Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Airstreaming with my 3 Australian Shepherds

Hi all, I am new in the Air Forums, and still learning to navigate around the many ways of joining in, starting new conversations and where to look for the many answers I will be looking for. I recently purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 28RQB and can't wait to take her out on the first trip.
I was wondering if any of you have traveled with more than one dog, and what types of challenges you have encountered. My 3 Aussies are friendly but very active and vocal at times. We will be staying mostly in state parks where I have made early reservations, picking sites away from "activity buildings", playgrounds or pools as to minimize encounters with kids or lots of people. I am aware of the restrictions and rules of every place we will be visiting. I will be taking them on hikes where trails exist to get them exercised, but my main concern is how would neighboring campers react especially if they don't like dogs or pets in general? Will I be constantly stressed about having to keep them quiet at all times? I will obviously bring their toys and treats and bones to keep them entertained while I'm grilling outside or just relaxing by the fire. I'd love to hear some of your experiences or bits of advice regarding this subject. Thanks! Mimi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pups.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	320559  
My3Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Airstreaming with my 3 Australian Shepherds

I've traveled a lot in the 4 years I’ve had the Airstream, which I bought mainly so I could travel as hassle free as possible with my border collie. I think you will find that a large percentage of your fellow travelers have dogs. I've heard of places that don't allow dogs, but haven't run across any on my travels.

Everyone will appreciate it if you pick up after your dog. I know of no exceptions to this rule.

All trailer parks seem to require leashes at all times. Once you are set up, you can find out what the real rule is. My experience has been that if your dog is trained to stay next to your trailer, nobody seems to mind. Obviously, what applies to one dog may not apply to three dogs which are three times as likely to be noticed. When I walk around the trailer park, I always put Lupe on a leash, even if I see other dogs being walked without leashes. Just good insurance, and probably would be even better insurance for three dogs. At least in the West, there are generally places close to the trailer park where you can run your dog off leash. You just have to find them.

Occasional barks are normal. Constant yapping will get you complaints.

My almost universal experience is that many people will want to come up and pet your dog(s), and they generally, but not always ask permission, so well socialized dogs are highly recommended.

I have not been disappointed in my hope that this is a great way to travel with a dog, and have never felt that I or my dog was not welcome.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]I've found that mostly Aussie's are treated like rock stars at campgrounds. Just train those puppies not to bark! Seriously, mine is a great traveler, and in two months, has not barked from the trailer at anyone or anything, and we have been in some congested camps.
Don't stress it. They and you will do fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	320564  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We travel with up to 6 smallish rescue dogs. most under 16 pounds. The one big one is about 25 pounds. They are generally welcome wherever we go, and are not allowed to bark excessively at any time.

Ours generally stay on leashes, the one time one got loose accidentally, he ran off about 20 feet, realized he was "lost", and ran back to me as fast as his little short legs could carry him. They seem to think the Airstream is just a big silver doghouse when we are on the road, and that it is now their home territory.

Our big guy is a Tibetan Terrier, and he attracts attention, and loves getting petted. He walks up to strangers, sits, and then expects attention. He's a big goof.

The interesting thing is that the only time they ALL have barked without stopping is if someone that looks sketchy or acts furtive approaches--they pick up on that right away. Last time it was at a gas station in Oregon, and the debit card we used for the gas (a special one for that purpose) was used again in an unauthorized attempt to buy stuff a few days later. Of course, there was no money in that account, so that went nowhere. Dogs can read people's intentions, I'm convinced of that.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We've traveled with two Neuf's and a Lab. Right now we're back to one Neuf and the Lab. I've been surprised at how quiet they tend to be. A lot of the noise making is simply to alert you to this or that. Once they know you are paying attention ... back to sleep.

Noisy dogs will be an issue in just about any campground. Quiet dogs aren't going to be an issue most places. The big thing we've run into are the "dogs must never be left in a trailer" rules. If at all possible, we avoid those campgrounds. If we get stuck in one, we board the dogs. Last time that was $400 for two days .... ($29 per dog per day plus "needed extras" ...). Boarding is worth avoiding ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Last long trip, we boarded the dogs so DW and I could visit my mother, then go to Disney World for 5 days. Total boarding was about 9 days, IIRC.

The dog vacation cost more than our Disney vacation...but we enjoyed our trip, and the dogs loved the attention they were getting. Win-win in our minds.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
One thing we do is put out collapsible wire fencing. Some call them X pens. We put them around the rug area. Our pups can hang out with us inside that area. We don't leave them unattended, while they are not escape artists, I just don't take risks with my dogs, they are too precious.

Check out 4paws Kingdom campground in NC.

By the way, Beautiful Aussies! My first dog was a big black and white stock dog Australian and next one aussie was a full on show dog.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Aussies View Post
Hi all, I am new in the Air Forums, and still learning to navigate around the many ways of joining in, starting new conversations and where to look for the many answers I will be looking for. I recently purchased a 2019 Flying Cloud 28RQB and can't wait to take her out on the first trip.

I was wondering if any of you have traveled with more than one dog, and what types of challenges you have encountered. My 3 Aussies are friendly but very active and vocal at times. We will be staying mostly in state parks where I have made early reservations, picking sites away from "activity buildings", playgrounds or pools as to minimize encounters with kids or lots of people. I am aware of the restrictions and rules of every place we will be visiting. I will be taking them on hikes where trails exist to get them exercised, but my main concern is how would neighboring campers react especially if they don't like dogs or pets in general? Will I be constantly stressed about having to keep them quiet at all times? I will obviously bring their toys and treats and bones to keep them entertained while I'm grilling outside or just relaxing by the fire. I'd love to hear some of your experiences or bits of advice regarding this subject. Thanks! Mimi

We travel with three Boxer dogs.....we like it, if other folks don’t too bad. It’s not my job to please everyone.

Yeah, it sounds crass and obtuse for me to to speak that directly, but that’s just how it is.

JUST ENJOY!!!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Bristol , Virginia
Congratulations on your new unit! I would echo what has been said by other posters, most campgrounds are full of dogs. We only have one Aussie and he does great for the most part but does bark if left alone. We generally just plan activities where he can join us so that is not a major problem. He’s still fairly young so if we have to leave him behind we put his kennel in the area where we can close both privacy screen which dampers the noise. As long as it is during the day we have never had a single complaint. I have seen other campers with extremely vocal dogs receive complaints or citations (after several warnings) by campground hosts. State parks generally have a very strict policy on noise after a certain time at night (usually 9 or 10 pm) so just be aware of that rule. However, as someone who camps with two young daughters I can assure you it takes a lot of noise to draw complaints. Do not stress over it too much and go enjoy yourself!
dbwilson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I've had Aussies for years. Aussies need lots of room to run and play off leash. I would never try to travel with my dogs.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Dana Point , CA
I bought my AS last year and promptly loaded it up with my two Aussies for a month-long, 5,000 mile adventure. They loved it! Never had a problem at a campground, in fact, the dogs were mostly welcomed by fellow campers. I would venture to bet that over 50% of people in RV Camps have dogs with them. RV'ers are dog people! In fact, one of the reasons we got an AS in the first place is so we could travel with our dogs. Have fun and will look for your 3-pack on the road. We leave next week for another 30-day trip through the West - AZ-NM-OK-MO-NB-SD-WY-UT-NV - bow wow!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
I've been traveling with these knuckleheads for years. Only drawback is occasionally missing a day trip if I don't have care lined up. Sadly, I lost my 17 ½ year old boy 2 weeks ago. He is the one standing solo with the trailer. It will not be the same without the trio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9541.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	320642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	320643  

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	638.4 KB
ID:	320644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9141.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	320645  

Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
We have traveled extensively with our three dogs over the years. The largest is a border collie. McDave hit most of the points I would recommend. In 2013 we towed our 25 AI to Alaska with all three. We spent five months on the road that trip. We encountered no issues with the dogs or RV parks we stayed at or crossing into Canada. We keep a folder with the dogs shot records in our tow vehicle.
Hit the road with your three and enjoy. Most RV people are also animal people.
By the way, welcome to the family.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
So sad to hear about your loss, I am dreading the day that will happen to me. They look so good together! Hopefully the good memories with him will help you continuing the journey. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Thanks Rick for the comforting words! I too purchased the AS so I can take my pups along on the journey. I've done lots of traveling in the past, and it was tough to always find the proper care for them not to mention missing them, and paying a high price. Bold of you to jump right in it and venture on a 5000 miles trip! I am excited about my planned 3 weeks trip in late February 2019 from VT to Florida and back staying at reserved spots in state parks, so any reassuring and validating feel good words from people like you are so welcome! Thanks, and enjoy your trip!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
IMHO, dogs don’t live long enough to be treated like a dog. My friends go with me when I go. It’s only right.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Tigard , Oregon
We are currently at Whidbey Island NAS, Cliffside RV park. It is very quiet and peaceful. A dog or 3 dogs yipping/barking would be highly annoying and not allowed, according to written park rules that are given to you to follow.
So, in RV parks like this, you may want to ask first if it would be ok for your dogs to make a lot of noise. Occasional barking can be tolerated but you have to be considerate of how close in proximity you are to your neighbor.
Good luck with those beautiful dogs!
PacificNW09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Ocala , FL
Welcome. I have a 23FB and travel with 2 Aussies. One is a trained agility dog with a strong herding instinct. It can get a little crowded on rainy days but I don't like camping without my dogs so they go 90% of the time. The photo below is when I had a 22FB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	320717  
Xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Irasburg , VT
Awwww they look so cute and well behaved!
Old 08-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Ocala , FL
Thanks. Looks are deceiving. There's a treat being waved at them to make them sit still. Lol.
Xplore is offline   Reply With Quote