Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Squarestream > All Squarestream Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Filling horizontal propaneTanks

I have just found out that lots of folks that use to refill the horizontal tanks have done away with the left hand thread fill valve that it takes to fill the old style tanks because of the BIG fine they have to pay if they have one in sight of an inspector.
Has any one found away to get your tank fixed with the new type valve.I have not seen any new horizontal tank that will fit in the trailer.
Would like to hear from any of you squaresteamer of what you are doing about this and any problems you are having.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, Jimmini, that's complete news to me.

Keep in mind that every portable, refillable cylinder, old or new, has the left-hand, internal threads, whether or not those cylinders have the large, right-hand threads on the outside. And, of course, whether or not those cylinders are fitted with OPDs.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
I have just found out that lots of folks that use to refill the horizontal tanks have done away with the left hand thread fill valve that it takes to fill the old style tanks because of the BIG fine they have to pay if they have one in sight of an inspector.
Has any one found away to get your tank fixed with the new type valve.I have not seen any new horizontal tank that will fit in the trailer.
Would like to hear from any of you squaresteamer of what you are doing about this and any problems you are having.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Ah, Jimmini, that's complete news to me.

Keep in mind that every portable, refillable cylinder, old or new, has the left-hand, internal threads, whether or not those cylinders have the large, right-hand threads on the outside. And, of course, whether or not those cylinders are fitted with OPDs.

Lynn
That is right, BUT some refill station will only have the large right hand threads and some have done away with the small left hand ones all ready.I do not know the LAW BUT yesterday when I got mine filled where I have out here for the last year the owner now has the small one in his desk in his office so as not to be seen.He has been to school on this and knows that he can legally fill horizontal tanks but is faced with who ever sets the rules that he can be fined for having the small left hand filler.Realy would like to know more about this.
The both the Gaint servics staitions in Payson AZ where I use to get my tanks filled did away with the small left hand ones almost 2 years ago.
Problem is how do we get around this or how do we replace our tanks?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Kind of doubtful that the NFPA is behind this. Propane regulations are strictly state-based matters, not federal. In AZ, this is a propane fillers association, not the state government, as far as I know.

Even so, I can't imagine fillers doing away with left-hand nozzles. There are a LOT of cylinders out there that do not have external threads and probably never will. These are the 100 lb cylinders.

Lynn
Old 06-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Hello any moderator.
Maybe we can change the title from squarestream to Horizontal propane bottles since this also is applicable to some Classics made around the same time as squarestreams.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Kind of doubtful that the NFPA is behind this. Propane regulations are strictly state-based matters, not federal. In AZ, this is a propane fillers association, not the state government, as far as I know.

Even so, I can't imagine fillers doing away with left-hand nozzles. There are a LOT of cylinders out there that do not have external threads and probably never will. These are the 100 lb cylinders.

Lynn
Ya it is differant in all States I guess.I had been told that some States just use NFPA rules and some make their owen.I know the folks with horizontal tanks in Canada had to replace them.I just do not know how it was done.leefield had to replace his in FL as I remember from his post 1988 squarestream project
I just want to figure my options so when and if the day comes I can not get my tanks filled I will know what to do.
Me I am tired of ALL Government to many rules,laws and xxxx
Old 07-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
new douglas , Illinois
Any new experience with these horizontal tanks? I for one do not like hassles when traveling and getting propane is high on the list. Anyone know if horizontal can be converted to vertical, or am I looking at new tanks?
tks, fiddle
fiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Horizontal cylinders are really not much of a problem for fillers. I suspect that the main problem is not filling per se, but rather getting them out of the Airstream and putting them back in.

It's doubtful that anybody would want to convert a horizontal cylinder to a vertical one. They're just engineered so differently. Retrofitting the Airstream itself to take vertical cylinders would probably be easier.

Lynn
Old 08-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
So . . . Lets kick this around some more.

Am to the point of not wanting to fight the ignorance about the horizontal tank OPD exemption any more especially as it is getting difficult to find operations that are willing to certify the tanks even though they will pass.

Anybody have experience with converting over to horizontal OPD tanks?
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
I put 2 alum 40 Lb fork lift tanks in had to remove the stop plates to fit them in.
pull them out take them in to fill standing up works like a charm.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote