Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Oliver: Two shades per Double Pane Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I would like to see a lot more interior photos of your Oliver.
The greatest appeal for me in Airstreams is how much light comes inside through the beautiful big windows. How have you found the light inside the Oliver?
Will not disappoint you PatLee... the Oliver has the absolute perfect window treatments.

Large windows. Sliders. Double pane. Four double windows.

Shades: Ohhhhh Weeee! Pull up the lower shade and it reduces light by 50%. Pull down the upper shade and it reduces light 100%. High quality and we would have never known there were shades, as they slide down and have a fiber glass strip that conceals them.

Windows are tinted and without shades... you cannot see inside during the day. Adjustable LED lights over the beds, front and back ends, eating table and fantastic FM reception in the mountains in Utah.

When I... ME.... walked around the 2019 27 foot at night when we first used it... I hit my head on the edge of an open window sticking out a foot or more. Why that kind of design? My head is thick skulled, so not much damage to the window, either. Others may not notice at night walking by... and whammmo.

I liked the windows on the 25 and 23 foot pre-head whacker models, better.

All of the interior locking mechanisms are probably for custom boats. They swivel and drop into a recessed area and DO NOT OPEN WHEN TRAVELING. None, Zip. Overhead storage have the secure locks. The sliding drawers drop into something and use the same plastic mechanism as our Airstreams. These have not opened on any roads we have traveled.

My one noted issue, but obviously nobody seems to have had an issue. The two 30 gallon propane tanks are secured like the Airstream propane tanks, but not as secure with the wider base they sit upon. Has the same threaded rod and bracket, but can wobble side to side. I can imagine some metal fatigue at the base and maybe break.

Airstreams propane tanks are much better secured. I am working on this one... unless I walk into the 27 foot Airstream open window in the RV Garage.

Radio is going to ALL FM Stations. There is no AM in the Oliver. Too much static for AM with fiber glass hulled body.

Two burner Dometic cooktop in Oliver. We discovered... two is enough for us. Saves counter space was the purpose of installing two burners. Space is tight and we learned how to use it, without laying junk everywhere... I actually put things...away.

Any other questions? We have cleaned out the Oliver from the last trip and have found... NO projects in the interior. I am thinking about the Propane Tanks... and looking for something to tinker upon.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Switz... going to the dark side... Oliver?

AFTER Three Rocky Mountains trips... I adjusted the fit of the door latch in 5 minutes and used three 1/2" Lath Screws. Filed the end of the door mechanism as it had a rough edge, and it now slides just fine.

That is all I needed to do on the Oliver. Same tire pressure, same roads, same tires, same tow vehicle that I use for the 27FBQ, too. Why is my Airstream so... delicate? The Oliver II... is built like a Neanderthal and not a Princess who feels a pea under a mattress?

I did look for popped rivets on the floor in the Oliver. Just a habit I picked up owning three Airstreams. I am getting therapy... called, use the Oliver more often.

Oliver has a video of the factory floor. Not many being made at one time and one person assembles much of the interior to spec.

Oliver probably has their interiors shown as well, as a previous poster had an interest.

Switz has 750 years future technology in my opinion. If is not made of flint... it becomes complicated for me.

We have four large six volt batteries and two large solar panels on the roof. Even at sunrise and sunset the solar panels are picking up solar. We do not plug in at home as we get 5 hours of outside charging.

Someone asked about the two twin beds. They measure 30 inches wide x 73 inches long x 6 inches thick and firm. Curved as the end fits into the rear curve of the trailer. After hitting my head adjusting pillows on the seam for the upper and lower Hull... I finally learned how to roll in bed without falling onto our older Blue Heeler sleeping between the beds on the floor... I managed to figure it out.

The Blue Heeler has a pet pillow under the 'kitchen table' for security from my falling out of bed.

Bedding: Tuck in the foot and the wall side sheet and covers and put bedding under the mattress to hold it all together. Learned that when the covers are all pulled out and on the floor with two Blue Heelers on top of them.

Getting use to a narrow bed, a 6 foot Neanderthal, who rolls twenty times during the night... it took a few nights to get the 'hang of it'. A Queen Bed in the Airstream I can fight my way across the bed in my sleep... but these twin beds? you have to be a Cha Cha Dancer with delicate movement to roll.

Our 'young' Blue Heeler Pup... cuddles on the covers with the wife and loves the Oliver, as well. I stay on my side of the trailer... sure makes evenings dull.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Funny How Ignoring Repeat Customer's Complaints can be dangerous

Throughout my working career I practiced a principle of "the customer is always right" even when they're dead wrong. I looked forward to meeting my unhappy customer to make it right because if I could, I had a lifelong customer.

It's been my observation that new companies or growth companies have for the most part have followed that principle. However, when companies have market dominance and little competition, (Airstream), they have forgotten where they came from and how they got there. They have now become complacent and caviler by ignoring a customer's complaint. After all it's only one customer, so what? Done enough times, it becomes a widespread habit and a general contempt for the customer and your sales fall off the chart. It's irreversible and you're out of business.

This is especially bad if it happens to a repeat loyal customer who now is really pissed off and is going to tell everyone they meet about the poor or no AS service.

Case in point. I have been thinking about buying a new Airstream, our 3rd. But I have been unhappy with the no-service I have been getting on my 2017 30' FC from So. Cal Dealerships. Unable to find a reputable Airstream service provider in my area. I also have noted some of the changes in the electronics (whistles and bells) in the new AS that tend to make it more complicated to operate and thus more dependent upon the no-service dealer than ever. So coupled with Ray's recent experience makes me want to pause and rethink "do I really want to go down this path?"
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Someone asked about the two twin beds. They measure 30 inches wide x 73 inches long x 6 inches thick and firm. Curved as the end fits into the rear curve of the trailer. After hitting my head adjusting pillows on the seam for the upper and lower Hull... I finally learned how to roll in bed without falling onto our older Blue Heeler sleeping between the beds on the floor... I managed to figure it out.

Getting use to a narrow bed, a 6 foot Neanderthal, who rolls twenty times during the night... it took a few nights to get the 'hang of it'. A Queen Bed in the Airstream I can fight my way across the bed in my sleep... but these twin beds? you have to be a Cha Cha Dancer with delicate movement to roll.
Thanks for that feedback, we have a 25’ RBT and really like the added space we have in the center aisle, but I struggle to flip over at night and the AS twin is 34” wide so I am a bit apprehensive about even less space. I have already made my platform wider, and made a more narrow cabinet top, and still I wish for a little more width. Wife is totally fine with her side. Add to that with the fiberglass cabinet in the center for the Ollie, which I don’t have the skill set to re-size after the fact, and now I am even more apprehensive, but it’s still a very interesting path for a future trailer change. Also appreciate your rather extensive feedback, it is invaluable for those of us that play the “what if” mental games regarding future trailer options. Thanks for all your insights.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I would like to see a lot more interior photos of your Oliver.
The greatest appeal for me in Airstreams is how much light comes inside through the beautiful big windows. How have you found the light inside the Oliver?
Ray,
Thanks for the write up! I too was very interested in the Oliver II before we purchased our AS. The windows and the inside width (23 vs 25/27) was what sold us on ours. Without ever seeing an Oliver in person, just imagining it from pictures we saw. So I would love to hear your perspective on that alone. Coupled with hearing how you had to learn to sleep in the Oliver, I’m still think we made the best choice.
Keeping an open mind for the future.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Customer input to products is considered 'gold' in Toyota circles. I hope Airstream leadership is paying attention to all the 'gold' I'm reading here.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #27
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Hopefully AS will come around to listening and changing. I’m not particularly optimistic about that though. Maybe Ford has come around, it seems like it, but I went through three explorers and an expedition, before I switched to Toyota. I’ll never switch back. (FJ, LC, and Tundra)
I haven’t been particularly unhappy with any of three AS trailers (19, 23, and 25) but they could have been better. We like the room of a 25, the large open feeling of all those windows, and I do like the aluminum exterior, that must be my elitist snobby side showing.
I think we will have this 25FB GT until we are done camping. Lifted, lithium, and portable solar, it does everything we ask, goes where we want to go, carefully, and can boondock as long as we want to be out. A tighter fit and finish would be nice, but I’m not losing sleep over it.
I’m glad you like your Oliver. It’s nice to have choices.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Upate to Post #21: Propane Tanks

I took one Propane Tank to Costco to have filled this afternoon.

I checked the tanks as they were from the Original Owner, I discovered that the tanks were towards the center notches of the bracket for support. That caused them to wobble when pushed.

I moved each tank further from being centered, so the round BASE of EACH TANK were pushed against the curved portion of the lower base plate. The Base Plate is secured to the Aluminum Oliver Frame and has the long threaded rod that the tank bracket and swivel to secure it all... is located.

I added a washer and an extra nut to hold the swivel secure, as I do with the 27 FBQ.

It is SECURE AND SOLID. Now I have NO other issue... with the Oliver... but always looking. Did that with the Airstreams and you will also get to a point it is general maintenance for cleaning and lubricating.

Just FYI: Two Trips (4+ weeks total). Lows between 17F to 28F and highs into the low 70's. Off the Grid on Solar. Used 5.85 gallons @ $3.26 per Gallon at Costco.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Having spent tens of thousands for the RV, we are excited to save ten cents on a few gallons or propane....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Having spent tens of thousands for the RV, we are excited to save ten cents on a few gallons or propane....
Ha ha! You cracked me up this morning, thank you. Exactly, exactly!!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
NOT "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish"... but Frugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
PatLee also agrees with you.
I also pickup loose change off the ground. Even metal detect for loose change when camped for exercise and entertainment... Silver Coins are worth more than face value today.

We are frugal. NOT: 'Penny Wise, Pound Foolish'. Look up the meaning.

The cents add up and then we purchased NEW Airstreams three times. Recently, took a fancy to match the 2019 International to a 2019 Oliver Elite II.

My message: The Oliver has many positive characteristics. One characteristic is the Oliver is well insulated, which will last a lifetime of saving dimes. Those who find the Airstream is costing them too many cents... might want to take a look at an Oliver.

We are getting ready for the next Adventure in the Oliver. We will flip a penny to determine where we want to go, how much time to spend and spend some 'hard cash'?... coins? Maybe not those in the scan...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	418479  
Old 06-29-2022, 09:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Post #1:

We... well I, paid $68,500 for a used 2019 Oliver. It is comparable to the 23 foot Airstream length and 8 feet wide. The Oliver is 8 feet 5.5 inches wide. The width of our tow vehicle which is a 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4 is about the same as both.
Olivers' are SEVEN FEET WIDE. Corrected later, but repeat.

The 23 foot Airstream is still 8 feet wide in 2006.

The 2019 FBQ 27 foot Airstream is 8 feet 5.5 inches wide.

I think in Neanderthal and translate to Human Bean. Lost in translation... kind of thing?
Old 06-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Gilroy , California
What about Bigfoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
We have owned three Airstreams since 2006. New and 'improved' them over time. These are listed under my photograph, which is not... current, but the likeness is the same.

Our current Airstream is a 2019 International Signature 27FBQ purchased new, for around $90,000, with a three inch lift and solar. We added 16 inch wheels and Michelins and sold the Goodyears. Our 2019 is the last of the Propane / Battery / Electric models... or near the end. I have not checked. We avoid RV Parks, so never used the AC's or Microwave, because of that.

These Airstream physical upgrades for road clearance make OUR Airstream compatible to the stock Oliver from the factory. (I posted somewhere on the Forum the ground to frame clearance and they are nearly exact...but did not find the old post.)

I became infatuated with the... Oliver Elite II... the longer of the two Oliver models available. They are fiber glass.

I now find Oliver advertising on the Airforums. Airstream owners and Oliver owners are the prime high end customers for either. Neither trailer are inexpensive in comparison to other brands which can be large, for less cost. OK... but are the TOP of the Travel Trailer Off the Grid Boondocking models... in my EXPERIENCE.

This year we have the Airstream tucked away in the RV Garage resting. We have been traveling and Off the Grid Camping this Spring. We also use the Airstream in the same way as the Oiiver Elite II.

We... well I, paid $68,500 for a used 2019 Oliver. It is comparable to the 23 foot Airstream length and 8 feet wide. The Oliver is 8 feet 5.5 inches wide. The width of our tow vehicle which is a 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4 is about the same as both.

The 23/25 foot Airstream and Oliver Elite II are similar in weight. I am not doing a research paper, so am not hunting down numbers but the Oliver is around 7,000 pounds on leaf spring double axle, stock 16 inch Sendel wheels and 16 inch Michelins, stock from the factory. (I can get these numbers if there is any interest.)

The standard Oliver has the ground clearance of an Airstream with a 3 inch Lift Kit and Michelins.

(Due to length, I am breaking this report into two posts. I may be one of the few Airstream Owners having BOTH trailers... at the SAME TIME.)
I think that you omitted the other top quality offering in trailers, namely Bigfoot. I looked seriously at AS, Oliver and Bigfoot before going with a Bigfoot. The deciding factor for me was that Oliver did not offer a trailer that was large enough for my needs.
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
27 FBQ 2019 International... and 2019 Oliver Elite II

Nancy and I discussed which trailer we found as a match to 'our kind of traveling'. We both agreed:

The Oliver Elite II. Compact. Double Axle. Fully capable as an Airstream.

The Oliver Elite II has been a delight to tow. Tows on the BALL, no WD or Sway needed. Now use only an aluminum adjustable shank, Ball with a tongue dial to indicate weight on the ball.

The 7 Feet width and double axles track behind the F350 without sway towing on the Ball. No Weight Distribution needed for a 7000# trailer. Heavy for its size. The double axles, 16 inch Michelins from factory are positioned perfectly for towing into the Off the Grid Boondocking sites with no bumper dragging, etc.

Years of towing experience makes a Neanderthal smart. Having an understanding Human Bean wife... creates a wonderful life experience for all. We and our two Blue Heelers love to be out among the deserts, forests, along remote creeks, rivers, lakes an on top of 10,000+ elevation mesas for cool days, starry skies and blue skies that amaze us. Hiking for miles keep us healthy and great appetites.

The insulation is excellent with the double hull. One AC on roof, while the 27FBQ has two AC's. We have used neither AC's as we are Off the Grid.

The WHITE Fiber Glass Hull reduces HEAT transfer on surface and and cooler interior.

The aluminum alloy 'super frame' is solid, does not flex.. much if at all.

Two large Solar Panels, four 6 volt huge batteries, easy access. No power shortages.

The storage capability is massive for its size and width. No space is wasted.

Interior hinges, cabinets and drawers... are absolutely PERFECT.

The wiring is bundled and secured. Easy access if ever needed...

Propane tanks like Airstream's 30#, with an area for a Generator if wanted in front.

Access to components are under the Beds or storage area up front, where we can store light items are convenient.

The Refrigerator uses the same kind of venting as Airstreams with a quiet fan that is not seen. It draws dust into the exterior compartment, which I vacuum once home.

Minimal DUST inside after stirring up the Wyoming and Utah dust bowls.

We can turn, like with our Equalizer at sharp angles without the tow vehicle's tail lights hitting the fronts of either trailer. This is Important to have a longer SHANK to avoid denting the front corners of any trailer in tow.

We like the Oliver so much, we put an ad out locally to offer the Airstream for sale. Although Sheep Herder Wagons have a better chance of a sale.

After 16 years from the 2006 Safari and up to today... the 27 has more room than we need and it is time to move on. If it sells, the new owner will enjoy all of the upgrades and time spent to improve and securing with extra hardware.

If the Airstream does not sell, we still have the option to use the Airstream. Our two Blue Heelers, Human Bean and Neanderthal have enjoyed our three Airstreams for many years. Now we will be able to travel anywhere we would not take our Airstream.

One 'Fairy Tale' ends. Another 'Fairy Tale' begins. It has been a lot of fun, travel and adventure with our Airstreams. Our hearts will 'soar like a bird' with the Oliver, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0628.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	418579  
Old 06-29-2022, 10:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Interesting development! There are a few differences with our evolution, but we also downsized over time. Four travel trailers total - three Airstream - and grew to feel that for our style of camping the larger trailers had more negatives than positives.

The ease of towing you described is one, and the related ease of setting up and breaking down campsites is another. For us the most important difference is that with a smaller trailer (assuming good windows) you have a much greater sense of where you are rather than what you are in.

Best wishes for many new adventures……
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:10 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I Saw One in Person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Ray,
Thanks for the write up! I too was very interested in the Oliver II before we purchased our AS. The windows and the inside width (23 vs 25/27) was what sold us on ours. Without ever seeing an Oliver in person, just imagining it from pictures we saw. So I would love to hear your perspective on that alone. Coupled with hearing how you had to learn to sleep in the Oliver, I’m still think we made the best choice.
Keeping an open mind for the future.
I finally saw an Oliver II in person and inside! Very well built and solid for sure. They only had 1 A/C also. (I don't think you would ever need 2 in those.) I can see this as a true 4 season camper for all. Although we enjoy our AS camping in the teens & 20's too. We sleep with our bedroom windows open at home down to 20 quite frequently. So the cold for us isn't an issue, more for the plumbing. We have to disconnect from water on occasion when we have hook ups if it's going to get below 20.
BUT..... Holy Cow are they small and dark inside comparatively! I wouldn't want to spend a rainy day or evening in there. The Oliver is a camper to sleep in (which is also a small space) not a camper to live out of in my opinion.
Although I have not had any issues with our AS (except 1 interior door knob) I would have to agree that the Oliver is a custom built camper and in the details (wiring, cabinets & doors) Oliver does it better than AS.
I'm glad you are enjoying your Ollie! I'm glad we have an AS.
Happy Camping!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:23 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
The Oliver appears to be extremely well built, but is no match for the interior decor of the AS. I would personally miss the large AS windows. I suppose the wet bath is not for everyone either. That said, I can see it’s appeal and I am glad you are enjoying it. Happy boondocking!
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:46 AM   #38

Las Vegas , Nevada
We own the first 2022 Oliver produced and we love it. We went with Oliver after a horrifying experience with the Airstream dealer in Vegas. Canceled the order and would NEVER go back. Actually, he did us a huge favor.

We have never had a rivet get loose or water leaks or wood floor rot or corrosion or anything. The Ollies are expensive, but they are arguably the most perfect travel trailers available.

The couple of times I needed customer tech support was for clarification of the menu for the solar and the surge protector. Nothing needed fixing. AND, the tech support guys called me within an hour or so and had the answers immediately. No waiting, no time wasted and no baloney.

We boondocked for several weeks in 16 degree temps with 25+ mph winds this winter near Kanab UT and were completely comfortable watching the snow all around us. Had the furnace set at 70 degrees. Also camped at Page AZ with high wind, cold temps and pouring rain/sleet/snow. No leaks, no probs at all and very warm and comfortable.

The compost toilet works great and our LiIon batts never need shore power for charging, the solar panels take care of that. Even in cloudy weather, there is usually enough solar output to top off the batts by the end of the day. We have never gone below a 45% discharge of the batt system (that happened once when the only place we could part was under dense trees. Charged right up again once we were on the road.

The We Boost system works great.

The fit and finish is flawless and the Anderson hitch makes towing effortless with our Toyota Tundra with the top of the line towing package. Heavy winds, big trucks passing, bouncy highways? No problems

Can't find a thing wrong with it after about 11k+ miles and counting. Will be going to Mesa Verde and points east in a few weeks.

It's nice to simply relax and enjoy the adventure without having to worry about structural or electrical or mechanical problems. The only alternative we would ever seriously entertain is if Oliver decided to build a 30 footer. Might trade up to that, maybe not.

No wrinkles or dents in the finish, bonus: White is cooler than aluminum.

And did I mention, no popped rivets?
docron702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:46 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Glad you like it. Looked at the Ollie II last year. The short narrow beds and mini 2 person dinette proved insurmountable obstacles. I had more sleeping, eating room in my J92 racing sloop.

Something for everyone, I guess.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:51 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Oops. Bad example. J92 had 8’ beam, 30’ length.. fast as blazes with spinnaker.
Sorry, don’t want to corrupt Airstream vs Ollie II thread.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote