Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thumbs up AAA Road Service

Does AAA respond properly for your Airstream?

Does anyone have experience with a disabled TV and/or their Airstream when carrying AAA for both the TV & Airstream? Specifically when a towing incident occurs.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Driftwood,

We use AAA. The basic coverage is for anything that you are driving that breaks down, and gives you about 5 miles of free towing.
The next level up is AAA PLUS, that is the same as above but gives you 100 miles free towing.
Then there is AAA PLUS-RV. This rider includes your RV. I know what it covers for a motorhome, but I don't know about towables. We have it for our SOB motorhome, but I will call in the a.m. to see about the airstream.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Aaa

I also have AAA in California,and yes they will get both to the nearest station but dispatch MUST know in advance what they need to bring out.One might sit on the side of the road while they take one in then come back.Depends on what is avail. at the time.Not good enough for me my TT is only 14 months old.I have roadside with Coach-net they pick up both & have a decent plan at $79 a year.www.coach-net.com
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
RV plus

Your basic AAA service will not cover your TT. "RV plus" will tow both up to 50miles to a "safe place." I broke down in Seattle with the old TV (v8 astro). They pulled my Astro to the garage, and pulled my 26ft TT to my house. However, it took two trips to do it. No cost to me.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thanks Marc ..

Thanks Marc,

Since I have AAA Plus (classic cars are know for needing this!) I was considering dropping the road service from my Airstream insurance policy and adding it on to the AAA.

I have yet to evaluate the cost comparasion, but surly didn't want to go there if the AAA didn't properly treat our Airstreams (towables) around the Country.

I would not like to be in the position to have a TV problem, call AAA for the car/truck and have to call someone else for the Airstream!

Further, I like to keep my TV insurance underwriter separate from my Airstream insurance coverage, so if I have a claim on the Airstream (damage, theft, etc.) it most probably will not have an adverse affect on my auto policy ratings.

Does anybody else have an experience to relate relative to AAA Road Service for their towable?

(I just can not seem to refer to my Airstream as a 'trailer' - they are just too far above a common trailer for that reference).
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
At one time AAA RV coverage was not available in all states. I have AAA for the tow vehicles and I remember a disclaimer on their coverage documentation. That pretty much dropped them out of consideration since I don't want to be traveling in states where coverage isn't available.

One of my reasons for originally using Foremost and now Progressive as my insurance carrier for our Airstream is the fact that both companies have emergency service plans and call centers which will handle towing for both the tow vehicle and the trailer. The cost of this add on is about half of what folks like Good Sam charge.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Just off the phone in california again on towing Bambi.There is no (RVPLUS).AAA roadside has a section stating if the station does not have the ability to tow your RV or TT AAA will reimburse up to $200.They stated they only offer 2 plans AAA & AAAplus. Alot is up to the tow co.& what they have avail.Your reimburse forms are at your local AAA offices,and you must submit a receipt.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
Just off the phone in california again on towing Bambi.There is no (RVPLUS).AAA roadside has a section stating if the station does not have the ability to tow your RV or TT AAA will reimburse up to $200.They stated they only offer 2 plans AAA & AAAplus. Alot is up to the tow co.& what they have avail.Your reimburse forms are at your local AAA offices,and you must submit a receipt.
So you end up having the problem dumped back into your lap to find an appropriate party to tow you and assuming the problem is with the TV, both it and the trailer. I'll bet you that $200 may not cover that type of expense.

This is why you are better off with either a dedicated RV service provider or with an insurance company who has their own service center that can find and authorize dispatch of the needed services.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

You got it Jack!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
(I just can not seem to refer to my Airstream as a 'trailer' - they are just too far above a common trailer for that reference).
That is why I call it a "coach" or "coaches" It is also a lazy way to lump them all together, Motorhome or otherwise

Besides calling it a coach has an upper crust sound to it, and we are all known as being snobby rv'ers if we are in an Airstream, right???
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #11
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Trail-er

So ... if I have a trail-er (Airstream) behind my limousine, then I'm pulling my coach with my coach!
NORM #3305

... if you're handy ...
Old 05-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Cynthia, I have paid additional $$$$ a year for an "RV rider" to my AAA Plus membership. I paid extra for the "Plus" part of the basic AAA membership. In discussing this "RV rider", they will take care of our SOB motorhome (They told me to request a flatbed combo ) That would also include our TV and Globetrotter. YOur comment NOW has me concerned. I need to call our local office for clarification.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

AAA Membership

You can go to www.aaa.com and check out avail.memberships in your state.They list a 1-800# you can call about towing your RV.In Ca. there is only 2 avail. memberships!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Cynthia,
Looking at my AAA card, it has in blue print right below the blue box on the right hand side, "PLUS RV". I called my AAA office today. She explained it like this.
The "Plus" is for all the advantages such as fuel, locksmith, 100 miles free towing. The "RV" portion covers the same, locksmith etc.for the RV, and 100 miles free towing. For ex. tow car needs a tow, they will tow it 100 miles free. Since the Globetrotter is attached to the TV, it will be towed or trailered 100 miles free. Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Talking AAA RV Service

Don't forget to check out the Good SAM Emergency Road Service. The annual cost is $99.95 per year and its a no hassle service. I dumped my AAA membership several years ago and have not regretted it.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

We had AAA but there were to many limits on service, especially when it comes to towing both the Airstream and tow vehicle to where you may need to go for safety. Of course enough money with AAA and they will take you anywhere. We switched to Thor / Coach.net which has reasonable cost and will tow the Airstream and the tow vehicle where you need them, within reason. You must read the find print, because if you are boondocking off a dirt road or more than 15 feet off a paved road downhill or the tow truck driver hears a fart in the dark it ‘s tough to get a tow. There are so many caveats with the ‘general protection plans’ it makes your head swim. There is another thread on this tow subject on the forum.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

I have AAA & Thor/Coach-Net.I can't beat my homeowners & auto with AAA but Thor came with my new TT,& after talking with them I just felt more comfortable.AAA has way to many (gray) areas in Ca.Nevada & Utah.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Well said. Thanks