Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Airdreamers, follow our journey to the Northwest!

Well, itís that time of year again and we will be embarking on another grand journey. We plan on traveling for most of the summer and then returning in the fall for several months and then off to Florida and the south!

We are heading to northern California to see our new grandson (our first you know!) celebrate his first birthday which will be July 1st (darn covid!). We have stayed away, like most of you, from travel and vulnerable family members. But we have our vaccine shots!

We also will be having our Classic 30 coated in ceramic (ala Long long Honeymoon) at Vinnieís and hope to document the process for all of you. Our truck is being done also.

So follow along on our journey as we take the northern route this time something weíve been wanting to do since we had our trailers.

We leave tomorrow, May 10th!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
It is pouring rain here in Ohio and about 37 degrees. Wow, I thought I would have a nice day to load up the truck bed. NOT!

We have purchased two of everything we like at home, for our trailer. Why? So when the time comes to travel, we have everything already loaded. Add food and our clothes and we are good to go. We have duplicate pillows that are the same as we use on our home bed. Dishes, pots and pans, electronics, containers for food, blankets and sheets, and even a duplicate dog bed for Maddie our dog. We found that if you want to pick up and go at a moment's notice, the trailer is ready when you are.

I do have to load the bed of the truck though. Generator, tools, camp stove, grill, propane lines, campfire, satellite dish, safety cones, and lots of odds and ends. I waited till the day before not watching the weather. That's got me in trouble before and, well, here I am in the cold rain. The only consolation is that it will be party sunny tomorrow and very nice!

Old 05-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Sound reasoning on equipping the trailer. That’s what moved us from the tent world to life on wheels many years ago.
As far as the weather, it will make each mile behind the wheel less of a chore, knowing what you are leaving behind. Have a safe and enjoyable trip! Give that grandbaby a big hug!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Sound reasoning on equipping the trailer. Thatís what moved us from the tent world to life on wheels many years ago.
As far as the weather, it will make each mile behind the wheel less of a chore, knowing what you are leaving behind. Have a safe and enjoyable trip! Give that grandbaby a big hug!
I have to say my wife came up with that idea. I balked at it thinking what an extra expense buying two identical waffle irons! But it has been a godsend. We never have the problem of saying, "Did you pack the waffle iron", when we find out it was left behind. The same goes for all the other stuff in the trailer.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I added an upgrade to Airdreamer this year - lithium batteries! I added two Battle born batteries to the front battery box. I have 450 watts of solar on the roof when I added two more panels several years ago. I changed the converter/charger out for the Boondocker adjustable voltage model.

I'm not real comfortable with electrical, but the swap from AGM batteries went surprisingly well. On my Classic 30, removing the old converter and adding the new one was very easy as it was an AC plugin and a few wires.

The battery compartment up front was also pretty straightforward by keeping all the black wires together to the Victron shunt, and all the red wires together into the battery disconnect switch.

I'm looking forward to using the new system. The first thing I noticed that it doubled my power available and charges the batteries in hours instead of days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wired.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	395213  

Old 05-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
You too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I have to say my wife came up with that idea. I balked at it thinking what an extra expense buying two identical waffle irons! But it has been a godsend. We never have the problem of saying, "Did you pack the waffle iron", when we find out it was left behind. The same goes for all the other stuff in the trailer.
Yes, my wife stocked the trailer once and for all
time, and I am always loading the truck bed the day before...
If itís not cold and rainy, itís hot and muggy.
Weíd better hope they donít see these posts and realize how much smarter they are...
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Looking forward to following your travels and interested in the ceramic coating as well.
Safe travels and keep us posted.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
Just picked up our Classic 30 with slide from Vinnie’s last Friday after new axles and ceramic coating. I t looks amazing. Got all those Joshua tree scratches and 15 years of use erased. I put a video on Instagram I think user name the_tschupps. What an amazing difference. Love that Vinnie!
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Have a fun trip! Following.
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
Finally retired

2018 30' Classic
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Well, itís that time of year again and we will be embarking on another grand journey. We plan on traveling for most of the summer and then returning in the fall for several months and then off to Florida and the south!

We are heading to northern California to see our new grandson (our first you know!) celebrate his first birthday which will be July 1st (darn covid!). We have stayed away, like most of you, from travel and vulnerable family members. But we have our vaccine shots!

We also will be having our Classic 30 coated in ceramic (ala Long long Honeymoon) at Vinnieís and hope to document the process for all of you. Our truck is being done also.

So follow along on our journey as we take the northern route this time something weíve been wanting to do since we had our trailers.

We leave tomorrow, May 10th!
Greetings Turk 123: I believe we met at JC in 2019, when we were pretty much "newbies", and you gave us good advice. We have gotten much better at travelling in our 30' Classic, and leave in a couple of weeks for a 4 week trip up into New England. This weekend doing a 3 day rally with our local Northern Virginia Airstream Club.

We were initially planning a cross-country trip this summer, but life got in the way. Next year... Will be watching for your posts. Safe travels. JWB
John W Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W Bevis View Post
Greetings Turk 123: I believe we met at JC in 2019, when we were pretty much "newbies", and you gave us good advice. We have gotten much better at travelling in our 30' Classic, and leave in a couple of weeks for a 4 week trip up into New England. This weekend doing a 3 day rally with our local Northern Virginia Airstream Club.

We were initially planning a cross-country trip this summer, but life got in the way. Next year... Will be watching for your posts. Safe travels. JWB
Hi John! I do remember you. Good to hear from you again.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Were off! Very nice day today after the much-needed rain (we got 3 inches!)!

The plan was to leave at 8:00 am. We left at 10:30. Oh well, we did not forget anyway thing (except the 4 Angus filets!) and we are on our way!

My wife Doty was very excited!

When you leave for 4 months of travel, there are lots of people you have to rely on for things that still have to get done. Like our swimming pool.

I hired the neighbor girl across the street to take care of our in-ground pool. She's fourteen but her dad has done it in the past for us, so he can help her. She was excited to have a job for the summer. When I ask her how much do you want to get paid she said, "I thought I was doing it so I could swim!" We agreed to $40/week and her dad said, "I can see it in her eyes. She already has the money spent!"

I have a landscaper that I hire on a regular basis to take care of my commercial properties. We are having him come in mid-July to do our landscaping at our home.

We hired a person to cut our lawn and trim. He also is finishing the setup on the pool when it gets warmer (Handrail, ladder, and diving board).

There is the mail we have picked up. Any important letters we need we can have forwarded to us by scanning and email. Did you know you can see all the envelopes online from the post office?

We have various neighbors who will jump in to help if the sump pump fails again as it did two years ago. Dennis went out and bought a new sump pump and installed it in the basement.

We have cameras that watch the interior and exterior of our house. We use Nest. We have one in the basement and two others inside and two outside. Our Nest doorbell camera is invaluable as it tracks anyone who comes to our door and we can talk to them. This was very useful when our security alarm went off one time and we had a conversation with the police at the front door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	395327   Click image for larger version

Name:	pool.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	395328  

Old 05-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2019 28' International
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello Tom

So excited to hear about your adventure! On your new battery set-up, did you have your Airstream dealer install it for you (Airstream Power Plus). I have been contemplating this but have yet to hear a price? Will you be creating a shared Google Photo album like your last trip?

Thanks and have a great time!
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This is our planned route. We will stay at various state parks when we can, but are not immune to staying at various KOA's and other venues when we can. As you get further West, you do not have as many state parks (but more National parks that still seem to be closed this early) but I've mapped out several campgrounds and have even made reservations at two-thirds of them. I do not like making reservations out this far. Heck, we usually make them that morning or the night before. Times have changed. If we have a problem with our trailer or our tow vehicle, it throws the entire schedule off.

We did have several issues right out of the gate with several items in the trailer. One of our pull-down blinds bit the dust. Did you ever try fixing one of those? YOU CAN"T! I got around it by adding a large clamp. Fixed!

Also, our coffee pot failed. Speaking of planning, my wife is desperately searching for a Starbuck right now.

We also had the temperature setting in the shower faucet change drastically. I learned how to take the faucet off and adjust the temperature on the handle. Great fun after a day of traveling. But I got the hot shower and my wife got the screaming cold one! It may be that we have never traveled in cold weather. The water in the fresh water tank is 40 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trip_2_-_turksail_gmail_com_-_Gmail.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	395329   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp.jpg
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	395330  

Old 05-12-2021, 06:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsgsports View Post
Hello Tom

So excited to hear about your adventure! On your new battery set-up, did you have your Airstream dealer install it for you (Airstream Power Plus). I have been contemplating this but have yet to hear a price? Will you be creating a shared Google Photo album like your last trip?

Thanks and have a great time!
I ordered all the parts myself. I'm a bit skittish with electrical, but it was not that hard of a job. Battleborn batteries and Victron Bluetooth Smartshunt. I already had the solar panels and the Victron controller (also Bluetooth) and the battery sense monitor for temperature and voltage at the battery.

As for the shared Google images folder, I forgot about that (must be the stroke!). I will set one up later today and provide a link for everyone.

For everyone who has not followed me closely, I had a stroke May 1st, 2020. I survived.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is the link to our shared folder.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6

I will put it in my signature at the bottom of each post.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Sounds like a great trip ahead! We did something similar in September 2018. This was our route outClick image for larger version

Name:	44343042154_b03d8066d5_o.jpg
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	395332
And backClick image for larger version

Name:	43250636590_1b58e1db64_o.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	395333
I will be following along. Often plan B does turn out better than plan A .

Enjoy!
Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Our first stop was Harrison lake, State Park. Since I am from Ohio it cost us $13 for the night although State parks are always a bargain IMHO. Right on the lake. It was windy and cold, to be expected this time of the year in Ohio.

We met a lady traveling by herself in a trailer by NuCamp trailer, Sugarcreek Ohio. That's Amish country and that means quality woodworking. She loves the 320 tab she owns and it looks great!

Here is a link to the company website:

https://nucamprv.com/tab-camper/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3834.jpg
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	395382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3837.jpg
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	395383  

Old 05-13-2021, 07:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Indiana Dunes was our second stop just this side of the "Windy City". What a great state park! There is lots of hiking and lots of sand! The pavilion will be opening soon and they just remodeled the entire interior. Pizza shop, all kinds of snacks, and even a rooftop bar.

We once again just had electricity, but that's what makes a state park a bargain! $23/night. The campground was wonderful. Lots of room between sites and friendly staff. We could have stayed here longer if it was warmer.

https://www.indianadunes.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	395385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2427.jpg
Size:	808.6 KB
ID:	395386  

Name:	IMG_3839.jpg
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	395387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3841.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	395388  

Name:	IMG_2423.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	395389  

Old 05-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My wife Doty made a sign for our trip and mounted it in the rear window. We get a lot of comments and "honks" as we drive along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	395390