Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Tips for replacing black water valve.

So on our recent epic 2900 mile trip I noticed that our black water valve has a small drip.

I have seen new valves as well as rebuild kits on VTS.

Anybody been through this on a Streamline and have advice? I will get a photo of the valve to help identify it.

Needless to say I'm not looking forward to this job. Especially after the trip.

Let the jokes fly...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
I replaced mine when I installed the gray water tank. It was a thetford. I cut it off leaving as much of the abs pipe on the tank as possible. Glued on a new valterra. It also gave me quite a bit more clearance than the old. I did have to modify the plastic piece where the valve comes out. I used a product called plastaid for the cementing.
www.plast-aid.com
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
1965 was the year Airstream switched from brass to plastic valves. Other manufacturers switched around the same time. A photo would help determine what you have.

In general, with the plastic valves, it's no big deal to replace the valve assembly with an identical new one, just a matter of 4 (or sometimes 8) screws to get it all off.

If you flush the tank out with water before doing the work, it isn't actually that messy a job. Just fill it up partway with water and empty it, then repeat a couple times.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
I replaced both black and grey valves on my 73 Silver Streak Continental Saturn this spring with Thetford valves. Model number 08709 ordered from Amazon. Both were a great fit with a little work. The new valve was 3/4" thicker than the old one and on the black tank and I had to cut the pipe back a bit. I also had to notch the hole where the rod for opening and closing the valve went through the frame. Had no problems with the grey water side.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdogg View Post
I replaced mine when I installed the gray water tank. It was a thetford. I cut it off leaving as much of the abs pipe on the tank as possible. Glued on a new valterra. It also gave me quite a bit more clearance than the old. I did have to modify the plastic piece where the valve comes out. I used a product called plastaid for the cementing.
www.plast-aid.com
I changed out the old Thetford valve on my Avion to the more common Valterra. I used the same valve when I installed a Gray Water tank.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
The old valve is a Saniware, and looks like the whole thing needs replacing.

Are the Thetford and Valterra the same basic size? Can I buy one in advance or should I pull mine first?

I will do a bit more research.

Thanks!
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130825_110758.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	194102  
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Checking in to see how the valve replacement went....

My black water tank seems to have a personality all its own (either that, or I didn't get all the acorns out when I did the numerous driveway fill and flush....). But, now it won't drain for anything. Period.

So, I'm now wondering what my next step is. I've thought about back flushing the tank, but the hose attachment point isn't a standard (current standard) size.

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Run a garden hose up the open valve and watch out.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Funny. At first I thought in the pic that the black thing was some weird black tank hookup until I realized it was the handle.

You can get new blades for those, but you may want to consider just replacing the whole valve.

Something could have clogged in the elbow. You can get caps that have integrated threads for a garden hose to back flush. Back flush it while the blade is open. Close the valve, then turn off the hose and take the cap off.

Were those figurative "acorns" or literal? Maybe I dont' want to know. If real, I guess you're saying they came down the vent pipe. I put a cover on mine, but before that, I bought a stainless steel basket, like the kind used for kitchen sinks, and stretched it over the vent pipe to keep out waps.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
Literal acorns, some wood splinters, and other assorted items one would not normally associate with the black water tank.

But, that does remind me, I do need a cap for the vent....

Julianne
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolavalkyrie View Post
Checking in to see how the valve replacement went....

My black water tank seems to have a personality all its own (either that, or I didn't get all the acorns out when I did the numerous driveway fill and flush....). But, now it won't drain for anything. Period.

So, I'm now wondering what my next step is. I've thought about back flushing the tank, but the hose attachment point isn't a standard (current standard) size.

Julianne
I haven't fixed ours yet. Too many other (mostly house) projects in line.

Are you leaving your valve open all the time? Even if you are hooked to a sewer line you should only dump when full or nearly full. Or else the solids stay behind and build up. Try using the Geo method of adding soap and water softener to the tank to see if it helps break things free.

And if it makes you feel any better I have to tackle toilet replacements in our 105 year old house. That should be fun.