Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Advice on Temporary Tow Tags for New Trailer in Another State?

Hey Everyone-

Need some advice for trailering a new trailer I found in another state with the hopes of having some sort of temp tags to get me home. Transaction is being done with private seller.

Here's the situation. I've wired a small deposit as a good faith commitment. I won't have the transaction complete with final paperwork (title/bill of sale etc...) until I pay in full when I go pick the trailer up. Keep in mind in another state. Pretty far away.

And, I'm not sure I'm comfortable wiring the full amount and having him fedEx the docs etc....so I can go to my DMV to get a plate before I head there to pick up the trailer.

How have others dealt with trailering the trailer home from another state when taking possession of title/trailer that day? Do states do temporary "tow-away" tags?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Call the Department of Motor Vehicles in whatever state you are doing business in and ask them. I've gotten temporary tags in the past by visiting the tag department and submitting whatever forms they want. I've also brought trailers home using the sellers tag and I've used my still valid tag from my previous trailer. Everyone is different in what risk they ware willing to take. I'm a bit of a pirate at heart so sometimes I'll bend the rules at my own risk. But most states have some provisions for providing temporary tags for out of state transactions.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have bought two Airstreams out of state. Towed them both home with no tag. No problems. If stopped I had a bill of sale and titles signed over to me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Ditto on awchief. That is what I did, went through 4 states and no problems
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would be more interested in covering it with my insurance before towing.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:34 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
When I sold mine I let the buyer use my plate and asked them to send it back . When I bought the current one seller let me use his plate and I sent it back .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Good comments so far -- ditto to having your insurance in place before moving the trailer. Local DMV office and travel tags is the correct way, but we have also loaned our plates to buyers from out-of-state.

And yes -- when you meet with the seller in person, due diligence and care should be taken with all the paperwork and your bank check. Has the seller sent you copies of the title and related paperwork, for your inspection? No point in waiting until you get there to make sure everything is in order.

Is a local RV shop or dealer going to inspect the trailer for you? They can often help with the DMV paperwork.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I just want to say, this always amazes me, there are so many good people on here who have pretty much covered every experience anyone could and think to ask a question about, then there are others whose favorite sport or pastime is digging and research.

There are probably at least a dozen people that have done exactly what your looking at, going and coming from X state to X state and yet the question is posed with nothing. Trailering is completely different depending on where you are and that includes temp tags, some in the south don't even care so long as you have a bill of sale whereas the state of Massachusetts doesn't even have or recognize temp plates...

Simply ask, from X to X it would make it easier to get real information as opposed to guesses

For example ""Do states do temporary "tow-away" tags?" Yes.... and no
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Greatly appreciated.

The vehicle will be insured only requires a brief conversation with my local agent. Not worried about that and recognize the importance. I'm clear on all the paperwork needed in my home state.

My travels will take me through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado to trailer the rig home. So not exactly a strategy shot from one state to another.

The feedback from you all has been very helpful. My plan right now is to call the WA DMV to inquire about possible temp tags for the drive. That seems like the best case if I can work that out.

I'll also inquire with the seller about keeping his plates and returning to him once home. I also have another trailer with a plate I may bring as a backup as well.

If anyone has experience in dealing with WA state and temp tags let me know.

Thank you!
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Your mileage will vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
When I sold mine I let the buyer use my plate and asked them to send it back . When I bought the current one seller let me use his plate and I sent it back .
Interesting. I am under the impression that the plate registration determines which insurance pays in the case of an accident. So using someone elses plates is OK (you are off the hook), but letting them use yours could be a problem if they have an accident. Your insurance company might get grumpy about that. Could be a legal mess.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abj1 View Post
. . .
I'll also inquire with the seller about keeping his plates and returning to him once home. I also have another trailer with a plate I may bring as a backup as well.
. . .
The seller may want a Certificate of Insurance from you if you keep his plates temporarily, which might involve more lead time than just a phone call IMO.

Sorry no WA DMV information.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Las Vegas , Nevada
When we purchased our airstream we live in Las Vegas we drove to Arkansas to pick it up the DMV says a bill of sale is all you need . When you're moving a vehicle from state to state
lmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Las Vegas , Nevada
8]When we purchased our airstream we live in Las Vegas we drove to Arkansas to pick it up the DMV says a bill of sale is all you need . When you're moving a vehicle from state to state
lmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I never bothered, I hooked up and went home with it, with the title....Also had full coverage insurance...Tennessee to Montana, California to Montana.... , Washington to Montana....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I got a temp plate from my local tax office here in Texas before going to buy our trailer. Think it was $5. While I could've contacted the Missouri DMV, I was buying the trailer on a weekend and it seemed way easier to get it done 10 minutes from home. We took almost 2 weeks to get home, camping along the way. My tax office entered all my planned stops in their system. I needed the VIN and GVWR I believe.

Safe travels and congrats on your new Airstream!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
A technicality: in WA, the "DMV" is the "DOL," Dept. of Licensing."

As stated at http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...ippermits.html

Home
Search term
Search Login to License eXpress | Office Locations | Forms
Home
Driver License & ID Cards
Vehicle & Boat Registration
Business & Professions
List of Licenses
Moving to WA
Trip permits
What is a trip permit?
They allow you to operate your unlicensed vehicles on public highways. A vehicle is considered unlicensed if:

The vehicle tabs are expired.
or
The current gross weight isn’t enough for the load being carried.
The cost is $30/per permit.

Vehicles that qualify
You can get a trip permit for:
Any 1 vehicle — up to 3 permits issued in any 30-day period.
Any 1 recreational vehicle (RV) — up to 2 permits issued in a 1-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.
You can’t get a trip permit for non-highway and off-road vehicles, including snowmobiles and ORV use class vehicles. The permits are only for vehicles being on public highways.
How to purchase a trip permit
Visit any vehicle licensing office:

Bring cash or check payable to Department of Licensing. Costs $30/per permit.
No exchanges, refunds, or credits are given once they’ve been purchased.
How to use a trip permit
Each trip permit is valid for 3 consecutive days, beginning with the first day of use.

You must complete, sign, and date the trip permit before you operate the vehicle.
Any correction or alteration of data on the permit invalidates it.
Related information
RCW 46.16A.320: Vehicle trip permits — Restrictions and requirements — Fees — Penalty — Rules
RCW 46.44.095: Temporary additional tonnage permits — Fees
WAC 308-97: Vehicle license interstate and intransit permits
Permits: Commercial vehicles
Temporary permits: Military personnel
Questions? Need help?
Contact us or a vehicle licensing office location.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
AZ Purchase, NM Destination

I purchased my AS from a private seller in AZ last month, with plans to tow back to ABQ. The AS was titled and registered in ID, but the seller was living in AZ at the time.

I am a bit of rule follower, but I did it right and had peace of mind. NM DMV gave me conflicting information until I reached the right person, knowledgeable of the requirements for re-titling the trailer here.

The right procedure (for these two states) was to obtain a temporary (90-day) transfer tag from AZ DMV for $15. Because ID does not require GVW on the title, I needed a certified scale weight to re-title and re-register in NM. I also had to have NM DMV do a VIN inspection. I had to do all this within 30 days of the purchase to avoid penalties.

In the end, it wasn't expensive or particularly inconvenient to do it the "right" way, it just took some time on the phone to confirm what was necessary. Best of luck and enjoy your new AS!
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LAMY , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead59 View Post
... Because ID does not require GVW on the title, I needed a certified scale weight to re-title and re-register in NM. ..
I am in about the same situation. i bought a trailer in WI and brought it home to NM. WI does not put the GVW on the title either. Does NM require the certified scale weight to be from a state scale? Where did you get your certified scale weight? I called the local DMV office and the lady was nice, but not a lot of help.

Bill.
Bill IVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
All most every truck stop will have a scale. You only need one weight so check in the office before driving on the scales.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Interesting. I am under the impression that the plate registration determines which insurance pays in the case of an accident. So using someone elses plates is OK (you are off the hook), but letting them use yours could be a problem if they have an accident. Your insurance company might get grumpy about that. Could be a legal mess.
I would inform my insurance before i pick up Airstream from other state. I plan to do that this month.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote