it doesn't count, but we're thinking about an Alaskan cruise.

Lynn
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter
how important is it to make reservations? Cooter
Cooter, Page and I left last July 15 and got back mid Sept - 66 days, I think. I felt it was pretty tight on time and you will be tighter still. But the trip will be worth it.

We didn't make reservations - at least none until we were a few days out from our destination. I'd encourage you to do likewise. You never know what you will find, and it would be sad if you had to pass opportunities by. We never really needed them, if that will give you confidence.

We did arrange to stay in Denali (Teklanika) from Fairbanks. Otherwise we just planned to knock off by 3pm or so when traveling.

While we used Milepost, we used another book when planning camping spots. I don't have the exact name, but I'll look it up and post it shortly. Alaskan Camping, I think.

We loved the provincial parks. Most did not have hookups and that was part of their charm. We backed up to beautiful lakes several times.

I'll bet you can't wait. Happy trails.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The book is Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Explore Alaska and the Yukon with RV or Tent (Traveler's Guide series)by Mike Church (Author), Terri Church (Author)

The maps are very simple and descriptive - good, consise campground descriptions and offer a ready comparison where there are choices.

Pat
Old 03-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you don't mind a "dirt road" plan to go into Alaska via the Top of the World Highway and spend a night in Chicken. Then once you get to Tok you can spend $5.00 power washing your trailer before heading on. Plan a day or two at Dawson City before crossing into Alaska.

You can camp anywhere in Alaska as long as it is not someones front yard. We would boondock for 3 or 4 days and then hit a campground to recharge. Remember there are more paved roads in the city of LA than there are in Alaska.

If you want to see bears up close consider flying out to Katmai National Park from Homer. You will have to take a 20 min. bear etiquette course before you are allowed to walk a 1/2 mile through the woods to watch the bears feed.

One way going up or coming back, do the Ice Fields Highway and stop at Jasper Al. You may be wise the make a reservation at Whistlser outside of Jasper,if you want hook ups,since it is the best and fills up.

To really get your juices flowing go on Google Earth and fly your route and scan in close to any point you are interested in and look at the pictures that have been posted.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Here's a link to the Milepost mentioned by Pat: Alaska Travel Guide and Alaska Trip Planner, The MILEPOST: Alaskan travel guide and Alaskan trip planner for Alaska, Yukon Territory, British Columbia, Alberta and Northwest Territories

This is a must have for anyone traveling the Alaska Highway. We're planning our trip for 2008.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good link on Milepost - by the way, I found that the better price is on Amazon rather than from Milepost.

Pat
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
A good little read if you're headed for Alaska is "First We Quit Our Jobs" by a couple who did just that, leaving high power jobs in NYC to purchase a used Class A motorhome (not Airstream) and head across the country to Alaska. Their chronicle is interesting reading, one I'll take along if we get to make this trip some day. Their spirit of travel is contagious. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
1978 Argosy

1979 30' Argosy
Prague , Oklahoma
PLANNING OUR SECOND TRIP TO Alaska in lat May or June 2008 yes 2008 have a 1978 Argosy and and 2000 Dodge 2500 Diesel with 150 gal of Fuel. abou 1800 mile range. Let me here from you. (how to spent the summer every cheat) Bill and Sharon
405billc is offline   Reply With Quote