Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Woodland Park , Colorado
5 gallon water jug storage

We have a 22’ Sport and I would like to be able to bring water from home to drink. I am considering a few 5 gallon jugs, either hard plastic or even glass, with a small water pump on the top to dispense. Glass containers would give us the healthiest, best tasting storage but I am struggling with how to store these containers safely while we drive. If necessary, I’m up for hard plastic jugs. Any one have experience with glass containers? And any ideas on storage? I am considering the shower with something like a yoga mat on the ground and wrapped around the bottles.

Main goal with the water is to be able to bring from home or refill at a store with high quality water. I am opposed to single use plastic and the health concerns of storing water in cheap plastic. I also am trying to keep cost down so glass seems less expensive than steel.
movin-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
edison , New Jersey
I would just pack water bottles or 1 gal jugs and put in the fridge. I never trusted drinking from the water tank.
redvfr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I think glass gars will just become an issue as they start breaking.

We use the clear plastic jugs that come the grocery store and reuse them. We had about 7 gallons on our last trip which we carried in the cab of the truck. It worked out well for 3 days away.

Another option is to make your own fresh drinking water from the campsite taps using a filtration system into some plastic bottles. Or an online filtration system into your fresh water tank.

I would carry the bottles of water in my tow vehicle or towards the front of the trailer on the floor. Putting the water in the back will mess up your tongue weight by making too light.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
I was at my favorite BBQ spot the other day. They had one of their popup canopies held down with 5gal buckets with pour spouts in the top. The bucket original contents were the base for their sauce. Food quality buckets. Won't shatter and stackable when empty. And cheap.

Another use for 5 gal buckets.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I used to refill 1 gallon water jugs at home. A real pain to refill and find a place to put them. Last fall I installed an Aquasana home filtration system with their Claryum filters under my sink. Produces, fresh, clean delicious drinking water right from the storage tank or a city water connection. If dry camping, I refill 6 gal water tote jugs, then pour into the fresh tank to keep it topped off.
I use a first stage Camco filter when filling the tank or totes, or on the city connection. Then the Aquasana filters do the heavy lifting. Game changer...no more refilling bottles, and finding somewhere to store them. The water is delicious and clean. No I haven't had it lab-tested, but I'm trusting the documented effectiveness of the Aquasana filters. They capture 99.x percent of all the nasties. I do disinfect my fresh tank a couple times a year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6566.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	372584

Name:	IMG_6568.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	372585
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
I do disinfect my fresh tank a couple times a year.
Attachment 372584
Attachment 372585
What do you use to disinfect the fresh water tank?
Old 07-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
What do you use to disinfect the fresh water tank?
With my 39 gallon tank, I use 1/2 cup of bleach. I believe the most common suggested ratio is 1 oz of bleach per 8 gallons of tank capacity. I put it in a 6 gallon tote and pour into the tank, then finish filling with hose. Turn on each faucet to get the treated water through the whole system. Leave overnight. Drain system via water pump, appliances. Fill tank with fresh water and repeat once or twice. Lot's of how-to's are available online.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Find five gallon jugs that fit into the square plastic Milk Crates. The crates are stable and will not fall over and the jug is protected from damage from shiftlng loads. Mine are decades old Company Milk Crates... but new ones are lighter, a bit larger, but work just as well.

Thrift Stores may have the heavy crates. Great for hauling in the back of a pickup... stuff haulers.

Use a Water Filter at home when filling water containers. Although it may remove chlorine that slows algae growth. Or fill on the road. Our local water is not as good as National Forest office water in small towns!

Filtering keeps Calcium reduced so you do not get the white crust.

Fresh water tastes fine after several weeks Boondocking. Just make sure when your return home, rinse the interior and let the interior dry in direct sunlight. When it is dry... it is sterile. The screw the cap on loosely so it can vent. When put back to use... rinse, sniff it... and you are in business!

I do not add jack squat. After 40,000 years I still have my hair and teeth. You will as well, as I go to places that YOU may never stop. That is great. I get all of this for FREE.

IF you are a bit skeptical... get a glass and TASTE the water first. Sometimes you will want to drain your fresh water and refill. I could give you a list of places out WEST... but then again, you need to figure it out.

Been doing this since Water was invented...

Glass is not advised. Ever.

Five gallons has some weight. Buy a funnel that fits your Fresh Water Inlet on the side of your trailer. Cut the funnel end down so it still fits, but has the widest opening. It takes about two minutes to pour into the fresh water tank from a five gallon container.

Muster up the courage for the weight, as it will be empty soon enough.

I am Old. I still do it. Quality Water is found at Service Stations and National Forest Service campground pumps. Filter the NFS water using a pump... but the water AT the NFS office is often Spring Water, checked for bacteria and better than BEER. Better than Coors... for sure.

WORST WATER IN THE USA? Sweet Springs, Missouri You will taste SULFUR back in the 1970's Absolutely disgusting... but no Athlete's Foot if you wash with it. Your hair will stand up straight as it is very hard water... to drink and use.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Movin-in, we saw several Airstreamer videos with these silver containers on the counter. They’re Berkey Water Purifiers that operate on gravity. One couple that full-times in an Airstream Interstate motor home found a collapsible BPA free food grade poly film “made in the USA” pouch which they store filtered water for on the road. The one photo below shows three pouches and their Berkey on the floor of their wet bath.

We got a Big Berkey that’s 2.25 gallon capacity and use it daily at home then take it with in the Airstream. They make a smaller Travel Berkey which takes up less space.

You might consider something like this as you can make your own purified, not just filtered, water anytime. We got the pouches from Amazon

We’re never without clean water! Good luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5359EA68-8E15-413C-8336-A2C5CE24B998.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	372590   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB16A014-5D7B-46AD-B38D-B0508DC714D8.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	372591  

Name:	D4759C94-2BCC-490D-A115-4F386E990111.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	372592  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Everyone has some great suggestions. Pick the ones that works best for you. We use a couple items. One is a 2.5Gallon hard plastic container with a spigot, see picture. We fill this up when we leave home on store it in the shower on top of our shower mat so it won't slide around. Do not store it in your sink as too much weight. We use this for drinking water. When it empties we refill it with the campground water filtered through our external Camco filter hooked to our fresh water hose.

When we were in Moab, UT, we picked up a collapsible 5 gallon jug which stays empty in our exterior storage compartment. If we need additional water to add to our holding tank we refill it wherever possible (CG water / rest area water / Nat'l Park water fountains / wherever) and use a funnel to add to our fresh water holding tank. 5 gallons of water is heavy so consider that when you are traveling. These collapsible jugs come in handy as you only fill them when you need them.

We sanitize our fresh water holding tank each spring when de-winterizing using chlorine as discussed in previous posts. Camping, we use our fresh water tank for all our water to keep the water fresh in the tank. With hookups, we just keep re-filling it as it becomes empty. This keeps with water fresh and in good shape for whatever purpose you need. We are still alive after 40 yrs of camping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water gallon jug.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	372611  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
If you need/want more water storage capacity, and the bonus option to top up your fresh tank as needed, you may like the Aquatank 2. No, it's not glass or stainless, but it stores well and I got the 30 gallon one. You can fill water bottles directly and chill them in the fridge. I really love mine, especially for the ability to fold it away when not in use. My 7 gallon jerrycan is bulky to store.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
We use 5 gallon plastic jugs when we need water to boondock. Been using plastic jugs my whole life and it hasn’t hurt me or my wife. I store the jugs in my truck bed under a bed cover. Never had a problem. Remember you are camping.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
A 5 gallon glass container starts out at 12 lb empty and 55 lb full. Equivalent in weight to a 30 lb full propane tank. Add 10 more lb for a full 6 gallon glass container.

One used to be able to get the glass containers fairly cheep by visiting one of the office water cooler vendors but they moved to plastic years ago.

One type of place that still sells them are home brewing stores, which calls them carboys. They also sell handles to make lifting them easier. Some of the big box arts and crafts stores (Hobby Lobby, Michael’s) may also carry them.

We carry two 5 gallon Coleman square blue plastic containers in our shower floor area foo our drinking water supply. Initially filled at home, we go to Walmart or grocery stores to refill them via the Glacier water vending machine for less than 50 cents a gallon. Additionally, we carry an empty 6 gallon Igloo Jerry can in our tow vehicle for replenishing fresh water tank at the campsite. This container has a handle on the side as well as the top, making it easier to lift and pour into the fresh tank filler. I found a large funnel with a right angle spout that fits nicely into the fresh water filler for a “no hands” solution when filling from the large container.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I set up a 10 gallon Igloo Thermos (like you'd see at a soccer or football game) as an auxiliary water tank for winter boondocking, but now it gets used as the drinking water tank. Eventually I will install a triple filter (whole house filter for all incoming water, then two more to filter drinking water), but the 10 gallon thermos is the most cost effective and easy solution for now.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Blue Jerry jugs are for fresh water (only).
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Definitely think about a Berkey. Love ours and love the fact we don't buy or throw away any more plastic bottles.

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I set up a 10 gallon Igloo Thermos (like you'd see at a soccer or football game) as an auxiliary water tank for winter boondocking, but now it gets used as the drinking water tank. Eventually I will install a triple filter (whole house filter for all incoming water, then two more to filter drinking water), but the 10 gallon thermos is the most cost effective and easy solution for now.
Same here. Igloo cooler just like the utility trucks carry on board for drinking water. Fill completely with ice then you can open top and with a clean scoop You have ice if you need to chill a drink and clean water from the igloo spout as the rest of the ice melts.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
This thread incentivized me to order an Acuva Eco-NX for mounting under my sink in my 22FB. I'll mount the dedicated tap on the countertop next to my double sink and be good to go for safe drinking water.. I have a friend with one and he has loved it. Not cheap, but I found a coupon code online. Anyone who purchases gets a referral code that gives the buyer $100 off and also gives the referrer $100 off (good, I guess, for replacement filters). So there are likely plenty of referral codes available out there.

I'll let people know how it goes once I get it installed. It looks very compact and low power.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
This thread incentivized me to order an Acuva Eco-NX for mounting under my sink in my 22FB. I'll mount the dedicated tap on the countertop next to my double sink and be good to go for safe drinking water.. I have a friend with one and he has loved it. Not cheap, but I found a coupon code online. Anyone who purchases gets a referral code that gives the buyer $100 off and also gives the referrer $100 off (good, I guess, for replacement filters). So there are likely plenty of referral codes available out there.

I'll let people know how it goes once I get it installed. It looks very compact and low power.
It looks like these guys are in our neighbourhood. I will check them out as this seems like a good way to go for drinking water.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
Same here. Igloo cooler just like the utility trucks carry on board for drinking water. Fill completely with ice then you can open top and with a clean scoop You have ice if you need to chill a drink and clean water from the igloo spout as the rest of the ice melts.
Thanks for this idea. I have a 5 gallon one that has just been sitting around. If I know I will be boondocking I have room in my pickup bed to store and use it this way.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote