Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Advance campground reservations?

How far in advance, on average, do you make your campground reservations? I am planning a fall foliage trip to New England. I tentatively selected some that would use the Thousand Trails membership we were given when we bought our trailer. I was shocked to hear I had to wait until 60 days out! I am afraid they’ll book up by then. Advice anyone?
Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We generally plan our major trips (national and state parks) 6 months in advance.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Tried 1000 Trails. Did not like all the restrictions.

If I want a particular campground I make reservations at least several months out for National Parks. Private campgrounds not so far out.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
It all depends. National parks I make 10 months or the first opportunity I get (an lose more than I get with that time frame). Oregon State Parks I generally run 10 months out or I don't get a reservation. KOA's in popular areas I may run 6 months out for an off the beat park....10 months for a popular one. Sorry to not help you much, but right now it is definitely a sellers market so you have to be looking and trying all the time.
That being said, I looked at a spot on the Oregon Coast 5 weeks ago and found a gem at a KOA in Waldport. Not cheap but still an Oregon Coast site that I would recommend and stay at again.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Advance campground reservations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEN View Post
How far in advance, on average, do you make your campground reservations? I am planning a fall foliage trip to New England. I tentatively selected some that would use the Thousand Trails membership we were given when we bought our trailer. I was shocked to hear I had to wait until 60 days out! I am afraid they’ll book up by then. Advice anyone?

Hardly ever, unless a specific destination is desired. Seriously, we travel camp 10-12K mi per year and seldom make reservations. We generally begin our CG search in mid-afternoon using Allstays and Campendium, consider all options, and have never had to resort to Walmart or Cracker Barrel. We just returned from the MS Gulf Coast, taking scenic byways as much as possible, and needed an overnight near Rocky Ford, CO. Few options there, only an overpriced 2 star KOA right behind the Walmart. Allstays revealed the Mellon Valley State Wildlife Area just a few miles out, and there we boondocked in quiet, dark solitude in a designated fenced, level parking area. Each will have their own comfort level and need for predictably.
[ATTACH]

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	344178  
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
You may be disappointed at my answer, but for all those who aren't like me, this is why reservations are so hard to get sometimes.

We both work full time, can only camp on weekends and on Vacation and Holidays.

1-If we are doing a major Vacation trip, we try to choose a destination about a year ahead of time. Then we look at where we would want to stay at that destination and find out what is the earliest you can make reservations for the next season. For some places it is 12 months ahead, for some it is 6 months ahead.

This is the info and deadline we use to get reservations for the major destination. Examples are Yellowstone National Park, Banff Lake Louise, Grand Canyon, Tourist Area RV Commercial Park etc.

Once we have the major destination reservation secured, we plan our route and get reservations at commercial camp grounds or state parks on the way as soon as we can.

2-For weekends during the camping season, most of the places we go to have a 6 month reservation window. In November we start planning spring trips and getting reservations, continuing to roll through spring getting reservations and making plans. Right now we have all the reservations we will need for July, August, September, and October 2019.

3-We ALWAYS cancel ahead of time if our plans change and we cannot use a reservation. In appreciation for the peace of mind that reservations provide, we think it essential, decent behavior. I get upset when I see unused reserved campsites at full campgrounds.

4-We do check and have gotten last minute reservations on holiday weekend at desired locations. Both times were about a week ahead of time. So we have benefitted by others cancelling.

5-Yes, we always get a reservation.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
If it is a place people want to go to for a place or event its best to make reservations a long way out. The beach, the mountains, Yellowstone, Disney, and fall colors would be examples of those places. If it is a bare patch of land in the wilderness not so much. For example, For the rally at Destin Florida in January, forgot name, you put your reservations in 11 months to the minute for the State Park site. They will be booked up at Topsail State Park for that event a day or less after reservations open up. Now if you wanted to go to Gold Head Branch State park you could just show up most any time and find a spot. If you've never heard of Gold Head SP ……. you get the idea.

Limiting yourself to one club can be a problem. There are many that list. And many listings that list all of the clubs. You might not get the 10% discount but that's likely small dollars. Many RV parks offer senior discounts and veteran discounts for non holiday periods. Most require you to call and make reservations.

Look to for State Parks, National parks, National forests, KOAs, Good Sam, Thousand Trails as well as independents.

ReserveAmerica.com..... covers many of the state parks in many states and will also list other parks in your search area.

Recreation.gov...…….will list the national parks, forest parks and COE facilities.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
All valid replies which interestingly remind one of our different situations and preferences. Some are constrained by schedules and prefer to go where others are flocking, some are less constrained and prefer to avoid crowds. A bit of on the road experience is often the best teacher. It’s easy enough to use Rec.gov or ReserveAmerica to gauge availability at different times.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
You may be disappointed at my answer, but for all those who aren't like me, this is why reservations are so hard to get sometimes.

We both work full time, can only camp on weekends and on Vacation and Holidays.

1-If we are doing a major Vacation trip, we try to choose a destination about a year ahead of time. Then we look at where we would want to stay at that destination and find out what is the earliest you can make reservations for the next season. For some places it is 12 months ahead, for some it is 6 months ahead.

This is the info and deadline we use to get reservations for the major destination. Examples are Yellowstone National Park, Banff Lake Louise, Grand Canyon, Tourist Area RV Commercial Park etc.

Once we have the major destination reservation secured, we plan our route and get reservations at commercial camp grounds or state parks on the way as soon as we can.

2-For weekends during the camping season, most of the places we go to have a 6 month reservation window. In November we start planning spring trips and getting reservations, continuing to roll through spring getting reservations and making plans. Right now we have all the reservations we will need for July, August, September, and October 2019.

3-We ALWAYS cancel ahead of time if our plans change and we cannot use a reservation. In appreciation for the peace of mind that reservations provide, we think it essential, decent behavior. I get upset when I see unused reserved campsites at full campgrounds.

4-We do check and have gotten last minute reservations on holiday weekend at desired locations. Both times were about a week ahead of time. So we have benefitted by others cancelling.

5-Yes, we always get a reservation.

I appreciate your point #3 and urge others to do likewise. We see many reserved sites that go unused, because there is little penalty or incentive for people to cancel and no active on-site management to release the sites. Nat’l Park Rangers and CG Hosts have no control over this. I appreciate BLM, NF, COE and those Nat’l Parks that have either no reservations or have reserved some portion of sites as first-come.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Now that more commercial campgrounds think $50 a night is reasonable, and I'm just stopping along the way, I'm trying to use more state parks and COE campgrounds.
I really hate planning that far out, but it's becoming a necessity.
I even sat on Reserve America 11 months out to the minute to grab a spot at TopSail Hill. (and only four were available)
With the huge increate in RV'ing, the demand will be up and so will the cost.

I like the organizational skills of this couple using Google maps.
I'll have to watch this a few times to follow the flow.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEN View Post
I would carefully research Thousand Trails parks on Campendium or TripAdvisor and other popular/reputable review sites. We couldn't give our Thousand Trails membership away so just let it lapse two years ago. They were OK in 1998 but are of very uneven quality now, mostly full of residents and many have the feeling of senior citizen homeless camps. Some are in great locations so there are good reasons to visit, but don't expect consistency in quality.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #12
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Great info. Sounds like what We do with our timeshare. Plan ahead for popular tines& places.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
One more point. We travel with priorities and goals. For example we set the goals for the trip and make reservations to support those goals. Then afterwards the trip can have flexibility. Priorities include water the trip out includes campsites near or at paddling destinations. The goal for the trip may be at the paddling destination. The trip back often gets planned or more accurately "committed to" a day or two in advance.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
For my own travel style if I need a reservation to stay at a place I don't want to be there. I live in the country because I don't like congestion. I'd rather be home than in a crowed campground. Off season works well for me, preferring wind, rain and cold to crowds. I love all you folks but I don't want to be with you.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote