Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-in View Post
We have a 22’ Sport and I would like to be able to bring water from home to drink. I am considering a few 5 gallon jugs, either hard plastic or even glass, with a small water pump on the top to dispense. Glass containers would give us the healthiest, best tasting storage but I am struggling with how to store these containers safely while we drive. If necessary, I’m up for hard plastic jugs. Any one have experience with glass containers? And any ideas on storage? I am considering the shower with something like a yoga mat on the ground and wrapped around the bottles.

Main goal with the water is to be able to bring from home or refill at a store with high quality water. I am opposed to single use plastic and the health concerns of storing water in cheap plastic. I also am trying to keep cost down so glass seems less expensive than steel.
My favorite subject!
We carry three five gallon containers.
They live under the dinette table in a wooden tray that we made to hold them in place.
This is just for drinking water.
Where ever we are, we measure the local water purity in total dissolved solids, TDS, in parts per million, PPM.
This measurement we make with a thingy from Amazon for less than $20 and is kind of fun to do.
When we find some good water we fill up our jugs.

To date the best water EVER was in the Lee Vining, CA. campground. Comes right off the glacier in Yosemite and measured at <20 PPM. Very pure.

But 100 PPM - 150 PPM can be very tasty stuff too.

Taste is the final measurement.

Makes for great coffee.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #42

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Harrison , Ohio
Have you considered using a water filter pitcher like a Brita pitcher with a filter that reduces 99% lead? That’s what we did the last time out & had 2 extra pitchers (that fit in the fridge door) to transfer filtered water to so we could put water in the fridge & keep on filtering. Water tasted good & we can use local water & not haul water everywhere. When we move we store the Brita in the sink.
As for showering a whole ri filter system is your best bet.
DLExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
We follow the practice of the Living in Beauty couple Jim and Carmen. We only use the fresh water tank and don't ever hook up "city water". We always fill the tank before hitting the road. This way, the water in the tank is always good and hasn't been sitting for long periods.

When we fill the tank, the water is filtered using a Clear Source water filter. If water conditions warrant it (I test it using test strips), it is conditioned using an On The Go® Portable Water Softener.

For drinking, we run the water through a Berkey filter. So water we drink is triple filtered, counting the two filter stages of the Clear Source. We are going to have a Seagull water filter installed next, and use that instead of the Berkey.

We keep a 6 gallon Jerry plastic can for hauling fresh water if needed. We also have a 60 gallon collapsible bladder we can fill with fresh water if needed. I have a drill pump to move water from the bladder to the tank.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #44
IM Streamin

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Acuva, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
Thanks. I wired it 12V directly to the fuse panel, sharing a fuse with my cell booster. I didn't have to remove the sink. I was fortunate to see that I could remove my utensil drawer and install the shark bite tee cutoff there. Photos attached.

Oh, and the water tastes great.
I am in the process of installing the same Acuva unit undersink in our 26U. During install yesterday, we got to the spigot install and stopped. Now we're waiting for the arrival of a matching single faucet with integrated sprayer. The chrome wasn't working anymore.

I still want to improve the outside filter from the simple Camco inline so the freshwater tank has a better base quality. Research in progress.

...Wanted to eliminate the ongoing gallon jug mgmt and free up storage space. Also purchased a 50 gal potable water bladder to use for boondocking situations.

It's been a busy project summer since we are mostly home based. Just finished a large upgrade to 4 lithiums, inverter/converter, phase detector, and a 600w solar system. Looking forward to trying out all the new stuff.
IB Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Streamin View Post
During install yesterday, we got to the spigot install and stopped. Now we're waiting for the arrival of a matching single faucet with integrated sprayer. The chrome wasn't working anymore.
Yep. I have a hansgrohe Focus arriving tomorrow and will be installed for the exact same reason.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
One of our camping friends uses a 30 gal. BLUE BOY; yes you heard me right. he has it marked for fresh water and uses a battery operated transfer pump to add to fresh tank.
Oh the looks he gets when people see him transferring from the Blue Boy to the tt.
He "bleaches" it each season.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We carry "home" water in 2 1/2 gal clear plastic jugs we found at

dollar General. They measure about 12 x 18 x 3 with a large opening at top and a spigot on end and a carry handle.
We store in shower for travel, and it fits great along stove for use. We use for coffee and drinking.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Yep. I have a hansgrohe Focus arriving tomorrow and will be installed for the exact same reason.
You know that the counter top wont match the hansgrohe.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
You know that the counter top wont match the hansgrohe.

Haha! Well, you’re not wrong. But the fact that it’s white helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3434.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	373486
Old 07-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Did you change out your blinds as well?

Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Did you change out your blinds as well?
As soon as I bought it, I replaced all of the mini blinds with OceanAir shades.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
As soon as I bought it, I replaced all of the mini blinds with OceanAir shades.
That makes sense, the mini blinds are pretty crappy.

Do you know what sizes you ordered from OceanAir? How are they holding up? I would think that they are much better than the stock mini blinds. I would imagine 3 different sizes for 3 different spots.

Were you able to reuse the existing holes for mounting?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Keep it simple! Only once hooked up have we not liked the water from park even after it went thru our outside filter. From now on we carry blue five gallon plastic jug (made for camping with spout) with water from home. Often never use. If we run out we buy some in town in gallon jugs. Don’t use for showers, only drinking. And there’s always plenty of beer!
Of course we are not full timers and like to keep things basic, if it’s too fancy it’s no different than staying home.
AMEN! KISS. After pneumonia, ameobic dysentary, giardia, unknown self-limiting tropical virus, food poisoning (more than once), working in several developing countries and doing daily saline nasal flushes for past 14 years using tap water from Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Oman, Tunisia and having brushed teeth with water from these places as well as from Brazil, Venezuela, Trinidad, more US states than I can recall, seems the human body may be more resilent than we think. Well, never say never, I may end up with that horrible brain ameoba yet. And I won’t hook up in Flint, Michigan.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Subscribed.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Do you know what sizes you ordered from OceanAir? How are they holding up? I would think that they are much better than the stock mini blinds. I would imagine 3 different sizes for 3 different spots.
This was actually one I didn't do myself, since the camper was brand new. I had my dealer do it for me, so I don't know the sizes. It appears they used some of the same holes; the others got rivets to seal them up. Those blend just fine.

They've held up great, and I keep them drawn to keep the sun out of the camper. I probably should come up with a better solution, since I know shades last longer when they're not drawn.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
We just bought 5 of these 1 gallon guys to carry our drinking water. Small enough to store around the rig and one fits in the refrigerator. We bring
r/o from home and can fill on the road as needed. We've only used them a few times so far and finding quality water on the road is probably going to be challenging. [emoji848]Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200720-221944_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	373508
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I would be worried about the weight of a couple of 5-gallon glass water jugs in your shower stall. Some porpoising or bad roads could bounce them, perhaps cracking the material the shower stall is made of?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Movin-in, we saw several Airstreamer videos with these silver containers on the counter. They’re Berkey Water Purifiers that operate on gravity. One couple that full-times in an Airstream Interstate motor home found a collapsible BPA free food grade poly film “made in the USA” pouch which they store filtered water for on the road. The one photo below shows three pouches and their Berkey on the floor of their wet bath.

We got a Big Berkey that’s 2.25 gallon capacity and use it daily at home then take it with in the Airstream. They make a smaller Travel Berkey which takes up less space.

You might consider something like this as you can make your own purified, not just filtered, water anytime. We got the pouches from Amazon

We’re never without clean water! Good luck
We have a Berkey and I just ordered those pouches, SWEET!!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote