Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Airstream Sales

For many years, I have utilized the Colonial Airstream Website to research new Airstream models and view the interiors and features.

Last night I pulled up the Colonial Website and was a bit taken back by what I found. In my past experience, Colonial always had about a hundred or so new Airstreams in stock to be viewed. Right now on their Website, they have just 2 Airstreams in stock for sale. All the others on their list are either "pending" or "inbound".

I have been hearing that RV sales are through the roof, but didn't realize how serious it is.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yes, but 39 inbound is a good sign, blame the covid.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I encountered the same thing and was surprised. Yes, I knew RVs were selling but wow!

Somebody had inquired on another thread, perhaps on Facebook, about buying a 2020 Interstate. That inquiry prompted me to look at web pages for several large Airstream dealers around the country and found very few 2020 Interstates available. Perhaps not surprising since it's the end of the model year. Many of the inbound 2021 rigs were already spoken for.

The investor side of me should have held on the Thor stock we owned years ago. Another stock I've considered is Lippert Components (LCII) they're doing great!

All this makes me wonder what will happen a year or two from now? A surplus? Increased/Continued overcrowding at RV parks?

There are many people who may be renting and ultimately purchase an RV but is it really a long-term purchase? Can huge numbers of people enter the RV market only to find themselves with a depreciating asset sitting in the driveway most of the year? Consumer debt is already high. Savings is already at/near a low. It's going to be interesting to see how all this plays out.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
. . .
I have been hearing that RV sales are through the roof, but didn't realize how serious it is.
. . .
It might be worth a phone call to Patrick Botticelli or someone else to verify this IMO. There could be a variety of reasons, including that Colonial just moved into a new facility, for the apparent absence of Airstreams in stock. [edit -- can't find the link, but someone recently posted photos of the new showroom]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

NEW HOPE , PA
I went and spoke with Patrick yesterday at Colonial and in fact the only Airstream they have available to look at was the demo in the showroom. That wasn't even available to purchase. Also, the web site is not current. Based on our conversation, most of the inbound haven't been updated to "Pending" and inbound doesn't necessarily mean it's on the way, it could mean it's scheduled to be built.

People are buying sight unseen and they're buying like crazy. Good times for Airstream right now.
Wascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for that update and welcome to the forum. There you go Brian, your educated guess was spot on.

https://www.colonialrv.com/new-dealership/

[click on URL at the top for Full Screen etc. options]

Happy Trails,
Old 07-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
It is a very ominous thought that there will be many thousands of brand new RVers out on the road all at once.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Time to sell for top $$!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
It is a very ominous thought that there will be many thousands of brand new RVers out on the road all at once.

Brian

All these newbie and old ran down RV parks are full now and no money going into repairing or up dating them. Wait two years and purchase an new used AS that was used once or twice.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
As soon as there is a vaccine the market will tumble for RV’s. Most of this is due to pent up demand just to get out of the house and do something. As soon as a vaccine opens up other recreational opportunities will occur and wewill have lots of used RVs for sale. Most will be SOB. My guess is that those who buy Airstreams will hold on to them since they paid top dollar. But who knows. It will be interesting to see the dynamic.

I went on the colonial web site and all but 2 of the new AS’s are pending. They did have one 30’ Globetrotter that looked really nice. I really like that new floor plan. Even all but one of the used AS’s were pending.

I do think RVing will become popular. If I was younger, had the money, and a nice 40 acres zoned accordingly I would build a campground or buy and existing campground and renovate it. Too many of the campgrounds are run terribly and horribly maintained. Actually the nicest campgrounds we have been to have been county or village owned. Although I will have to say in my county we went to a campground just to get out of the house with friends and it was really really nice.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I realize that this current RV mania is probably a flash in the pan, but there will be a certain percentage who will take to the RV life and stick with it.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Time to sell for top $$!
We drove to Colonial just a few weeks ago to look at a couple of the very few trailers that were unspoken for on the lot. We placed a deposit on a 25’ Globetrotter that will be built in November.
Patrick offered us what I thought was a very respectable trade in for our International Serenity 16’ Bambi and then said...
“Advertise it yourself and it will be gone in 24 hours” we did and it was! There were people lining up with offers too... amazing!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
I realize that this current RV mania is probably a flash in the pan, but there will be a certain percentage who will take to the RV life and stick with it.

Brian
Hopefully a large percentage. The same with bikes. I’ve been running errands by bike around town for years. There were always a few of us now it seems as if almost everyone is riding a bike. New bikes in the sub 1500 price are almost nonexistent. I hope many continue to ride.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Cincinnati , OH
We are in the same position now. We would like to buy another Airstream,(last one was 15 years ago) probably a Caravel 22FB, but since we have never actually been seen one in person, much less been inside, it hard to see ourselves buying one without first trying it on for size!
Obviously, it a "Seller Market," right now! It even harder to buy an expensive item like this, knowing full well that you are paying a premium price and when Market Conditions change, and they will, prices will come down! I had a Dealer tell me that his recent 80% of his recent new customers had never Towed anything, much less gone Camping. IMHO, many of these new Airstreamer will be selling their Trailers in the coming year, losing more money than normal. I think we will sit on the fence and wait for a deal!
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I am thinking that many of the new Covid RVers will quickly tire of the work and attention to detail that is required for successful RVing. Many of these folks will go back to their old ways of vacationing when possible.

We have a number of friends that would like to RV, but hate driving. These people would make unhappy campers. I am fortunate to love driving the open road. There is nothing that I would rather do. This is what has made us such avid Airstreamers.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 07-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy View Post
We are in the same position now. We would like to buy another Airstream,(last one was 15 years ago) probably a Caravel 22FB, but since we have never actually been seen one in person, much less been inside, it hard to see ourselves buying one without first trying it on for size!
Obviously, it a "Seller Market," right now! It even harder to buy an expensive item like this, knowing full well that you are paying a premium price and when Market Conditions change, and they will, prices will come down! I had a Dealer tell me that his recent 80% of his recent new customers had never Towed anything, much less gone Camping. IMHO, many of these new Airstreamer will be selling their Trailers in the coming year, losing more money than normal. I think we will sit on the fence and wait for a deal!

Welcome to the forum Sailorguy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
I am thinking that many of the new Covid RVers will quickly tire of the work and attention to detail that is required for successful RVing. Many of these folks will go back to their old ways of vacationing when possible.

We have a number of friends that would like to RV, but hate driving. These people would make unhappy campers. I am fortunate to love driving the open road. There is nothing that I would rather do. This is what has made us such avid Airstreamers.

Brian

Reading about the up tick in RV sale to newbie’s. Now a lot of these newbies never towed never RV. Of course a lot of them will get out on the road with “ Get There Now”. Have accidents, causing RV insurance I go up and up to cover the cost of newbie not knowing how to tow a trailer or drive an RV. We over the years have like all of us found newbie not being property trained to set and drive or take down an RV. Sad that a lot of the salesman only think about get you out the door so they can sale another one. Sad.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Well, we were all newbies at one time or another. Some of us oldies (me) can still make stupid mistakes. Be generous to those who are just starting with an RV. They may help you in the future.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Colonial is showing over 50 units in stock now.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the reality check update!