Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Advice for Airstream purchase-First timer

I am considering purchasing either a 19'Bambi Safari, a 22' Safari or 23' Safari. Primarily, I would use it on back roads and freestanding camping etc.[not RV parks] Mountains and maybe a trip to Alaska. Tow vehicle would be full size SUV. Most trips would be two-four weeks, two or three times a year. Mainly only one person, but occasionally two. I probably would purchase new. Any advcie on trailers or optional equipment from folks other than sales people, would be much appreciated! I have extensive camping and boating experience, but never owned an RV before.
Jim H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I owned a 19' Bambi before going to the 25' Safari. I loved the 19', though some folks like the 22', I didn't care for the wet bath or the front bedroom. Additionally, the wheel well took a good bit of the foot space under the dinette. The 23 addresses most of the short comings of the 22', except the front bedroom, which to me is a personal thing. One thing for sure is that dual axles tow smoother and can get you out of a bind should one tire go south.

Not sure if they ever gave the 22' 2 batteries, but if not, our 19' had it. I also don't know if the 23' has dual batteries. Boondocking with 2 batteries is king.

Another accessory I'd suggest is that you get the "LS" upgrade. Gets you a whole slew of goodies, some worthwhile, while others might not be as critical. Go for the second fantastic vent in the rear roof vent, regardless if you get the "LS" package that has it in the front roof vent too. Unless you get the CCD or SE versions, the windows don't allow a lot of great cross wind in the coach (even our 25'). With two fantastic vents, you could deal with any heat, and the dual batteries will help power them.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just took another look at the 23' Safari. It does appear to have a battery box similar to what the 19' and our 25' have, so I'm guessing it has dual batteries.....plus 2 axles and no wet bath.

You can see them here:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Jim check the thread recent Bambi owners wanted. We love our Bambi and I think it is perfect for the use that you described.
The sooner you get it the sooner you will enjoy it.
5W-30 Synthetic
Rod Pease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi jimh

welcome to airsteam'n

good luck with your research and purchase....

begin by SEARCHING the archives......LOTS of great info on each model, types of camping, size/virtures, features, towing needs, pricing and so on.....

most of the answers have already been posted......so read a while.....get familiar with the forum headings and advanced search feature....a gold mine.

this tidbit has already been posted many times too....but i will repeat it here......

get inside as many airstreams as you possibly can...every size, age, style and so on......

for brand new folks there is no substitue for firsthand contact with the product....

i see you posted this same question in another thread.....that's really not necessary....and will just bump this thread lower....

so do some searching online here and get inside trailers....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote