Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
6,300 Miles and 4 Weeks Later

Rhoda (the traveling basset hound) and I returned tonight after a DREAMLIKE four week trip in SilverLeaf. Destinations included Vicksburg, MS (National Military Park), Houston, San Antonio, Padre Island, Big Bend National Park (FANTASTIC), El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix, and Sedona. This is the longest vacation I've had in 40 plus years. The verdict: an Airstream really is perfect for travel, just like I knew it'd be. Oh, and I ate ONE restaurant meal the entire trip. Awakening each morning in the desert meant turning on the furnace, but that's what it's there for. I used my two Honda's at Big Bend's Rio Grande Campground on one day when the temp exceeded 95. (No hookups wanted or needed.) Funniest moment: a guy came up to me in a park and said, "that sure is a pretty trailer, how many slides you got in it?" When I said, "none, this trailer is for TRAVELING not sitting in a park," he just nodded his head and walked away. I met some wonderful people, including a couple (Joe and Karen) from Denver who were on their shakedown with a 2006 Safari --- and having the time of their lives. To all: Airstreams are at their best when you are using them. And, to the guy in the park in Houston who has been full timing with his spouse for 6 years in a 25' Flying Cloud (I think it was 25), you have my undying admiration! Hope to see more of you on the road.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
sounds like a wonderful trip! work precludes us taking extended trips, for now we need to settle for a couple weeks here and there, and lots of local long weekends. Can't wait to get some miles between home base and where ever we end up!
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, Barry, on completing and so thoroughly enjoying this trip!

May it be the first of many meanderings.

It really is all about the journey.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
....and, Maggie, I feel a bit of "withdrawal" today. Cleaned everything out, washed SilverLeaf and put her in the shed (when I see you I'll tell you what this means). The good news is that I'm headed to Alumapalooza later this month, which I will probably extend on the return. AND, I'm planning a trip up to Lake George, NY in June (friends there...but I stay in their driveway), and from Lake George up to Nova Scotia. As you and Doug know, this is a wonderful life. I am now wandering around my 5,000 SF house saying, "do I really NEED this much room?" And, you are ABSOLUTELY right....it is about the journey. The destinations were great (even though I sometimes didn't decide until the night before where I was going), and I met some wonderful people. Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
How many slides?

Hi, just reading about your trip and the question about slides. My Safari has four slides; One pantry slide and three kitchen drawer slides.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Sounds like a great trip, and more on your list of upcoming ones. Nice to hear that all went so well and that you met so many nice folks on the road.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote