Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Airstreaming down in Mexico

Has anyone ever done this?
This something I have daydreamed about, but would probably never do for all the reasons about to be listed. But I have traveled the Yucatan extensively, and saw an AS once and it piqued my interest.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Mexico doesn't approve of my S&W insurance policy.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Seen in Belize Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5419.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	626.9 KB
ID:	413487Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5419.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	626.9 KB
ID:	413487. Apparently one can get far on an Airstream!
ssandks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #4
BevnCraig

2014 31' Classic
Golden , Colorado
We have been in our 31' airstream here in Mexico since December.
Heading back to Colorado on Tuesday. Lots of RVers and a few of them are airstreams in Mexico.
BevnCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Been in Mexico

Where are you and how did you get there?

Thanks
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Been there, done that and even got a T-shirt! Bought insurance for trip and travelled with an Airstream Caravan which is, in my view, the best way to go - good friends, safety in numbers and wonderful sights and activities organized for you through the Club. Don't miss the opportunity to see the whales. I also did scuba diving in several places - priceless.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
Vaya Con Dios

I have driven all over Baja but never in an Airstream. The roads are very rough. Narrow two lane highways with no shoulder and inches between you and massive trucks coming in the other direction.

That is an incredible country though, beautiful and undeveloped. In Baja you get a feel for what California must have been like 500 years ago.

If anyone has done it in an Airstream I salute you and would love to hear about it!
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
BevnCraig

2014 31' Classic
Golden , Colorado
Been in Mexico

We joined the facebook group called
On The Road in Mexico.
There we met 2 lovely couples from Manitoba, Canada who invited us to travel down with them.
We drove down from Golden, CO and met them south of Tuscon. We crossed the border into Nogales, then stayed in San Ana, San Carlos, Los Mochis, Mazatlan on our way to La Penita which is north of Puerto Vallarta. We took the toll roads down and only drove during the day.
It is a great facebook group and you will find excellent information there.
We have met many RVers from USA and Canada who have been coming down here for decades.
I hope this is helpful.
BevnCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
My last trip to Mexico was about five years ago, and I was there for over six months. Amazon has great books about camping in Mexico, and I highly recommend them.

Things you should know...not all topes are painted or signed, caution and slow speeds are important. Do not drive at night. Ever. You only have to hit one cow to ruin your night. Make sure the gas pump is zeroed out before starting to pump gas. Mexican auto dealers will not work on vehicles that are not manufactured and sold in Mexico. Always have pesos on hand, but carry a limited amount in your pocket or wallet, you do not want transitos (local police) to see wads of cash...The people are wonderful, the food is to die for, and the beaches, the beaches....
I won't go back though, towing an Airstream down there as like dragging a Faberge Egg down the road, and now the cartels are totally out of control...
Old 03-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
With all the places I've not seen in the US, I won't be going into Mexico with my Airstream and TV.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Airstream is currently partnering with Caravans de Mexico. They are on a Baja caravan now. Other airstreams people have caravanned directly with caravans de mexico. Had fully supported trips

Check for airstream caravans for 2023 to see if another airstream and Caravans de mexico will be offered
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve been to Mexico many times, but never with my Airstream. I really try not to drive at all when in Mexico. The cartel violence that’s happening down there now is scary. It’s happening in areas where it simply wasn’t an issue a few years ago like Riviera Maya. We visited San Miguel de Allende a few years ago and we loved it. I don’t know when or if I’ll visit Mexico again. It’s unfortunate.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #13
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
My wife traveled there on Business for years. She recently retired though. She always had armed guards along her side as she had to travel from city to city. The stories I've heard from her days down there makes me never want to visit that country again. The police are so corrupt by the cartels that it simply isn't worth it in my book. Good luck if you decide to go.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #14
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
We've lived in Mazatlan 5 months a year for the past 16 years. The toll hiway is safe but fairly expensive.
Mexico is a wonderful country and we have driven probably 60,000+km over the years.....never with the airstream.
Our usual trip down would involve spending 4-5 weeks in the states ,and then leaving the airstream in Sierra Vista AZ. in a storage yard. Then returning 5 months later and taking a slow trip back to BC. We done most of the western states this way.
We never saw any really appealing trips in Mexico that we wanted to take the trailer on, and it was easier and fairly cheap to just hotel/airbnb on the road.
Most Rv'rs seem to travel to one spot ....one of the beaches between Maz and PV and stay there for the winter.
We have a nice place here so dont need the airstream.
The comment about topes(speed bumps) is soooo true...mexico puts them on alot of roads but never paints them.....drives me crazy!! Never on the toll road unless its possibly thru a small town (usually bypassed ).
I wouldn't hesitate to take your airstream to a park you want to try out on the coast, but I wouldn't want to drive the free roads hauling it all over the country. Not because of fear of robbery etc but simply because it wouldn't be that much fun....LOL.
By the way I saw a small airstream at Stone Island (outside mazatlan) today.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
We'd talked about it but yes, due to the Cartel-fomented violence that can spring up in too many venues, we vetoed that idea.
As an alternative, we've boondocked in Big Bend, TX. That does give you a view into Mexico just across the river and it's beautiful country. After March, the weather (heat) may be a challenge but there is a Mustang resort with full hookups in nearby Terlingua, of Jerry Jeff Walker fame.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #16

2017 25' International
South St. Paul , Minnesota
Airstreaming in Mexico

drmox,

Airstreams are going to Mexico regularly. Most are joining organized caravans provided by vendors such as Caravanas de Mexico, in association with the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, and other tour operators.

Airstreams are only a small fraction of the RV's going south of the border on a daily basis. Class A motorhomes, fifth-wheel trailers, trailers new and old, vans of widely differing levels of finish are in Mexico now. Owners are generally U.S. and Canadian citizens. Many have been regular snowbirds, wintering in the warmth of Mexican winter for years.

There are also thousands upon thousands of U.S. and Canadian citizens living in Mexico seasonally or full-time and investing in Mexican real estate.

The country is beautiful, culturally rich, with a long and colorful history. Its people are kind, proud, gentle and would love to show you their country and share it with you. The food is marvelous. The beaches are unrivaled.

I have had the privilege to travel both the mainland and the Baja in the last couple years in Airstream caravans with a total of over 25 rigs and over 50 individuals. We traveled to the southerly tip of the Baja and as far south on the mainland as Mexico City. In those travels, we collectively had no issue of any sort. No hassles, no thefts, no damage, no bad attitude. Nothing.

Those with whom we interacted were pleased that we were there learning about and enjoying their country. They are marvelous hosts.

Be suspicious of the misinformation being shared by some of the commenters. Second- and third-hand information is likely unreliable.

Get on the web and start searching Mexico RV Tours. There is lots of info out there. There are many excellent RV travel books and manuals available. Talk to the tour operators.

I hope you are able to get comfortable with the idea of traveling with your Airstream south of the border to visit our neighbor because it comes with some terrific rewards. Perhaps we will run into you out there!
Bhagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Don’t be scared off by the fear mongers. We did the original Airstream / Caravanas de Mexico trip in 2019. Simply awesome. Beyond that, understand that literally thousands of individuals RV to Mexico for the winter season. Does crime happen? Yep, just like every weekend in Chicago. If you don’t place yourself in a hazardous situation, just like in the US, you should be fine.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I don’t consider myself a “fear monger”. I’m not trying to push my ideas or concerns on anyone. If people want to go to Mexico, then they should go. I’ve made a personal choice to avoid Mexico given the current political climate. There are a great number places in the US that I’d like to visit that I would prioritize over a trip to Mexico.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #19

2017 25' International
South St. Paul , Minnesota
Dennis C,

What is the "current political climate" of which you speak? Is there something going on in Colorado that we should know about?

There are a great number of places in the US that I avoid as I make my way to Mexico.

To paraphrase Will Rogers, "stop digging."
Bhagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Digging? For what? I’m not digging at all!

I totally agree with you on the US. There are many scary places that I avoid. I feel the same way about Mexico. I’m sure there are some places there that are fine, but I’ve made the choice to avoid it. It’s not worth the risk or effort to me. If you want to go to Mexico, then by all means go. I won’t try to stop you or tell you it’s a bad choice. I simply won’t be going with you! I feel the same way about Detroit and San Francisco.

And don’t get me started about the political climate in Colorado. It’s getting crazy here.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715