Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
On a 150 You can only get the payload up to good numbers with the heavy duty payload package, and you cant get that with any trim level above Lariat. I ended up with 2284# payload on a Lariat, and it's nice enough for my tastes.

You can easily calculate within a few # the payload you'd get on an order, here's the sheet i used to do it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MldhH6IDOYhy_0
Very interesting spreadsheet. I took a quick look at it but how does one use it? Thanks
Old 06-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
On a 150 You can only get the payload up to good numbers with the heavy duty payload package, and you cant get that with any trim level above Lariat. I ended up with 2284# payload on a Lariat, and it's nice enough for my tastes.

You can easily calculate within a few # the payload you'd get on an order, here's the sheet i used to do it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...MldhH6IDOYhy_0
Very cool and well done, thanks for sharing this!

to make this your own for others, click on his link, sign in to google docs, and save file as your own so you can edit and customize to your configuration. Delete or add "X" in a row, to add that option.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #123
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would not start out with a particular bias between F-150 / F-250 / F-350. These days they all share the same cab and almost all of the same options. The days of a giant step in trim / comfort between the 150 and 250 are gone. Price wise there is not a massive difference when you compare one to the other (as long as all the other details are the same). The web tools let you check pricing very quickly. No need to play with a dealer sales guy for hours on end. Figure out what *you* want / need / are happy with in terms of payload etc and go from there. If you are ordering, get the truck that works for you !! If you are going to run it for 150 to 250K miles, saving $3,000 and being unhappy the whole time is nonsense.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #124
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Just reading through to see what you guys are pulling with these new F150s. I am window shopping for an airstream.

My truck is a 2015 lariat supercrew 5.5 bed fx4 3.5 eco, pretty much every option available and it is rated at 1653lbs payload plus 150 allowance for driver (like 1800). That should pull most any airstream with a good hitch set up if you don't haul much cargo but a few passengers it seems. Looking at a classic 30.

My suggestion is don't worry about the king ranch or platinum, the only difference is auto side steps and massaging seats. This lariat actually has more options than some platinums I've seen, like airbag seat belts and some random misc. 2wd also adds a good bit of capacity, I actually wish I had got a 2wd platinum and saved some money (really sharp in 2wd for some reason).

Also you don't need the fx4 package and the 20s. Do get the 36 gallon tank though and have them put the ford trifold bedcover on at the dealer. Mine has the 23 gallon tank unfortunately but love the trifold hard cover.

Also payload is kinda a recommended weight, really pay attention to the axles and tires when you are thinking you are on the edge; if that is all weighing right I would think you should be in the guidance of your payload.
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #125
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sitting here in a 30' Classic hooked up behind a F-250 Platinum. If you go to the F-250, the Platinum version is 4WD only. It was pretty much the only way to get the power running boards that the wife needs without the moon roof (that I can't deal with height wise).

Bob
Old 06-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
In our continuing search for a TV to replace our Yukon Denali, we have narrowed it down to the F150 Ecoboost, either Lariat or Platinum. What my wife does not like about the Platinum is the darker interior. The Lariat we looked at has a light colored interior with all the bells and whistles of the Platinum. Both have a payload capacity in the 1550 range which I'm comfortable with having a tongue weight of 780lb. on our 25' Flying Cloud.

In leaning toward the '17 Lariat with 3.55 rear end, I found two items on the VIN look-up that puzzle me and was wondering if someone here had an answer as to what they meant. It is indicated that the truck has the "Trailer Tow Max Duty", but also says "with base payload package". There is also no mention of auxiliary trans cooler or larger radiator so I'm assuming they are not there.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
I have a 2016 F150 Platinum with 3.5 ecoboost - 3.55 rear end, 20" michelins LTX 275/55/20 , trailer tow package, 6800#GVWR package

My door sticker says payload 1,525 lbs. i use the Equal-I-zer hitch and it sits level with our 2107 Flying Cloud 27FB.

We bought it (the AS) in late march so have only been out 3 trips (one to north Georgia mtns)- from FL.

It tows very well, stops with no problem, descends very well using the tow/haul mode. I get 11 mpg towing -- 19.5 around town - 23-25 on the road not towing.

I am very pleased with this truck as my tow vehicle.
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #128

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
In our continuing search for a TV to replace our Yukon Denali, we have narrowed it down to the F150 Ecoboost, either Lariat or Platinum. What my wife does not like about the Platinum is the darker interior. The Lariat we looked at has a light colored interior with all the bells and whistles of the Platinum. Both have a payload capacity in the 1550 range which I'm comfortable with having a tongue weight of 780lb. on our 25' Flying Cloud.

In leaning toward the '17 Lariat with 3.55 rear end, I found two items on the VIN look-up that puzzle me and was wondering if someone here had an answer as to what they meant. It is indicated that the truck has the "Trailer Tow Max Duty", but also says "with base payload package". There is also no mention of auxiliary trans cooler or larger radiator so I'm assuming they are not there.
If you have the VIN, I suggest pulling the window sticker from a site like ResearchManiacs and read the build of the truck that way, it's a much more readable format. My window sticker says "Max trailer tow package" and the next 2 lines are ". 36GAL extended range fuel tank" and ". Integrated trailer brake controller" (the leading dots are in fact on the window sticker, as formatting I guess.) Also included with Max Tow but not listed directly with it (showing elsewhere on the sticker) are the 3.55 e-locker diff and (in the case of my particular truck) the 7000-lb GVWR package. The max-tow also includes some sort of uprated bumper (that I suspect is also available with some other options or as a standalone option) and an uprated suspension sway bar. I believe all the 10-speeds come with the same trans cooler (for 2017 at least) and all the 3.5 Ecoboosts have the same radiator.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This might be a stupid question, but can one get the HD tow package and HD Payload packs in 2017 and can you get them in a trim grade above Lariat? When I ordered my 2014 the lariat was the highest trim grade you could get these packages on and i'm wondering if that's still the case.
Also can anyone (with experience) articulate how the new 10 speed is while towing? I'm wondering how it compares to the old 6 seed - Thanks

Doug
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #130
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
This might be a stupid question, but can one get the HD tow package and HD Payload packs in 2017 and can you get them in a trim grade above Lariat? When I ordered my 2014 the lariat was the highest trim grade you could get these packages on and i'm wondering if that's still the case.
Also can anyone (with experience) articulate how the new 10 speed is while towing? I'm wondering how it compares to the old 6 seed - Thanks

Doug
Hi

The whole package thing with Ford is a bit confusing. The "HD" tow package only comes with certain other options checked. I don't remember the whole list, but Diesel was on it and I believe 4WD was off the list.

The 10 speed will save you a bit on MPG. It's not at all obvious it will help in normal towing situations.

Bob
Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #131

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:

Doug
For 2017, HD Payload is available only at Lariat 500A (Lariat Base) and below, only in the longest wheelbase for that cab configuration. So, if you want a higher-than-Lariat trim or a fancy Lariat trim like my 502A (Lariat Luxury) package, you have to compromise. I wouldn't trade my air-conditioned seats for 500 lb of payload, especially now that it's summer in Texas. Max Tow is available in higher trims.

My 10-speed is noticeably smoother when it's under load than when it's loafing along, actually. It does really well towing the Flying Cloud in Tow/Haul mode. Ocassionally when mostly-coasting in 40-50 mph suburban traffic (not towing) it has exhibited a harsh shift, but never when towing or under heavy acceleration. I'm quite pleased with it.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #132

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Oh and if the 15 May ordering guide holds true, this restriction to Lariat 500A or below will be the same for 2018 models.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks DKB_SATX. Research Maniacs allowed me to view the sticker of the '17 Lariat we are looking at. The etis.ford.com website pulls up a different wording for Max towing and does not put the features you mentioned directly underneath the $1295 upgrade.

Two questions:

If an auxiliary transmission oil cooler is not available on the 3.5 Ecoboost short bed, is the standard transmission cooling acceptable for towing mountain passes?

If we could find stock extendable towing mirrors, I read somewhere that they extend electronically, but if you want to fold the mirrors in for tight situations, that you have to do that manually. Any knowledge on that?
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #134

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
Thanks DKB_SATX. Research Maniacs allowed me to view the sticker of the '17 Lariat we are looking at. The etis.ford.com website pulls up a different wording for Max towing and does not put the features you mentioned directly underneath the $1295 upgrade.

Two questions:

If an auxiliary transmission oil cooler is not available on the 3.5 Ecoboost short bed, is the standard transmission cooling acceptable for towing mountain passes?

If we could find stock extendable towing mirrors, I read somewhere that they extend electronically, but if you want to fold the mirrors in for tight situations, that you have to do that manually. Any knowledge on that?
ETIS is not really intended to mortal humans to read and decipher. I looked at the ETIS data for my truck while it was being built and it was hard to tie the ETIS entries back to the various features of my truck, and I'm an IT data professional.

The 10-speed/3.5EB combination comes with a transmission cooler that Ford says is good enough. I've yet to have the combination of high temperatures and significant grades (it was cool weather when I was towing through the Blue Ridge mountains) but I haven't seen the transmission temperature budge when towing in smaller hills in 90+ degree temps.

There are 2 types of towing mirrors offered on the F150. XLT and below get manual-extend/manual-fold mirrors with electrical directional control of the upper mirrors. Lariat and above get power-extend/power-fold mirrors with electrical directional control of the upper mirrors. The lower, convex part of the mirrors is manually adjustable on both types. I've heard it's expensive to buy the power towing mirrors and retrofit them to a truck that came with the standard mirrors. I ordered my truck with the power towing mirrors from the factory.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Couple thoughts....

Most if not all, the F150's have the trany and oil cooler; the HD Tow Package has the larger radiator. The question about Platinum vs Lariat interior...we got the King Ranch, just because wife hated black, which is all they offer this year for Platinum. King Ranch model is very close to Platinum in everything else, cept color; brown...and I think also nicer seats in King Ranch; Ive heard from Ford guys the leather is tougher in King Ranch, but not sure how to tell. Anyway, we left the 2012 EB F150 Platinum with 111K miles, for the F250 King Ranch; after 4K miles in past 3 weeks, we are pretty happy pulling our new 28' FC! If I did the F150, I would do King Ranch also....I drove one over night and it drove great and looked great...black interior in TX is hot!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #136
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Most if not all, the F150's have the trany and oil cooler; the HD Tow Package has the larger radiator. The question about Platinum vs Lariat interior...we got the King Ranch, just because wife hated black, which is all they offer this year for Platinum. King Ranch model is very close to Platinum in everything else, cept color; brown...and I think also nicer seats in King Ranch; Ive heard from Ford guys the leather is tougher in King Ranch, but not sure how to tell. Anyway, we left the 2012 EB F150 Platinum with 111K miles, for the F250 King Ranch; after 4K miles in past 3 weeks, we are pretty happy pulling our new 28' FC! If I did the F150, I would do King Ranch also....I drove one over night and it drove great and looked great...black interior in TX is hot!
Hi

..... with the Platinum you would have gotten the AC cooled seats I don't know how they would do in Texas, but they do fine up here.

I agree that there aren't many significant differences between the King Ranch and Platinum trim levels. The one that got us was very much unique to our "must have/ must not have" list.

Bob
Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #137

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

..... with the Platinum you would have gotten the AC cooled seats I don't know how they would do in Texas, but they do fine up here.

I agree that there aren't many significant differences between the King Ranch and Platinum trim levels. The one that got us was very much unique to our "must have/ must not have" list.

Bob
Lariat Luxury (502A) and King Ranch also get air-conditioned seats (at least in the F150, wouldn't bet a truck payment it's exactly the same for the F250 without checking.) And they are wonderful in Texas!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #138
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

Doug

I find the 10spd a bit clunky at times when not in tow or sport mode. I also find the HDPP much smoother and more stable towing our 27.

Since we ordered in Canada, we were able to get the 10way heated/cooled bucket seats and the twin moonroof in our lariat, doesn't seem order-able in the US that way, cant imagine why.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #139
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
I find the 10spd a bit clunky at times when not in tow or sport mode. I also find the HDPP much smoother and more stable towing our 27.

Since we ordered in Canada, we were able to get the 10way heated/cooled bucket seats and the twin moonroof in our lariat, doesn't seem order-able in the US that way, cant imagine why.
What does your payload sticker on your door say?

I am curious if they put the HDPP springs in and allowed you to get the 501A or 502A option packages as the moonroof supposedly doesn't come with the base '500' package.

As a note the 500 base package does come with heated and cooled power seats according to the website, so you can get HDPP with heated and cooled power seats on a 2017.

I am wondering what springs they are using in the HDPP. I understand the 2015 trucks have 300lbs more payload than the 2014 trucks, yet weigh 700lbs less. I think the chassis is pretty much the same so maybe they are using 2014 springs to get 400 lbs extra without screwing up the stance?
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
F150vs F250

Not to confuse, but I got the new F250 King Ranch this time, and yes, heated/cooled seats "WITH" the automatic massage for driver and passenger! Now that is truly nice! Also offered in the F150s with certain packages....very nice on a long drive for sure! We just drove from Austin to Portland -2400 miles- to get our new 28'FC Twin and the massaging seats with AC came in very handy! I would have stayed with the F150 except with same package but we did want the extra payload capacity for hauling kayaks, generator, and stuff....could only find around 1500~ pound capacity in the F150 KR or Platinum...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote