Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
AAA vs Good Sam road service

I am considering dropping AAA emergency road service and switching to Good Sam ERS. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is better??
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've got both. For the small additional cost it's well worth it to me to make sure where ever I am one of them will have local support. So far have only used the AAA equivalent for my area and they were great.

Barry
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I've been a AAA member ever since I started driving, so when I bought my Airstream, I upgraded to AAA+RV. The coverage seemed to be the same as Good Sam, but I have heard pros and cons on both sides. My "Brand Loyalty" will keep me with AAA for now.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Here's a thread from 2005 that talks about this: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ice-16411.html
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I've been a member of CAA (same as AAA) since I first got my drivers license. Their service to date has been flawless.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We belong to Good Sam's because of their extensive coverage; it we break down, they tow both the truck and the AS to the nearest repair center; it the repairs will take longer than 24 hours they will tow the AS to the nearest campground, how cool is that?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
I like the part about Good Sams, unlimited tow millage

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have both, but would keep Good Sam if had to choose. They did a great joib for us one Sunday morning in the middle of nowhere.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Aaa Rv+

Just a note, if your with AAA and you don't have the RV+ package they won't touch your RV. Many people make this mistake. We have AAA RV+ and (knock on wood) we haven't had to use it yet. AAA RV+ is $159 a year. You only get towed for 100 miles for free. Tons of details at the AAA website.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We have RV Roadhelp from Allstate and have been VERY pleased with it. It's about $100 a year and covers anything we drive. If you have a breakdown, it pays to take you and anything you are towing to the closest place that can fix your vehicle, not just within a certain mile radius. Brad broke down in the F250 towing a flatbed trailer and they towed him and the trailer to a shop in the next town. Turns out they couldn't fix the truck, so RV Roadhelp had him and the trailer towed to a city about 30 miles away that could handle the problem. No hassles, no problems. They also came out and changed a tire on the 310 moho when we were trying to get it home right after we bought it and an inside rear tire developed a huge blister. I would recommend them to anyone.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying
I like the part about Good Sams, unlimited tow millage
Not sure what part od Good Sam you belong to. I needed them this summer and they would only tow me to the closest "Stealer" and the closest campground. That tow was free but the the lacking dealer of Sam's choise distroied my engine even after direct instruction on what to do. Only cost me $10,000 in total.

By the way it took them 2 1/2 hours and several calls to redirect the driver to find me on route 84 in Conn. given that I had originaly given then a MILE MARKER. It turned out I was stopped less than 1/2 from the drivers house. The first location they towed me to had been out of buusniess for 6 months. The dispatcher said that was there obligation and only after the driver got on the phone was he allowed to continue to another location.

After that disaster I dropped them and went with AAA and had a $500.00 tow, to the location of my choise, done within the first week of membership

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
After over 18 years of good service as a member of AAA, I just dropped their AAA +RV last week. Good Sam ERS covers all my vehicles/drivers and the AS, should the TV break down. I posed the question to AAA, in writing or in person, on a national, regional, and local level, "What exactly would you do with the AS if the TV broke down", and received different, or ambiguous, answers from all. Further resaerch indicated the level of their service may depend on your location at the time of the event. That's just not good enough. The AAA maps were nifty, but have become less relevant with GPS. My new TV also has road service covered by the manufacturer for five years.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
I was a AAA member for 20 years before I bought the Airstream. In those 20 years I used them only 3 times in-state for towing and was 100% satisfied so I upgraded to RV Plus to cover the Airstream. Coincidentially I had to call for gas while out of state (waited 3 hours btw) within the first month of having the RV Plus plan. AAA immediately dropped me back to their basic plan (no RV, no Plus)

Hello Good Sam Club.

.............Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Not happy at all with AAA+RV and will probably add Good Sam coverage soon. We broke down on the way home from Yosemite last summer (right on US 99) and AAA at first said they would tow the TV but not the Airstream. They wanted to leave it right alongside the highway, just a few feet out of the traffic flow. When the Highway Patrol arrived they considered this a dangerous situation. We had to argue with AAA on the phone for about 1/2 hour before they agreed that our coverage also included towing of the trailer. Once that was settled, they towed us (truck and AS) to an appropriate repair facility. Since we were not in our home area for AAA coverage, we had to pay for the entire towing cost and submit a bill for reimbursement. To their credit, AAA reimbursed promptly and without further difficulty. Seems from this experience that AAA is very good locally but not so good when you are far from home.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Streamer
I am considering dropping AAA emergency road service and switching to Good Sam ERS. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is better??
another consideration is WHO provides your rv comp/collision insurance.

my rv insurance is with progressive and the 'road side assist/ towing coverage is excellent and covers the tow vehicle as well.

adding a good roadside/towing option is often much less expensive this way.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have Good Sams rv plan and have used it both to tow my vehicles and to repair a flat on a previous M/ H I had they responded very fast in all cases and did a great job with follow up to see if I was happy with the service I recieved. In all instances the service was great. I am also a Life Time member of the Good Sams club.....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
we have good sam ers and the one time we needed help we were in a rest area, 60 miles from nearest provider, made one phone call and within two hours they had us on our way. good sam has our vote.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
My parents had always been AAA members so it was a natural thing for me to do when I started driving. The problem I saw with AAA was that every time I needed them, so did everyone else (cold winter mornings with a dead battery). So one morning, over twenty years ago, after waiting for two hours for them to arrive at my home, in a large city the driver had to ask me where my battery was and he was still unable to start my car. I discontinued my AAA membership when it expired and never renewed it after that. Recently we joined the Good Sam program - hope it works better than AAA.

Regarding oher insurance companies that I've seen mentioned on the Forums, I can only suggest that you talk with your local body repair shops. When a pick-up pulled out in front of me last fall, I took it in for repairs and the shop asked for my insurance company. I told it was State Farm. I happened to mention that the other driver had Progressive. The shop told me that if I had Progressive, they wouldn't touch my car. With State Farm, I didn't even need any other estimates - they would pay whatever their bill would be, less my deductible. How do we know there are some companies that repair shops don't like to work with - or won't work with. Check them out before you start paying them your hard earned cash. (I'm NOT in the insurance business.)
Prodigy Brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
I took it in for repairs and the shop asked for my insurance company. I told it was State Farm. I happened to mention that the other driver had Progressive. The shop told me that if I had Progressive, they wouldn't touch my car. With State Farm, I didn't even need any other estimates - they would pay whatever their bill would be, less my deductible. How do we know there are some companies that repair shops don't like to work with - or won't work with."

I have been told Progressive is like having a HMO (medical ins.) they only pay what they think the repair should cost...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For road assistance coverage we compared Progressive (car and truck ins, Airstream too), Good Sam, AAA, Allstate. AAA has the worst coverage, Progressive wasn't so great. A friend highly recommended Allstate. It seemed Allstate and Good Sam were nearly identical, except Allstate had discount at KOA where we don't stop and Good Sam has discounts at a lot of places. All have introductory rates, so maybe we'll switch back and forth every year and save more. We chose Good Sam.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote