Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Robbie, if that thing is really as small as it looks you would have to convert the whole thing to a shower to have room to pick up the soap.
Very cool old trailer, luv to see some pics of the interior.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
It does look like a kit trailer, similar to the one in this Chris * Craft add in an 1953 issue of Life Magazine!

Take a look see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Good Old Days.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	154089  
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Wow the boat was $49. And your little camper was $549!!! What a bargain, what a deal!!! LOL
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Yup! Those were the good'Ol days! Always fun looking back at some of these old trailers though. I got a big kick out of the wording in the trailer kit add that states ' $549.00 ( plus tires ), not tax '.

Thanks for posting this, KP!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Kittypuke,
Yes, your name made me smile.
We named a corner about 6 miles from our house "Kittypuke Corner" cause our cat always heaves there. Then she's good for a trip.
Your trailer made me think of one my grand dad bought in early 60's. He lived in southern Ontario and the trailer was old when he bought it.
I got to sleep in it a couple of nites. It was about 15', painted red with a painted canvas top. I do remember that because we had a painted canvas canoe in the garage of our house. Wish I had both trailer and canoe!

Best of luck on your treasure!
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet
Kittypuke,
Yes, your name made me smile.
We named a corner about 6 miles from our house "Kittypuke Corner" cause our cat always heaves there. Then she's good for a trip.
Your trailer made me think of one my grand dad bought in early 60's. He lived in southern Ontario and the trailer was old when he bought it.
I got to sleep in it a couple of nites. It was about 15', painted red with a painted canvas top. I do remember that because we had a painted canvas canoe in the garage of our house. Wish I had both trailer and canoe!

Best of luck on your treasure!
I imagined your cat, standing upright with one paw against a pole....thinking about how bad your driving is and heaving...gettin ready for the carnival ride
Because the camper is so dirty outside my friend said I should use some window chalk and write. "free ice cream" and an arrow pointing to the door. Funny but I would get pulled over every 5 feet and Amber Alerts when no one is even missing
Thanks for the positive comments I enjoy reading your stories and the sharing!
Robbie
Kittypuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba
I know, I know ... wiggles in seat, waves hand in the air. It is Wally's prototype for the Base Camp series of Airstreams.

Do I get the gold star (or silver)?
Platinum Gold is too expensive right now....
Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner
Robbie, if that thing is really as small as it looks you would have to convert the whole thing to a shower to have room to pick up the soap.
Very cool old trailer, luv to see some pics of the interior.
tim
Rumrunner is what creates kittypuke, Yegar gets her dancing on the bar haven't done it in awhile tho, the quarters sting too much, but the truckers say it makes me dance faster. They really get livid when I stop to check the $20's
Kidding of course! I will post pix Saturday afternoon also, with a better camera. Thanks Rummy
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfour
It does look like a kit trailer, similar to the one in this Chris * Craft add in an 1953 issue of Life Magazine!

Take a look see.
Times haven't changed too much, see in the picture the guy is checking out the girls, while the wife is reaching for the hull plug
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypuke View Post
Times haven't changed too much, see in the picture the guy is checking out the girls, while the wife is reaching for the hull plug
'WOW' KP!.. No, I never noticed that!..

I'm trying to think of a more appropriate answer over here... OKay...

Lets say that I have fallen very deeply in love with you. Now keep in mind that we are on an trailer oriented site.

Would you hitch me?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypuke

This will be where I add updated pictures as well as I restore it if anyone's interested. My GMC Coach is on there too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30929748@N04/
I added pix today, had some neat stuff in the cabinets
Old 03-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
This was my granddad's but we can't figure out what year make or model. Any ideas? Amy help is truly appreciated. We thought it was home made but it's too nice of a job. It has a rear door, awning, matching vintage stove and ice box, fold down table and bunk bed.
Robbie in Alabama
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30929748@N04/

More pixhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/30929748@N04/
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
This was my granddad's but we can't figure out what year make or model. Any ideas? Amy help is truly appreciated. We thought it was home made but it's too nice of a job. It has a rear door, awning, matching vintage stove and ice box, fold down table and bunk bed.
Robbie in Alabama
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Great Pics!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypuke View Post
Pretty cool pics of the trailer. Stove top and sink look in perfect shape!! That bunk looks interesting. I like the little chain holding it up! Rock a bye baby! LOL
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyoD
Pretty cool pics of the trailer. Stove top and sink look in perfect shape!! That bunk looks interesting. I like the little chain holding it up! Rock a bye baby! LOL
Thanks, I kinda wiped some of it down. Still can't figure out much about it tho. Modernaire made the icebox and stove. The stove controls are hidden behind the small pull down drawer below it. The awning turned out to be in perfect shape, the ice pick/carrier gives me the creeps tho
Should I polish or paint it? I'm at a total loss on that decision.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You can't reverse painting very easily. Polishing, you can. Try a small section and see how it looks. For either, a thorough cleaning of the skin will be necessary and start there.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
You can't reverse painting very easily. Polishing, you can. Try a small section and see how it looks. For either, a thorough cleaning of the skin will be necessary and start there.

Gene
I will do a test spot tomm. I decided to nickname him Sputnick he sorta looks like space junk anyway.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
What a cool little trailer- I love the simple ones, icebox, cook top and a bed. The '71 Super Beetle is pretty nice, too.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64
What a cool little trailer- I love the simple ones, icebox, cook top and a bed. The '71 Super Beetle is pretty nice, too.
Nothing to break The VW is a 1970, it's going on eBay in a week for a friend.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
We just got back from a trip out towards West Texas. At Ft Davis (home of the Buffalo Soldiers) was a fully rebuilt kitchen behind the officers quarters. A lady was in there cooking on the old wood stove and many of her ingredients were in the icebox. Those tongs were hanging on the wall next to the icebox. She opened it to show us how it looked and stated that she opens it countless times a day to show people, and it still stays cold...
Nice find, and some sentimental value to go with it. That always makes it better. Good for you.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote