Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Bob...glad to hear you say that. I know it is a winding and potentially stressful route sometimes, but that's probably part of what makes it so spectacular. If you can do it with a 25' with no trouble we should be able to do it with a 19'! I guess we should start plannigng it now for next summer. Any hints on the best time of year to do it?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I havent spent any time on HW101 in California, but have spent a lot of quality time between Yachats and Astoria. Most of it on a motorcycle stuck behind those damn RVs...
Anyhoo that stretch of road is a little twisty, but not treacherous like the descriptions of it down south and it sees bigger RVs all the time.
What you will find somewhere between San Fransisco and, say, Bandon Oregon is a demarkation point where 101 no longer goes along The Beach and starts going along The Coast.
THe Beach is where people gather together in bathing suits to sunbathe, frolic in the water and surf. The coast is where people wear Goretex and polar fleece to dig for clams, drink beer and identify non-locals by the way they pronounce the town names.
Its also a fantastic drive and probably one of my favorite stretches of road in the country.
Ive been toying with the idea of making and extended trip with my wife & kids in the ol' Avion and have daydreamed a few things.

Late summer/early fall (July 15th - Oct 1) is best bets for weather.
Mo's Clamchowder is a small chain that can be found in Newport, Lincoln City and Otter Rock, well worth stopping in for the bowl of chowder or a bucket of steamer clams. I'm partial to the Lincoln City one, since thats where my Grandma worked at for over a decade, but it would be hard to park a trailer at that location. Otter Rock Mo's is a better bet since it shares a parking lot with Devil's Punch Bowl state park, which is worth viewing itself.
Yaquina bay lighthouse and the Newport waterfront are good tourist destinations. Under no circumstances take a trailer longer than 5' to the Newport waterfront.
Up the road a ways, you have Tillamook (pronounced Till-a-muck) where they have the Tillamook Cheese factory right off the highway. If you like cheese (and really who doesnt) they do tours.
I like Cheese.
Once you hit Astoria, there is the Astor Column at the top of a bluff overlooking the mouth of the Columbia River. A nice place to take in the sights.
Fort Stevens State Park is on the very NW tip of Oregon and nice place to camp. Also the only place in the continental United States to take fire during WWII.
From there, you can take the bridge over to the Washington side (pronounced with an "R") or go 30 or so miles inland on US30 to Westport Or and take the last running ferry on the Columbia River to Cathlamet and take highway 4 to west back 101 or east to I-5.
I dont know what the camping options are in the Olympic National Park, but just the drive up the Olympic Peninsula is worth the trip. Then take the Ferry from Port Townsend over to Whidbey island and up to I-5 to avoid Seattle completely.
Dont get me wrong, I like Seattle, I'd drive my trailer down a burro path to the bottom of the Grand Canyon before I drive it through Seattle traffic.
Plus I could easily spend a week with the trailer planted in Whidbey, living off salmon and mussels.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Of course, as has already been pointed out there are a zillion (by actual count) nice places in the south of California, but once you get to San Jose, be sure to get onto the I280 from there to San Francisco.

It's not called "The World's Most Beautiful Freeway" for nothing...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #24

2007 25' Classic
San Clemente , California
Coast Trip

What fun! Suggestions for going up Hwy 1 --- Pismo Beach SB or anything in Pismo is great - be sure to go to the beach!
Morro Bay SB s/b size okay for your A/S - not the strand, but the SP next to the bay. San Simeon SP is pretty nice too - if the sites are too small check out the 2nd campground (it's gravel but is higher and has some great views). Dittos on checking out the elephant seals - not to be missed. We were able to go to Kirk Creek campground north on Hwy 1 - spectacular views - but check out online to see if you'll fit! Good luck north of that point - road is do-able, just take your time!
Skipping north of SF - don't miss the Redwoods and be sure to stop at Jedediah Smith SP --- beautiful spot with a "river running through it".

Have fun!
occoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
My opinion- do hwy 101 up the Oregon coast you won't regret it! We see tons of trailer trucks, RVs and TT passing our house and it's not a problem really! Plenty of camp grounds, scenery, and ocean air. Hwy 101 is 1.5 hrs from I-5, back and forth makes little sense to me. I know the Oregon coast, "Trust me, I'm NOT from the gov't."
call-me-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Good advice. I break out into a nervous sweat just driving in traffic with this thing. Don't need to be stuck hanging off a cliff. : )
I went around a curve a few years ago, and nearly creamed a tour bus in my lane, when towing our 31'. All I could hear was squealing brakes and screaming passengers, both in the bus and our truck...
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
July can be foggy along the CA coast. My preference would be April-June or Sept-Oct.
If you are going South on CA 1, there are pull outs to stop for views or let cars pass. It's a wonderful trip.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
We were on Hwy 1 this weekend between San Francisco and San Simeon. You should experience all that this stretch of Hwy 1 has to offer. However, I would not take a 31' trailer between Carmel and San Simeon. Find an RV park, unhook, and spend 2 or 3 days exploring without the trailer. Much safer for everyone else on the road, and you will not be bothered about the trailer. Lots of places to pitch a tent for a night if you are inclined.

Short stretches of single lane road currently exist south of Lucia and south of Bixby Bridge on Hwy 1. I think one other spot closer to Cambria but I can't recall for sure.

If you are DOD-affiliated, check out Monterey Pines RV Park or the RV Park at Camp San Luis Obispo. Monterey would be centrally located. San Luis Obispo would be at the end of the fabulous California Central Coast area.

On the Monterey Bay area, there are 2 KOAs. One in Prunedale (10 minutes from the water) and one in Moss Landing (camping next to the harbor). Also, Marine Dunes RV Park is located on the tall dunes next to the water. Easy beach access.

If you are into water or wildlife, Moss Landing is home of the Elkorn Slough. Good boating opportunities and lots of wildlife to view.

Santa Cruz is a neat town. Good place to surf.

Hearst Castle is really a must if you've never seen it. Last time I looked (years ago), there were 4 tours available. It would have taken 2 days to do the tours, and you still wouldn't see it all.

Any of the Redwood Forest State Parks along Hwy 1 or US 101 are worth seeing.

Lots of wineries along US Hwy 101 south of Salinas to San Luis Obispo if you are into tastings.

Horse rides on the beach in Big Sur. Hiking everywhere.

So much to see. One month isn't enough.

Enjoy.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I don't care for Mo's. I live near Lincoln City but can't offer you camping, unfortunately; your trailer wouldn't make my driveway. But maybe we could get together anyway. You'll definitely want to hike Cascade Head here -- it's an easy hour up & back.

And it sounds like Al's place is near Seal Rock, hands down my favorite beach in the area.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Good advice. I break out into a nervous sweat just driving in traffic with this thing. Don't need to be stuck hanging off a cliff. : )
This sounds like a great trip.

Fears about tail-swing seem real until one is comfortable placing the TV steering axle farther out toward the lanes edge on curves (sometimes both, alternately) than when solo. It's a valid concern.

Could have used an editor, but I've tried to impart some of what I've learned here in these:

If the TV rear axle is properly located, all else is easy:

A Long Trailer

Break the day into legs of known length/time; and give the day a "center point" of a particular attraction:

Trip Plan

Divide the steering/shifting/braking workload:

Foot & Hand Control

Some time spent on hitch-rigging as you make your way across and out of Texas will help. Finger-tip response is everything (making those last small adjustments whether it's the WDH or tire pressure or mirrors or seat posture).

Same for brakes. Find some gravel roads and find out what the TT tire lock-up speed is at 15-20 mph. In the wet. Etc.

A driver can cut his stress levels by knowing the distance between points on his itinerary. If you've a way of determining the mile markers or GPS coordinates of scenic two-laner "pull-outs" (that are of adequate dimension for your rig) via notes kept at hand, this will be a relief: "just 3-miles ahead . . . . to get the other traffic around. I might also advise practicing this beforehand. It can take some counter-intuitive moves to have the trailer either parallel or tail-inwards once stopped. And enough room to get back out (preferably with the rig in a straight-line or with but "one kink" to work out in getting back onto the road surface.

Don't forget that Google Maps Streetview is your friend when it comes to determining both the above and fuel stops while trip-planning on the previous day[s]. In a gasser I like to choose retail locations that are on my side of the road, past any intersection between it and the highway entrance; with preferably three entrances and exits. I also look for bar ditches and other abrupt grade changes; driveway width and off-street parking availability for inspections and repairs. I record the addresses & telephone numbers of the retailer ahead of time in the event I need to call for outside service (tires, for example). A big c-store/fuel retailer is likely known to mobile repair personnel. (Thus the clerk is informed of who I am and whom I have called and why).

Frankly, I think truck stops trump the ordinary gas stations any day for all of the reasons above plus others. Use the AMBEST directory of same, then the giant chains, for preference.

I mention all this because California is not nearly so well "blessed" with fuel retailers as other places. Their roads aren't well-marked all too often, and repairs may lack. It's a good and bad thing.

That drive is one I've long wanted to make. Have been on parts of it, but never the whole run.

Take care

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
3/4 the way through my trip, and I Just wanted to make a quick post about the drive up PCH through Central California (Big Sur area). I ignored the warning and went ahead and did the drive. It was totally worth it! Definitely tricky at parts, especially with a 31 ft trailer, but like some said on here...just drive slow and be attentive to cars behind you and coming around corners. I am in San Francisco now about to venture north. Looking forward to seeing the Redwoods and more...
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
ad73,

na,na,na,na,na,na We told 'ya so....Kings Canyon area is a gas, enjoy the rest of your trip.

Bob
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #33
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Here are some suggestions; almost all are places we've stayed. Hwy 1 is a slow, but very doable AS tow. Going north you're on the inside lane. You'll still have breath taking views, but your wheels won't be hanging over the edge. Our second trip with our new 27' AS was southbound. No problems. Be extra alert, pull over for following vehicles and watch out for bicyclists. It's advisable to check the CalTrans website ahead of time to make sure the road is actually open. A week after we stayed at Kirk Creek, there were washouts to the north and south of us that would have effectively prevented us from getting home. It is a "white knuckle" tow, but thousands of RVs make the trip without incident every season. And simply put, it's an experience of a lifetime.

1. Morro Bay State Park in Morro Bay. Very nice, but fills up. There are private alternatives in the immediate area.
2. Kirk Creek Campground, 25 mi south of Big Sur. SPECTACULAR campground on a bluff above the Pacific--see my avatar. They set aside 50% of the sites for first-come, first serve. Get there before 9 and you'll most likely get a site. No hookups, or dump station, and drinking water is problematic. But that's all meaningless after your first sunset ...
3. Veteran's Park in Monterey. A little-known place to spend the night within the city limits of Monterey. No hookups, but they have hot showers, flush toilets and a dump station. Park you rig, and try some of the really good restaurants in the area. The Wharf is just over a mile away.
4. Half Moon Bay State Park, on the beach, within site of Maverics, but fills up fast. Flat, grass sites with paved pads. No hookups, but flush toilets and a dump station.
5. Cassini Ranch on the Russian River near Jenner. Private, full hookups available.
6. Salt Point 16 mi north of Jenner on Hwy 1. Nice location on the coast. Stay at Gerstner Cove on beach side of highway. Short walk to tide polls, beautiful views. No hookups, no dump station, but they do have flush toilets.
7. Pomo RV Park just north of Mendocino. Private, very well run, pretty, and full hookups. Large, level pads and campsites. Lots to see and do in the immediate area.
8. Oregon and Washington Coast. Can't go wrong at almost any state campground. They're clean, well maintained, beautiful, and we've always been able to find sites on FC/FC basis. Don't bypass Honeyman State Park in Florence at the north end of the dunes. They have hundreds of large, paved campsites, many with partial and full hookups. Further north don't miss the Ho Rain Forest. It's an NP, but there's a nice WA state park just north of the entrance. Stay there.

Enjoy your trip and send pictures ...
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote