Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I like to "be" places, but the "getting to places" not so much. So I often try to drive pretty hard to just get there. My "longest day" so far is 850 miles. I was beat when I set the parking brake at the end of that day. 450-500 is pretty comfortable.

I'm heading to Alaska this summer, so I'll know a lot more about back-to-back long days after that. But one of the advantages of being more or less retired is that if I want to take another day or so to get somewhere, now I can. "Get-home-itis" kills a lot of pilots, and I suspect it's responsible for a lot of RV accidents too. So it's clearly better to stop before one gets exhausted. ... must ... remember ... stop ... earlier
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Back in my younger days we would do as many as 450 miles. Now our limit is about 350 top end. Figuring a lunch stop, gas, and bathroom breaks my average speed over the course of a day comes out to be about 50 miles per hour. So 300-350 miles is around a 6-7 hour day.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I never thought I'd look back at 65 and wish I were there again, but alas, 6 years have passed. We still drive long distances. Fortunately my trophy wife can drive a lot of miles while I read or stare out the window. Not clear how long that will go on since she's eligible for social security next week.

Like others, it depends on the highways and where we are going. Going to Alaska, 450-550 miles were commonplace. Traveling interstates or in the flatlands where there isn't much traffic, that distance is also the goal. On interstates we can average 55-60 with stops for gas and lunch, sometimes we can average higher. On other roads, average speed drops to 45 if there are lots of mountains, curves, traffic and cities and towns. We've been to 49 states, all the Canadian provinces and two of their territories, so we've seen a lot and don't stop in between when we are on one of our 3,000-10,000 mile trips.

It helps that both of us drive. Taking short naps while the other is driving is refreshing. I know my days of driving 1,000 miles a day are over unless I can stop at meth labs along the way, but they are not listed on gas buddy.

We usually leave a CG around 10 (common check out time) and may travel until 6 or later (on a 45 mph day, that's 360 miles, on a 60 mph day, 480). We notice we are often the last people to leave. One of the great pleasures of being retired is not having to get up early, but it doesn't seem everyone agrees. I also notice the lights are out in most RV's much earlier than ours.

We try to avoid large cities, but out west that can be difficult as there aren't any roads around them. Trying to schedule around rush hour helps, but is not always possible.

I like to keep on moving.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If headed somewhere in the summer probably 400 or so the first few days. Awful hard to stop at 3:30 in the afternoon the first couple of days with a 2000 or more miles to cover. After that, the 7 hour day thing , including lunch, works for me. Miles will vary depending on roads, etc.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
If headed somewhere in the summer probably 400 or so the first few days. Awful hard to stop at 3:30 in the afternoon the first couple of days with a 2000 or more miles to cover. After that, the 7 hour day thing , including lunch, works for me. Miles will vary depending on roads, etc.

To and from the barn I'm more likely to drive a little further, just to get past or back to the very familiar. Our trips are fairly casual, little discipline, with only broad directionality to them: north; south; east; etc. I start thinking about a sweeping loop to maximize the must-sees, minimize or eliminate backtracking, and off we go, usually sans reservation. I try to identify several spots where I might like to spend 5-7 days. Since we're retired, when we have to return is undefined, but eventually we acquire that urge to return home, briefly.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It helps that both of us drive. Taking short naps while the other is driving is refreshing. I know my days of driving 1,000 miles a day are over unless I can stop at meth labs along the way, but they are not listed on gas buddy.
I wish Judy would drive, but not. When I was still working and we had limited time, I once made 755 miles to get south. I was so fried, the next morning, I had clue zero where we were or how we got there!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #27
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
chi-town to Portland, OR in 3 days.

That's about 750 miles a day. It was a good trip, but not my cup of tea. I was more interested in making time, however than sightseeing. 7 hours is what I would like to see as Maximum time behind the wheel. Much less, if possible. BTW, I am still tired, and got home Monday late afternoon-today is Wednesday. I am functioning, but not rip-roaring.
ol' bill

I guess I better let ya'll know that 65mph was the max with a 30 ft 2000 excella in tow.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks to all of you for the great advice

Looking to see you on the road

John
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The less time on the road, the better. And since we rarely travel anything but back roads, we're generally pretty slow. Ergo, not very many miles in any one day. (And even more rarely, two days of travel in a row.)

Lynn
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Very seldom do we make reservations for the next night cg. That only puts the pressure on and then you can't stop at that interesting little town/tourist point, etc. when you pass. Being self-contained, we can stop anywhere we get tired.

We like to see the country and seldom drive after dark, but if we are heading east and pushed for time to be someplace, those clear summer evenings and fresh cool air are good for traveling.( if on good wide roads where wildlife is not to plentiful.)

When traveling West, we try to stop early and get a early start in the morning with the sun behind you. You sure get some good pictures early in the day with the sun on your back.

We also seldom travel with "buddies" as you just end up stressed out watching/worrying what they are doing.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Some rules are fairly simple. Rules meant as guidelines to avoid problems. 300-miles or 3 o'clock is a good one, as noted. The others are to avoid driving before sunrise and to be off the road well before dusk starts (not sunset, but earlier). In fact, one should (as one trip-plans) leave an hour to an hour plus one-half "built-in" at days end to be off the road . . some leeway to problems unforeseen.

All this assumes a fair distance over a week or so. Easy to overdo it the first days, but the toll appears by Day Two or Three.

As CrawfordGene notes above -- the average speed -- takes into account stops for fuel, food and a bit of stretchin' & walkin' around. Thus 45-mph means the entire day of travel, not the travel speed.

And, only in late spring through earliest fall do we have the long hours of daylight. Fall & winter should, rightfully, cut hours down some.

Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times around the World - Gaisma is a handy pilots tool for determining the hours of travel available on any calendar day.

And, as noted above (and elsewhere), if one drew a line on a map of the US from about D.C. to Cleveland, anything east of that line is slow travel. West, it improves to the Big Muddy, and is consistently good all the way to the coastal range of the West Coast.

For me a day of travel is about the food. An interesting road food joint, or a good looking rest area to have the dinner that's been cooking since breakfast in the TT (slow cooker in sink, etc). With two people there are nice ways to divide up responsibilities, not just driving.

The cost of fuel seems expensive until one finds a rhythm to moving across the country. Plenty of other ways to cut daily expenses in a "slow travel" mode.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Funny you should ask, we're both 65 1/2.

Today was about 4 hours give or take, I try and stay off of Interstates so sometimes the time between stops is longer than it could be. All things being equal getting parked in early afternoon and leaving the next morning around 10:00 works for us.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The others are to avoid driving before sunrise and to be off the road well before dusk starts (not sunset, but earlier).

Easy to overdo it the first days, but the toll appears by Day Two or Three.
Dusk is a concern because parking the trailer in the dark can be a problem, especially if it is a back-in. I got a scratch in a CG our first year because I couldn't see the trees, and that was going forward in a very narrow space.

Our distances do tend to drop after the first couple of days. On really long trips we now take 2 days somewhere every week to sleep late(r) and recuperate. We sure like seeing everything which leads to long, long trips and lots of miles. That also means a lot of gas—fuel is more than half our expenses on those trips.

Gene
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I am 74, My wife of 43 years is 64. We haven't traveled too far from home since our retirement 6 years ago because we like to 'stay' at favorite places a week or so. However, we are thinking of taking long trips soon. We have ventured on more than 5 hours drive and THAT appears to be my hourly limit if we know where we are going to 'land'. Night driving is difficult and the stroke that my wife suffered 6 years ago prevents her from any driving. Other than that and arthritis issues we have no major health issues. We did travel ( road trips) much during the early years of our marriage and when the kids were growing up we did major 'tours' with/for them. The only turn off for us is major highway travel. I'm sure such travel here in the west isn't as stressfull as east of the Mississippi. That is, of course we avoid the LA area. I know the SF Bay Area fairly well and know when to avoid those travel times. That all said my dream is to trailer travel to the DC area to visit our Navy son when he's relocated to Quantico with a trip to my home state, Michigan. Retracing my trip as a 14 year old along rte 66 from Michigan to LA is a wish also. Since we won't be in a 'hurry' to get anywhere I'd love to be able to map a 'blue highway' route where possible to realise this dream.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Some good points have been made to avoid "burnout". We spent seven days coming north from Ajo, Arizona, and I WAS fried when we got here. Mainly, I think, because we never stayed anywhere more than an afternoon and overnight. On the return trip, I'll plan on a day or more at one place to rest and re-charge. Of course, having the semi cream-into us at the end of our trip did not improve my state of mind!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Soapbox Rant Co-Tow!

I'm long divorced, quite contentedly, and have no expectations or plots of changing that status, but I do have moments of passing envy when I see couples who travel TOGETHER - not just in the same vehicles, but sharing the adventure and the chores.

One of my soapboxes is "Ladies, PLEASE Learn to Tow". Getting older isn't easy as our bodies find new ways to betray us, but my home campground is FULL of people who have been forced out of traveling because the husband can no longer drive. It shocks the spit out of me that some are in their mid 40's and most are in their mid 60's! They still camp, but the RV is now stored in the back lot, the campground tows it out to a site, "ma and paw" come to the campground in the family car and they spend two weeks camping 10 miles from their apartment. (Of course the wife can also have health problems that preclude driving, but normally hubby is the main driver.)

All too often when there's a pot luck dinner or even a casual conversation while folding laundry, I hear the lament, "Oh how we used to enjoy going to Lake Gaston or the Eastern Shore, or any number of destinations within a few hours drive." There's always the "I wish I'd learned to tow" story too. I have limited free time, but I do try to make time to teach these ladies, and there are a few others in the campground who also volunteer.

Ladies of 60, 70 or even older can learn to tow, but it makes so much sense to go ahead and start earlier (earlier = the next time it's hitched up and you're not in congested traffic).

Take it from me, as the husband ages it also becomes harder and harder to replace him with a younger model! So keeping the current one feeling young, healthy and semi-occasionally "frisky" could come down to something as simple as letting him take a nap for an hour or so while you drive.

DO IT NOW, your worst nightmare is that you're 100 miles from the nearest hospital and your husband bends over, makes snap-crackle-pop noises and can't straighten up! You now have NO choice but to tow the beast (and the Airstream) at least to the edge of a city where you can dial 911. Knowing you CAN tow even if you only do it occasionally is priceless.

Even if your husband is the one who most enjoys Airstreaming and you're just along to keep him away from predatory females like me, if you become a co-driver you'll probably gain interest in camping. And there is a certain confidence that comes from beating him at his own skill is there not?

Oh, BTW... believe it or not - if a husband thinks he's "available" ...I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot long awning pole!

Paula
Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As we both grow older I am aware of the fact that you never know when something may occur that will make you incapacitated. I found that Good Sam has a medical evac service for about $100 a year that will airlift you home if you need medical treatment that is not available locally. Part of that service also means getting your tow vehicle and trailer home along with the pets and spouse. Hopefully I'll never need it but at least we have a fall back if something happens.

Patty towed once back in my pre Airstream days. I was in Branson with severe back issues....which is a whole story itself. Bottom line I drove the van and trailer to Springfield Mo, where the Interstate intersected US 65. Patty took over the rest of the way back to STL on the interstate, white knuckled but did well. At the time I had a full sized van and we pulled a 21' Hi-Lo. That Hi-Lo was a pretty friendly trailer when tucked down behind the van. When we got home the next door neighbor who had towing experience backed the trailer into the drive.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
I am 74, My wife of 43 years is 64. We haven't traveled too far from home since our retirement 6 years ago because we like to 'stay' at favorite places a week or so. However, we are thinking of taking long trips soon. We have ventured on more than 5 hours drive and THAT appears to be my hourly limit if we know where we are going to 'land'. Night driving is difficult and the stroke that my wife suffered 6 years ago prevents her from any driving. Other than that and arthritis issues we have no major health issues. We did travel ( road trips) much during the early years of our marriage and when the kids were growing up we did major 'tours' with/for them. The only turn off for us is major highway travel. I'm sure such travel here in the west isn't as stressfull as east of the Mississippi. That is, of course we avoid the LA area. I know the SF Bay Area fairly well and know when to avoid those travel times. That all said my dream is to trailer travel to the DC area to visit our Navy son when he's relocated to Quantico with a trip to my home state, Michigan. Retracing my trip as a 14 year old along rte 66 from Michigan to LA is a wish also. Since we won't be in a 'hurry' to get anywhere I'd love to be able to map a 'blue highway' route where possible to realise this dream.

Neil
My wife had a stroke 12 years ago, and that means we need to stop every 90 minutes for her to stretch or use the facilities. We spent two years living and traveling the country in our Limited, and we found that by leaving by nine am and stopping by four pm the mileage didn't matter.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Exactly, Paula. Barb was eager to learn to do this after I figured it out and could explain some things from experience. I, at least, had towed a car cross country and a U-Haul trailer 250 miles. We waited 'til we were in the middle of the Mojave Desert with straight roads and no traffic. I would say she drives about a 1/3 of the time, and might do more if she could peal my hands off the wheel. After 3 or 4 pm I go into my sleepy time, so that's one of the times she drives so I don't fall asleep driving. She still won't back up and I keep telling her the same story—what if I get sick or die on a trip? She says she'll figure it out then, and I'm sure she will.

I'm proud of her. She wasn't raised to do "men's work", but this is something she wanted to help with. I think a lot of women who won't drive were raised the same way. Maybe the younger ones are different.

Another thing I see women avoid at campgrounds is setting up and breaking down. Barb helps with the hitch, does the stabilizer jacks (they are hard on my back), and does some of the hook ups (yeh, she avoids the sewer hose). She even takes the garbage out. A campground owner once said he was amazed to see a women helping and then I noticed I rarely see any women doing this stuff.

Now, how do I get her to change oil?

Gene
Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Another thing I see women avoid at campgrounds is setting up and breaking down. Barb helps with the hitch, does the stabilizer jacks (they are hard on my back), and does some of the hook ups (yeh, she avoids the sewer hose). She even takes the garbage out. A campground owner once said he was amazed to see a women helping and then I noticed I rarely see any women doing this stuff.
We see many couples who have the landing procedure split up, but most of the time it's "Dad" who takes care of it, with "the little woman" looking on. I deal with the hook-up, but with a mo/ho, it's no big deal. Yes, I take out the garbage.