Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
Smile 2016 Cross Country Trip Planned - Recommendations?

Hey Folks -

Priscilla & I are finally planning on a cross country trip with the Airstream next year (3 years after we originally thought it would happen). We will be leaving from our home in Virginia sometime in the spring and going out west to see many of the National Parks and other sights, then back home again.

We don't have a specific agenda yet, but we plan on the trip taking 30-45 days. I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding the best timing for such a trip, as well as any lesser known attractions that we should make a point to see. We both love to play music, so we'll be actively searching out ukulele groups or other local jams to play with, as well as any music festivals, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I don't have specific recommendations for your itinerary, but just wanted to advise you that most people find 300 miles per day to be their maximum daily driving distance when towing to a distant destination. Since you plan to nearly cross the entire country twice (there and back) you should consider how far you really want to go given your relatively short timeframe. It would be a shame to spend as much time or more getting to and from your destination as you have to spend there.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1civilengr View Post
Hey Folks -

Priscilla & I are finally planning on a cross country trip with the Airstream next year (3 years after we originally thought it would happen). We will be leaving from our home in Virginia sometime in the spring and going out west to see many of the National Parks and other sights, then back home again.

We don't have a specific agenda yet, but we plan on the trip taking 30-45 days. I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding the best timing for such a trip, as well as any lesser known attractions that we should make a point to see. We both love to play music, so we'll be actively searching out ukulele groups or other local jams to play with, as well as any music festivals, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Come to Traverse City for Uke Fest! We'll find you a place to park the AS and you can enjoy a beautiful locale and vibrant Uke scene!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just that if you plan to visit the major national parks during the high season (which keeps starting earlier and ending later,) either make your campground reservations well in advance, or post some individual threads about particular parks, so that the locals and frequent visitors can suggest nearby places to stay, such as Forest Service campgrounds.

The major parks are getting really congested with traffic, to the point where some of them have optional or mandatory shuttles, where you park your vehicle, and then catch a free bus ride into the park. Because parking can be a problem during the high season, if you can catch an optional shuttle to visit the major park features, I'd recommend it.

Of course local music festivals in gateway communities only increase the congestion. But you might enjoy the annual Moab (Utah) music festival in September if you'll be traveling west in the fall: it plays in different venues around Arches national park. Moab Music Festival

Also, western ski resort towns tend to have a lot of music festivals in the summer to lure people back to the slopes during their snow-free season.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
You should definitely lean towards 45 days.

We just returned from a two month trip west. In Themopolis, WY I stopped by the local bluegrass jam session. There was a couple there from the Seattle area who both played the uke. At home they play in an eighteen uke orchestra.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
We're leaving Fl mid May for my grandsons HSGraduation up in Buffalo, after that west bound to Palo Alto, California with many stops both coming & going. Having done Las Vegas twice & Portland, OR in the past I guarantee you the time of your life. Suggest you join RVillage online & start a Blog looking for advise as that is another group of like minded people with many ideas.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi,
We need to have wine and cheese at The Cabin when we get home from the West next week. We miss visiting with you and P. We love the West and have some solid, serious suggestions for you after many trips out and back. Send me a private message so I can refresh our phone number with you. ~GH
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Interested in following this as we look forward to the same kind of limited time west trips. Thanks, as I'm sure there are many of us who encumbered by work for a while longer and must have limits on time away. Someday...maybe not ... but for now, at least,travel time is more flexible than it used to be. I dream of" moosetags" style travel.....
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
I greatly appreciate all the comments and suggestions (please keep them coming!). I will definitely share the details of our journey (planning and travel). I'm sure I will also be looking for help and information along the way, so I'll be here for that too!
For now, I plan on filling the tanks of of "Escape Pod" in preparation for fall Power Outage Season, and finishing getting our new tow vehicle set up.