Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
50 amp to 30 amp?

I have a 2014 flying cloud Bambi 19 foot. Obviously it runs on 30 amp service. I have a reserved spot for the summer in a wonderful park however discovered that the site is only set up for 50 amp service. I want to make sure I don’t do anything that will cause electrical problems with my airstream. I called Jackson Center, and explained the situation. The gentleman I spoke with recommended getting a dog bone type adapter that would be a 50 amp male with 30 amp female connections allowing me to plug my trailer into it. He said there shouldn’t be any issue with the trailer, but if I wanted more peace of mind I could get an External surge protector. Does anyone have experience with this situation? Is it common/safe to connect a 30 amp airstream to a 50 amp service? Any recommendations on the specific dog bone adapter or external surge protector I should buy? As always, really appreciate all the help from this forum.
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
50 amp to 30 amp?

It’s no issue at all. Simple dog bone adapter will work just fine.

A surge protector is completely optional - I traveled for many many years without one and no issues.

If you get one I’d recommend a 30 amp EMS protector:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net

Have fun camping!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Everyone should travel with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Proline-Femal...ter+plug&psc=1

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I thought the 50 to 30 dogbone was a standard accessory and, in fact, my dealer gave us one when we picked up the rig. Surprised you don't have one. No issues whatsoever. In fact, at many full hookup parks the 30 amp receptacles are worn and loose - a disaster waiting to happen. Frequently, when 50 amp is available I'll pick that over a loose 30 amp. The 4 prongs of the 50 are much more secure than the three of the 30.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Both the 30 amp and the 50 amp service are going to be the same voltage, approx 120 volts. The difference is the amount of current you can draw before the breaker in the power terminal trips. If the only thing you do is turn on one light, it will draw less than 1 amp, whether you plug into the 30 amp plug or the 50 amp plug. If you turn on enough things at the same time, you might draw 40 amps (unlikely with your trailer) at which point the 30 amp breaker would trip, but the 50 amp breaker would keep on truckin’
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, the doggone is a good thing to have.
Remember, the power post does not "push" current to the RV, the RV "draws" what it needs. All the doggone does is use one leg of the 50 amp side, and you'll draw from that.
A word of caution, don't exceed the 30 amps, because the post can supply more and perhaps overload your cord. Your circuit breakers should trip if you turn on everything at once.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 AM   #7
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Thank you all very much. One follow up – several have mentioned being careful not to draw more than 30 A or the breaker will trip. How does one know how many amps you’re drawing at any given time? Is there a gauge or something to connect to have a constant read on this? Maybe I’m reading way too much into this as I tend to over analyze - Overall it sounds like getting the dog bone will suffice, and the External surge protector if I want the extra protection.
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:50 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldjeff View Post
Thank you all very much. One follow up – several have mentioned being careful not to draw more than 30 A or the breaker will trip. How does one know how many amps you’re drawing at any given time? Is there a gauge or something to connect to have a constant read on this? Maybe I’m reading way too much into this as I tend to over analyze
You shouldn't have a problem. You trailer's 120vAC circuit breaker panel should have a main breaker within that will trip if you exceed 30amps total draw. Just remember that if you do trip a main breaker and all the 120vAC appliances shut off at once, check your trailer's breaker panel first, then the service pedestal breaker.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
If you get a surge protector, you can get one that displays how many amps you are drawing. I’ve always found this interesting to know, so I can see the extra draw when the elec hot water heater kicks in, the microwave, etc.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Dog Bone 50amp to 30amp works great! We've used one for years and they can be found at almost every RV supply store.
We had a surge protector permanently installed in our rig years ago. No problems since.
Happy trails.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use this 30 amp model for our 30 amp power rated 23D and their 50 amp model for our Classic with 50 amp service.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oop_bw_c_x_3_w

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Both the 30 amp and the 50 amp service are going to be the same voltage, approx 120 volts. The difference is the amount of current you can draw before the breaker in the power terminal trips. If the only thing you do is turn on one light, it will draw less than 1 amp, whether you plug into the 30 amp plug or the 50 amp plug. If you turn on enough things at the same time, you might draw 40 amps (unlikely with your trailer) at which point the 30 amp breaker would trip, but the 50 amp breaker would keep on truckin’
Yes...
But your trailer is fitted with 15 amp breakers so this won't happen
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Airstream owner 30 years

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bev Hills , California
It's a good idea to carry a variety of pigtails for common electrical connections including an extra long extension cord, preferable #12, should you need it. Not all plugs are standard 110V and you may have 15,20 and 30 amp receptacles at 110V. Sometimes I've stayed in a motel and run the extension cord out the window to my RV to keep it charged in cold climates.
It's the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared"
Keithkleinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
You have to understand current is not pushed into your trailer - it is drawn .
You want to know how much current is being drawn - read the spec.s on what ever you plug in .
The metal on plugs & outlet are limited by how they are oriented - typical wall outlet is 15 amp , you can not plugin a higher current device into a 15 amp outlet - because the male ends change as the current changes .
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...ome-in-the-usa
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
I thought the 50 to 30 dogbone was a standard accessory and, in fact, my dealer gave us one when we picked up the rig. Surprised you don't have one. No issues whatsoever. In fact, at many full hookup parks the 30 amp receptacles are worn and loose - a disaster waiting to happen. Frequently, when 50 amp is available I'll pick that over a loose 30 amp. The 4 prongs of the 50 are much more secure than the three of the 30.
THAT is a good idea! I'm going to use that. Thank you
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Get a surge protector

I would definitely consider some kind of EMS surge protector. An EMS is a bit expensive, and the difference between this and an regular surge protector is that an EMS checks the wiring at the post and doesn't allow current until it checks out. This is especially important if traveling from campground to campground. Twice my brother has had his EMS system shut down the draw because of faulty wiring that would have burned out his electrical system. That's really expensive. They also prevent surges. One never knows about electrical storms, etc. A quick surge could fry your system in a heart beat.

So I bought an EMS system and use it whenever I go campground to campground, but also to prevent surges. They aren't cheap, but then again it's an insurance policy. Surge protectors are a bit cheaper.

If you are going to be in the same campground I would definitely buy a surge protector. You probably could get by without an EMS type system if you have the same spot all summer.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
One never knows about electrical storms, etc. A quick surge could fry your system in a heart beat.
Surge protectors are great for unexpected thunderstorms. But for an expected thunderstorm, unplug and go to battery power instead. That provides even better protection and ensures that your surge protector lasts longer.

Important to remember that all surge protectors are sacrificial. Once they absorb a specific number of joules of surge over the course of their lives, they're toast and provide no more protection from then on. One reason why I prefer a portable surge protector to an installed one— easier to replace when the time comes.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
We use a 50 to 30 from Walmart and a surge protector
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
We use a 50 to 30 reducer and a surge protector
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
After reading this post and another post titled "50A Monster" I'm confused.

The way I read this post, the OP has 30 Amp service on his AS but the campground only has 50 Amp service. The suggested solution is to get a 50 Amp to 30 Amp dogbone to connect to the campground 50 Amp outlet and then plug the 30 Amp cord from his Airstream into the 30 Amp receptacle of the dogbone. No one seems to have an issue with this solution.

In the "50A Monster" post the OP says their 50 Amp cable is a monster that is too bulky. The OP asks what would happen if they used an adaptor and tried to push 50 Amps over a 30 Amp cable? The consensus solution in that post is that you are asking for trouble as the 30 Amp cable is not rated to have 50 Amps go thru it and there is fire potential.

The way I read both of these, each OP is trying to potentially run 50 Amps of power thru a 30 Amp cable. One solution says its OK the other says you are nuts to do so.

The only thing I can think of is that the responses in this post seem to indicate that an AS with a 30 Amp breaker box will not allow the AS to "pull" more than 30 Amps of power from the 50 Amp service at the Campground. i.e the campground 50 Amp service is able to "push" 50 Amps of power but the AS will not allow it to pull greater than 30 Amps so the 30 Amp power cord will not be overheated.

Is this correct?

If so, I would think if you use less than a 30 Amp cord (i.e. a 15-20 Amp extension cord) your AS could still attempt to pull 30 amps and you could have a fire potential where the 15-20 Amp cord could fail? That seems to be what occurred in a you-tube video in one of the posts in the 50A Monster thread.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote