Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
1966 Globetrotter Road Trip, Austin to Arkansas to N. Carolina and more

I'm looking for guidance and wisdom from those who have hit the road. Basically, are we going too fast? What should I limit my hours of driving per day to?

WE are planning to stay mostly one night as a pit stop and some places for two days. Also, if you're in about the same place, let's talk when we're there!

I've spent the last few months gutting and putting back together my Airstream and now my wife and I are gearing up for our first trip.

You can read that saga over here if you wish:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f162...in-127661.html

This will be a trip from Austin to Pineville, Missourri to Memphis to N. Carolina, then to Destin, FL (which we love) then to Gulf Shores and then home.

My wife is flying to Fayetteville, AR and will be at a 'work' retreat in Pineville.

I'm planning to drive the Globe up a few days into her trip, stopping at Eisenhower Park north of Dallas (if it is open, we've had a lot of rain) for the night after my drive from Austin. That would put me at a 5 hour drive alone with 2 French bulldogs and then stay the night.

Then I'll drive to Pineville and pick her up and I believe from there we take the 6.5 hour drive and head to Graceland RV Park in Memphis, TN...

I plan to update this as I can from the road.

Thoughts?
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
We've made that trip, starting in Springfield MO to Austin to San Antonio to Galveston Island to Fort Smith, Fayetteville, Jane MO and back. Nice trip. 69 hwy was bumping in OK.

Also did trip to Memphis... stayed at Tom Sawyer park in Arkansas. nice place.

Dtto to Raleigh and Destin.... have a fun trip!
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
I hit the road tomorrow!

I have the trailer packed (mostly) and the gray tank on my SUV.
I'll be in Oklahoma this time tomorrow with my two Frenchies (check out the sticker on my truck) and then I'll pick up my wife in Missouri on Sunday.

Here are the two little pooters that will be with me for the long haul. This is the black Frenchie. He likes to help me pack.

And the other one. Meaner, whiter, Tech-ier

I'm excited but anxious to get out there and see how all my work over the last few months will stand up.

I'll post a few more pics tomorrow night just for archive's sake.

B
Old 06-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
You'll be in our neighborhood! Have fun!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Look forward to reading about the trip. You drive and Meaner can type... I can't input anything as we are still looking but appreciate you writing about the adventure. Safe travels
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Lake Eufaula State Park, Oklahoma

I didn't get a chance to post while I was on the road and camping. However, I did find out that I had a few issues with the Airstream on the way there.

1. When I first left, I realized I had my brake controller set too "tight" and the brakes were smoking. Nice.

2. At some point, I had a window break.

3. My trailer pops the GFCI plug on the pedastal, so I had to purchase an RV adapter to connect to the bigger plug.

4. The water pressure from the first camp spot was way too high!

5. My trailer is tiny! Once you start 'living' in it, you realize this.

6. Showering in such a tiny bathroom is very interesting.

7. The portable AC unit was OK, but you have be directly in front of it. I plan to put in a top unit soon. My dogs loved to sit right in front of it.

All that considered, the trailer held up nicely.

My first stop was Lake Eufaula State Park in Oklahoma.
It is likely a nice park and lake when it hasn't been flooded recently.
There were a ton of bugs and the water was a dark murky brown.
I only stayed for the night.

Here are few pics:

Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Next Stop: Graceland RV Park in Memphis

My next stop after I picked up my wife in Missouri was Graceland RV Park in Memphis, TN.
This place is right next door to the Graceland Mansion. It was closed by the time we got there so we didn't get to see it.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Campfire Lodgings in Asheville, NC

If you ever get to Asheville, NC, I encourage you to stay at Campfire Lodgings.
It is a small campground but has an awesome view!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Hunting Island State Park, South Carolina

Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina was my 2nd favorite stop. The spot we had was literally right on the beach!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Grayton Beach State Park, Florida

Our last stop was Grayton Beach State Park in Florida. It's down the road from Seaside and Destin.
IT was my favorite beach camping spot. The site is a short walk to the beach. And, the beach is awesome! Emerald green crystal clear water. AMAZING. We've been to Destin a few times and it is very much the same at Grayton Beach.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
thanks for the report. So nice to see you out there. Do you know why the window broke?
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the Photos and Update

Thanks for posting about your trip, what you discovered and especially the info and photos of the campgrounds. I learn a lot from other's experiences and hope it sharpens the learning curve once we find our trailer. Your view in Asheville was great; an area I haven't been to in over 40 years but can't wait to see again. Of course, the site photo made the site look like your AS was made for the spot; a beautiful trailer. I'm partial to the gulf coast having grown up there and have to agree that the beaches are the best and can't wait to camp along that coast again. Your campfire and beach photos made me homesick for the experience. Thanks again and continued safe travels.
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisE MN View Post
thanks for the report. So nice to see you out there. Do you know why the window broke?
The top part of the window broke because it was flimsy plexi from HD, it must have not been in the groove tight enough.
I plan to get some much more rigid plexi and repair it. The bottom portion was glass and I guess something flew up and hit it? Who knows.

Quote:
Thanks for posting about your trip, what you discovered and especially the info and photos of the campgrounds. I learn a lot from other's experiences and hope it sharpens the learning curve once we find our trailer. Your view in Asheville was great; an area I haven't been to in over 40 years but can't wait to see again. Of course, the site photo made the site look like your AS was made for the spot; a beautiful trailer. I'm partial to the gulf coast having grown up there and have to agree that the beaches are the best and can't wait to camp along that coast again. Your campfire and beach photos made me homesick for the experience. Thanks again and continued safe travels.
Richard
Hey Richard,
I'm glad you liked the pics and I hope you find your trailer. They are out there but sure hard to find I'll tell you that much. TBH, I am itching to get back out there on and camp more.

Tags