Old 08-08-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
1986 Squarestream upgrades

I have had my Squarestream trailer for six years now, acquiring it from my parents who were the original owners, Over that time made a few upgrades due to maintenance needs, and better technology available now that wasn't before, The first upgrade was a Progressive Dynamics PD4600 power converter and battery charger. The original B-W Charger overcharged the batteries if the shore power cord was connected to AC, shortening the battery life, Now the batteries stay charged in winter without being boiled to death. I was able to do the conversion myself as I am handy and understand electricity and electronics. Basically the new electronics fit into the shell of the old charging unit and the original breaker/ fuse panel is retained. I also installed installed a Surge guard Model 34520 RV power protection unit, to protect all my electronics inside the trailer, I installed the optional LED status display under the control panel on the cabinet side where you check the battery and tank capacities.

The 2nd upgrade were some chrome bullet hubs I found on Ebay that fit the center hole (3 1/8) of the stock white spoke wheels, inexpensive and a much better look than the cheap chrome plastic originals.

The third was replacing the furnace which had trouble igniting and since it was 24 years old I replaced it with an Atwood furnace. This necessitated enlarging the hole on the outside wall and re positioning the AC plug to above the rear wheel.

4th was The original water regulator failed, It is part of the fresh water inlet assembly hose bib. The closest replacement was nicer looking chromed though plastic like the original, however I had to make the hole in the exterior wall by about 1/2" wider than the original. I found a cup that had the correct diameter placed it over the hole to use it as a template marked the new hole with a pencil, then cut the hole with a dremmel cut off wheel. It worked very well. the threaded fitting to the PE tubing inside was the same as the old.

Fifth was the original radio casette stereo which is never great as RV factory installed equipment needed updating. I installed a Jensen AWM 970 which has a lot better tuner and can handle CDs DVDs connections to an ipod (but not iphone, alas) and mp3 capability. As this was 5 years ago, there are newer and better stereo units now. I had to cut the hole larger to accommodate the new unit, then have a cabinet maker friend make side panels for either side to cover up the old hole. It came out pretty good. It sounds good with the original speakers but plan to one day upgrade those as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy wheels.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	268522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jensen AWM 970.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	268523  

Name:	20150809_135612.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	268524   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge guard.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	268528  

Name:	20150809_135524.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	268529  

squareboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:37 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
Red face outside speakers & 12 V power plugs

My latest upgrade is outside speakers..I found an acrylic cutting board that would fit the maintenance access compartment for the fridge in my RV trailer, 12"x18". I mounted some waterproof boat speakers and 2 12v power plugs and now I can listen to music and charge my phone outside under the awning. It is removable with 4 thumbscrews.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Interesting, when the speakers are installed how is the refrigerator efficiency? Does it still maintain temperature, I would think the efficiency would drop by restricting airflow quite a bit. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
I have been dry camping all week with the refrigerator running on propane. There is plenty of airflow around the sides and a little gap on the bottom. The refrigerator is running find with no problems and no heat build up.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
Adding Renogy 400w solar panel system

This years upgrade is for a Renogy 400W solar panel system with a 40A MPPT controller charger. I am using my existing flooded lead acid batteries (3 years old) until they need changing in A couple of years. Then I will switch to LI batteries. I found a good location for the controller next to the thermostat on the right side of the cabinet where the stereo is, I ran the wiring concealing it with a cord mate III c310 cord cover kit which made for a clean install. This placed the controller close to the battery compartment and I penetrated the roof right above where the storage cabinets are in the right interior corner of the compartment. The storage panels are just lying on the roof for now as we are dry camping in a wind sheltered area. I am studying pictures of other members projects on this site which reveal the aluminum framing and am determine the best way to fasten them permanently. I only have 2 hours of direct sunlight due to trees and 3 of the 4 panels set up, due to additional cables on order to connect the 4th panel, but that is keeping my batteries charged without a need for a generator. I have no inverter at this point as am running 12v appliances only, including a 12v 19 JENSEN TV.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
Renogy 40A solar panel controller in 1986 Argosy

Name:	B2FAB69B-CD5D-47C6-A24C-33C1B109AC73.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	371567