Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

A/C always on

Since we park the new Bambi in our side yard connected to electric service and the temperature here in Florida is now hot and getting hotter, I leave the A/C on in the Bambi.

Does anyone else leave there A/C on? I have my thermostat set at 80 degrees. It keeps the Bambi reasonably cool.

Thanks, Ed
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ac vs curtains

ed

after having my trailer spend most of it's life in florida over winters. all i can say is, it gets darned humid down there.

as a result some of my curtains got stained.

not only will the ac keep your unit cool, it will be dry as well.

it will cut down on anything nasty such as mold or mildew growing in there.

so it comes down to premature fabric replacement vs. premature ac failure from more than usual use.

your choice.

perhaps a dehumidifier would be a better choice. keep your trailer dry and not wear out the ac. when it breaks just toss it and get another.

high heat won't hurt your trailer as much as moisture inside.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

That's what I use here in Humid Louisiana, a dehumidifier. It still gets mighty hot inside the Airstream while in storage, often hotter than outside, but it's dry(ier) heat. I've been doing this for several years now, and we don't have to scrub the walls for whatever it is that grows in the humidity anymore. The water removed from the air is drained into the sink. Bought it at Lowe's for ~$180 or so. It's amazing how much water is removed and sent down the drain!
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Damp-Rid

I have 6 Damp-Rid tubs that always keep the trailer dry inside and smelling nice. It is amazing how much water they will pull out of the air. I go by frequently in damp weather and empty the tubs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i keep my overhead fan(fantastic) on , it has kept the temp down in the unit and i havent see any criters growing in there. it has a sencer for rain so i dont get flooded. it also has a thermostat that turns the unit off at night when the temp drops. i dont know if that would work in high humidity areas. might be worth a try. cheeper than a ac unit. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
A/C always on

I have utilized my Fantastic Vent Fan in much the same way as Al. The one thing that I have learned with mine is that high humidity (above 90% relative humidity) or fog will "confuse" the rain sensor and cause the vent to continually open and close. I suppose the greatest danger to this situation would be running the battery down if utilities aren't connected. I don't know whether the constant cycling will have any effect on the life of the fan or not. My fans are now nearly five years old and still functioning beautifully.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote