Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
I saw your trailer! I coincidentally had parked my Interstate right near you as I was running an errand over on grand Avenue. I looked around to see if you, the owner around and offer any possible help. Sorry about the horrible drivers in our town. We’re traveling nearly full-time, and Saint Paul is the worst place we have driven in this entire country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurtherAir View Post
Hi everyone,
Last night while stopping off at a friend's house in St. Paul, MN, our fully renovated 1964 Airstream was hit from behind by a drunk driver. The 50mph to dead stop hit took out the left rear quarter panel, and violently transferred energy through to my Tacoma which may need to be totaled.
No one was inside the trailer or truck at the time of collision.
The day has been filled with phone calls to insurance companies while we try to reroute our month long trip with a 9 and 6 year old, through Duluth, and back to home in Washington state.
Our beloved 'Jack' is injured, and I am now looking for safe ways to get him to a place for repair, and back to us. Being in MN, I know there are incredible Airstream shops in the Midwest. Anyone know where to send and how to get him there?
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We don't need to have all the details. However, you will soon become familiar with a few things:

1) How much is the trailer insured for on your policy? If it's "Blue Book" the answer is near nothing.

2) How much is the truck insured for on your policy? It should be a pretty good sum.

3) How much coverage does the BMW guy have? This appears to be his fault and not yours. (and how does this work in Minnesota ....).

3) How much money does the BMW guy have? You can't get more than his net worth out of him once his insurance runs out.

4) How much would you put of your own money into this? Only you can answer that one ....

Until your lawyer gives you some rough ideas about this and that, I'd wait a bit on committing to a rebuild. For now I'd send some pictures to JC and let them give you some rough estimates on the trailer.

Understand that until it all gets taken apart nobody is really going to know how much damage there is......

Bob
Excllent advice, even if the OP doesn't yet (or want to ) realize it.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sorry Laban's, that "poor" human being with total disregard for their own and other people's lives likely went on to say "my bad", or "I was having a bad day".

We all care but that was not the point of the story. They can start their own thread on the BMW forums and we can empathize with them there.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Avalon , New Jersey
Try P&S Trailer in Ohio 1-419-638-6261. Also vintage values much higher these days.

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Last night while stopping off at a friend's house in St. Paul, MN, our fully renovated 1964 Airstream was hit from behind by a drunk driver. The 50mph to dead stop hit took out the left rear quarter panel, and violently transferred energy through to my Tacoma which may need to be totaled.
The day has been filled with phone calls to insurance companies while we try to reroute our month long trip with a 9 and 6 year old, through Duluth, and back to home in Washington state.
Our beloved 'Jack' is injured, and I am now looking for safe ways to get him to a place for repair, and back to us. Being in MN, I know there are incredible Airstream shops in the Midwest. Anyone know where to send and how to get him there?

Please keep in mind that today the values of vintage Airstreams are much higher. For info you may want to contact P&S Trailers in Ohio.1-419-638-6261 steve@pandstrailerserveice.com.
Mmn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Sorry that this happened. Our AS was hit by a tree and “totaled” (estimated cost of repair exceeded value)recently. Assuming you have insurance, you will be dealing with YOUR insurance company. They should be interacting with the other driver’s insurance company on your behalf. We live in MN so insurance laws should apply equally to your situation and ours.

Our insurance company (State Farm) placed a market value on our AS using photos I provided. I had the option to agree with their valuation or get a valuation of my own. In my case, their valuation was fair (more than I anticipated). They also provided a scrap value and gave me the option to keep my AS and a check for the difference or turn it in to them for the whole amount.

I understand getting attached to your AS, but they are a commodity item and relatively easy to acquire. If you have a lot of valuable interior improvements, in my opinion, you should get a new shell and transfer your hard work over to it. Then sell your old shell to someone with front end damage.

I contacted repair shops and could not get a firm estimate for repairs. They all wanted to do it by the hour with an unlimited possible expense. Glad some others recommended shops that might give a bid.

Rent a different trailer and a vehicle and go on your trip! That’s really what is most important. Time and experiences are often more valuable than money in the long run.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
Sorry to have to tell ALL of you this, but after having read all of the thread I am Stunned and Disappointed and Angry that Not ONE SINGLE PERSON asked about the human being who was driving the BMW.
You all need to spend some time on introspection and find out how you lost your care for your fellow man---drunk or not.

Tell dear OP, what was the fate of the BMW driver?
X2

As a former ER nurse we often took care of people in both (or multiple) vehicles following a DUI accident. Though we certainly had thoughts and feelings concerning driving while intoxicated, saving human life and function always was our priority.

We know nothing for sure concerning the BMW driver or the accident. Did they swerve to avoid a child chasing a ball? Was it an elderly person whose medication was a factor? I suspect some of us (myself included) have stereotypes and biases about “BMW drivers”. We must challenge our own initial perceptions.

Of course, the OP has suffered a significant material loss and emotional distress. They deserve fair treatment and compensation for their loss. And they probably should consider the various points and advice offered here. But remain both firm and human in the process.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #47

Currently Looking...
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Check in with Flyte Camp ?

What a heartbreaker. I'm so sorry for y'all. Maybe contact Justin at Flyte Camp in Bend OR if JC can't get to it timely. They do a lot of OLD restorations and would have a good idea on what it would take to repair. IMO it is always feasible if you can salvage it and it won't be cheap but most likely worth it. Good luck! I'm in WA state too.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
2021 30RB Classic
Albertville , Minnesota
Airstream damaged in St Paul

Hi,
Sorry this happened to u. St Paul is out of control with crime. That being said there is a place by St Cloud that the Airstreamers recommend. Contact Linda Agre at Airstream park in Clearwater. She know where to go for anything Airstream. Do not go to Lazydays!
Quicksilver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Have it towed to Woodland Travel in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Talk to Eric in Service. He and they are awesome.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver6 View Post
Hi,

Sorry this happened to u. St Paul is out of control with crime. That being said there is a place by St Cloud that the Airstreamers recommend. Contact Linda Agre at Airstream park in Clearwater. She know where to go for anything Airstream. Do not go to Lazydays!

I agree. Contact Linda Agre. Very involved and very informed. Great Lady

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Crestwood , 40014
Not in your neck of the woods, but Vintage Basecamp in Crestwood, Ky is known for their vintage Airstream work. They do awesome work and they have done some maintenance and upgrades to my 2016 30 Classic….
ChrisCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
X2

We know nothing for sure concerning the BMW driver or the accident. Did they swerve to avoid a child chasing a ball? Was it an elderly person whose medication was a factor? I suspect some of us (myself included) have stereotypes and biases about “BMW drivers”. We must challenge our own initial perceptions.

Of course, the OP has suffered a significant material loss and emotional distress. They deserve fair treatment and compensation for their loss. And they probably should consider the various points and advice offered here. But remain both firm and human in the process.
This and other posts do speak to our present "national" condition. The perp is described not by gender, race, age, hair or eye color, height - or any of those other generally accepted and often mandatory ID definitions but as a BMW driver. Says it all. I guess the only acceptable definition is "another vehicle" and drunk is a medical/legal definition which I hope the OP has nailed down as its crucial to the insurance.
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
All Campers in Rockville, MN (just outside of St. Cloud) works on vintage Airstreams. I just was there today to have the bearings on our 99 Safari greased and was very happy with the work. Their phone# is 320.407.1294.
Photo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Contact Erich Nelson at Woodland Airstream in Grand Rapids, MI - 616-363-9038 - erich@woodlandairstream.com

They do a LOT of renovation and repair on vintage Airstreams.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:21 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cumming , GA
The motorcycle

No one has asked, so I will, How is the driver of the motorcycle?
This looks like a major hit. Hope he or she will be ok. Trailers can be repaired.
teritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
That'll buff right out.........
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:42 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by teritchie View Post
No one has asked, so I will, How is the driver of the motorcycle?

This looks like a major hit. Hope he or she will be ok. Trailers can be repaired.
Motorcycle? OP said BMW, not BMW motorcycle. While BMW does make motorcycles, it is highly unlikely that the damage would be this low on the Airstream even if the driver had laid it down on its side to try to avoid or lessen the speed of the wreck. The sudden deceleration of hitting the Airstream would have thrown the driver through the window or roof segments.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
1981 22' Excella II
LIBERTY LAKE , Washington
We were hit by a newFreightliner bobtail on I 10 on our way to Quartzite AZ in 2015. We are AZ snowbirds that reside in WA state and are insured in WA state. We had had a recent appraisal by James Polk (805)646-7293….his help along with our insurance agent in WA state was so helpful. What’s the damage like on the inside? Take lots of pictures!! Contact the BMW’s insurance company!! In WA state both the vehicle and the trailer must be at least partially reimbursed so you have money to work with almost immediately.Find out what your options are for continuing your road trip! Thank goodness your family was not inside.
SUSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
“Cayo family (Avion founders) still have a trailer service facility and might be great.”

Yes, the Cayo Family is still in business with a trailer repair business that specializes in Avions & Airstreams. They do incredible work.

Cayo Repair Services
3845 M-140
Watervliet, Michigan 49098
(269) 463-5068
https://aviontrailers.net/viewtopic.php?t=376
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:16 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
Sorry to have to tell ALL of you this, but after having read all of the thread I am Stunned and Disappointed and Angry that Not ONE SINGLE PERSON asked about the human being who was driving the BMW.
You all need to spend some time on introspection and find out how you lost your care for your fellow man---drunk or not.

Tell dear OP, what was the fate of the BMW driver?

That drunk driver can rot in prison. After zipping the body bags of countless victims of drunk drivers and having made numerous death notifications to next of kin, I have absolutely NO SYMPATHY for murderers and attempted murderers. Those dirtbags cause unimaginable heart ache, death and devastation. First time offenders need to be severely punished... up to and including capital punishment for those who murder another.

I am sick and tired of people being so damned concerned about the welfare of the criminals. Those dirtbags became criminals the moment they made the decision to drink and drive....so quit coddling, condoning and caring for them... and put your concern toward their victims.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags