Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
houston , Texas
Hey djmclean,
I have a w/d in mine and it seems to work pretty good. Probably gonna keep it. btw, i also just got an as fifth wheel. Any questions you might have feel free to ask.. Im finding out a lot about this camper... mainly water damage lol.

Where around is Cumming GA? I spent part of my childhood in athens GA.
It sure has changed a lot from what i remember
jcm83houtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
Cumming is about 40 miles north of Atlanta. We are about 5 miles from Lake Sidney Lanier, which has several Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds on it. We are probably 40-50 miles NWest of Athens. I've been there a few times to UGA vet school with sick horses. Never good.

I'm really curious about the w/d. It seems pretty cool, but in all the years we've been camping, I never wished I had one.

We have had a bit of water in our 5er too. Nothing too bad and my hubby has spent a bit of time on the roof caulking and taping. We are going to finish with a good sealer. (don't forget - ours is an Argosy) Our Sportsmen camper has been destroyed by water damage. A small leak that went un-noticed certainly made it's mark on the wooden frame. At least with this one, the damage is cosmetic and easily fixed. So far, there is only one small place on the floor that needs to be repaired.

kposey - thanks for the invite. We don't go far often as we have a small farm with horses that like to eat - often! We love to go to a campground close by so we can feed and still enjoy the lake and our small sailboat and canoe. If we ever get away (really away) we just might join you!
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Progress Report

Here are some photos from today. Compare with the before picture.

We are very pleased with the progress. We will eventually replace the folding chairs with something a bit nicer. Looking for just the right leather chair.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear torn out.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	140005
This is the rear all torn out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear during.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	140006
This is during the creative process.

Name:   finished rear.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  5.6 KB
The "finished" product. We were trying to do this without spending any money using materials on hand. I think he did really well!!

Here is the final area. We added some nice brass reading lights under the cabinet in the back.

Name:   finished rear seating.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  6.7 KB

We are about ready for her maiden voyage. Joe (our son) will be coming home from Korea the end of the month and we are going to park the camper on the lake for his "unwinding" process! Can't wait for either event.

We've been calling the 5-er the "Mobile Mancave". My husband disappears and we know right where to find him. He's out there listening to Merle Haggard or Toby Keith!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
Great job. I highly recommend Lambright comfort chairs when you get ready. They are made in Shippsewanna, Indianna, by Amish craftsman. They are made to take the travel, and can be bolted down. I brought one home in August and love it. As you mentioned you will be taking a maiden voyege, I find that the rear of the trailer is hard on anything not tied down, so beware. I concluded it is like riding in the rear seats of a school bus. We will have to get the two fivers together on my next trip south. John
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
you can find the chairs on the web, but I don't think i can post a site on here. lambrightcomfortchair.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
I looked up the Lambright Chairs - very nice!!

When do you come South? Most of the campgrounds on the lake close in November.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
I would love to be enroute to the south right now. I have had the Georgia State fair at the Perry fairgrounds on my Bucket list for several years. I will have to put it off for another year. My last several trips have been in Feb-March area through May. I need to escape the Northern Winter, even though I have lived here all of my life. I like your fold up chairs because they are movable. I imagine with the slide out and the rear bench seat you can accomodate more people for indoor entertainment. Did you ever learn what that wall switch was in the left rear corner?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We are about ready for her maiden voyage. Joe (our son) will be coming home from Korea the end of the month and we are going to park the camper on the lake for his "unwinding" process! Can't wait for either event.

This is part of my desire for yet another trailer: a son in the military. Your trailer is only looking better & better!! My hopes are high for you all.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfarmer View Post
I would love to be enroute to the south right now. I have had the Georgia State fair at the Perry fairgrounds on my Bucket list for several years. I will have to put it off for another year. My last several trips have been in Feb-March area through May. I need to escape the Northern Winter, even though I have lived here all of my life. I like your fold up chairs because they are movable. I imagine with the slide out and the rear bench seat you can accomodate more people for indoor entertainment. Did you ever learn what that wall switch was in the left rear corner?
We showed our llama at the GA State fair one year - third place!! Many years ago. It's a lot of fun.

I grew up with Northern winters myself. Upstate NY - don't miss it a bit!

The inside of the trailer now accomodates more inside entertainment than I anticipate needing. The folding chairs will work nicely for now. I really like the Lambright chairs - maybe one day....

Never did figure out the switch. We do have two sconce lights in the slide-out that don't work and will be replaced next. Have to order them. Maybe that will solve the mystery. We can't really tell where the wires go from the switch. In the manual, it says they go to a valance light, but with the slide-out, there isn't one!

REDNAX - do you have a son in the military? We are counting down the days for Joe to come home - 12 left!!! BTW - the washer and dryer are OUT! It's going to be a great place for a pantry/broom closet. I don't ever remember wishing for a w/d while camping. I really think I'll survive
Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmclean View Post
I don't ever remember wishing for a w/d while camping.
I wished for one recently as I have several times in the past. Any time our trips are 10 days or more (the recent trip was 21 days) an on-board w/d would be nice. I realize they are slow since you can only do one load at a time but I hate going to laundromats. Laundromat cleanliness, ease of access and cost are all annoyances to me. I'd much rather plan my trip for an overnight stop at a full hook-up park so I can spend time doing laundry on my terms.

Additionally, since we're never certain when we'll be able to find a laundromat (one that's open, one that's clean) we bring more clothing than we would normally need for a given period of time. An on-board w/d would allow me to bring less clothing on a trip with the certainty that I can almost always find a full hook-up park and wash a few loads while I catch up on email, and reading without the need to keep an eye on washers and dryers at the opposite ends of a laundromat.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
REDNAX - do you have a son in the military?

USMC, a pilot.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Lucius - I guess we've never done many long trips. We have a small farm with too many animals to be gone for long. It would cost a fortune (or ruin friendships) to have someone feed for very long.... Most of the campgrounds we've stayed in have nice laundromats, so it's never really been an issue. I'm keeping the units - just in case, though!

REDNAX - our oldest son was in MCJROTC all through high school. He graduated as Batallion commander. We always thought he would be our military kid, but he didn't sign up. Our youngest was NEVER one to be told what to do, so really took us by surprise when he enlisted. He is 19D (Cavalry Scout) and has really risen to the challenges. He had to lose nearly 100 pounds to pass the physicals. Lots of determination in that kid. He's really made us proud.

Please thank your son for his service to this great country.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Well, we had a service guy come out and check out the rig. The stove, oven furnace and hot water heater all work great. No gas leaks (whew!). The frig, however, is toast.

We had a gully washer rain here the other night. I would guestimate we got about 6-8 inches in about an hour. It poured into our dining room (oops - the upstairs window was open) and blew in around the chimney in the kitchen (we live in an old farmhouse that was built in 1887) and poured down the chimney itself. I was worried about the camper. Jim went out there and there were just a few drops dripping where he hasn't caulked around the a/c and the frig vent. We are thrilled with that as there had been several leaks.

Joe (our Army son) comes home Thursday night from S. Korea and we are off for the maiden voyage to the lake on Monday! We are EXCITED!!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Forgot to mention that the repair guy's helper wanted to buy her! He was in love and said to let him know if we ever decide to sell
Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Well, we have made two trips in our Argosy. The first was when our son came home from Korea. I almost don't count it as a trip because we only went about 8 miles over to Lake Lanier! But, we did stay in the camper and had lots of fun. The weather was great.

The last trip was to Clemson, SC. Our other son works as a horse show groom and had a show at T.Ed Garrison Arena. We decided to take the Argosy so he wouldn't have to sleep in a stall That trailer pulls like a dream. Cruising up I-85, it's really easy to forget it's even there. There is no sway when the big rigs pass, which can be frightening. Of course, we pull it with a Ford F550 Longhorn hauler, which works like a dream.

We did find a few more little glitches: the black water valve doesn't appear to work. It was in the closed position, but when we pulled the cap, we got a surprise! Quick work and reactions prevented a major problem, but another thing to repair. Also, it absolutely poured the first day we were there and we found a couple more leaks that need to be fixed. Jim thinks one is around the A/C over the bedroom in the fifth wheel. The other may be coming from the refrigerator vent. He will be up there doing some caulking as soon as the weather permits.

All in all, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our baby!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Cumming , Georgia
Just found this on the internet -Used 1988 Airstream RV Argosy 35 Fifth Wheels at Nielson RV Hurricane Utah Nielson RV

It's our Argosy's twin - only more than twice what we paid.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #37

Grass Range , Montana
Love the ceiling! I just acquired an 88 Argosy 5th wheel (w/o slide out) and need to replace the ceiling so your work is very interesting to me. Is that t&g?
MT Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Lakeside , Arizona
So agree with that. I love mine
JaniMint80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:09 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Lakeside , Arizona
I have a slide out on mine with a switch as well I have a 12 volt plug thingy that I think plugs in under the cabinets close to the floor very hidden and believe the switch is for the lights in slide out once the 12 volt this is plugged in
JaniMint80 is offline   Reply With Quote