Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Thinking about Avions

I have been looking for a smaller AS or Argosy for about six months and have yet to find one with the right mix of cost and condition. I am thinking about expanding my search to include Avions. A few questions

- do the axles need replacing like AS or can a rehab of a say 60s or 70s model be sufficient with repacking the bearings?
- what are the issues with a floor repair. Is the floor like the AS set up, being a key component of the strength and structure of the unit?
- what are the key flaws/expensive issues that I should be looking at for repair?
- are parts like window/door gaskets difficult to find or is the same as for a vintage as
- beyond curved windows, are there any parts that are particularly difficult to find?
- I would not be doing a frame off restoration. Will I be able to access the water lines etch?
- Assuming that I find a unit without AC is that a particularly costly or difficult addition - given the need to run power and a condensation line?
- I would use the unit for boondocking. Is it difficult to add additional gray water tank or holding tank?
- are the old stoves salvageable?
- any other pointers?

Thanks for the help. Just not sure if the minimal potential savings on an Avon might be worth the hassles. I need a shorter (less than 24) unit and weight is a concern given my TV.

Thanks all
RhinoWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Avions

Hi Rhino,

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. I had an Airstream Excella 31 foot, and sold it to buy an Avion 34X. I have been very happy with the Avion.

- do the axles need replacing like AS or can a rehab of a say 60s or 70s model be sufficient with repacking the bearings?

In general, NO. Avion did not go to the rubber suspended axle like Airstream until mid year 1988. Any trailer older than that will either have the Adjust-a-Ride suspension (it's a Dexter axle cut in half, to make a swingarm that bolts to the center frame rail, so you get fully independant suspension) or the Mor-Ryde walking beam type suspension. Both are excellent. Both virtually never wear out. They went to Adjust-a-Ride in the mid 70's some time and had it until mid year '88. Before the mid 70's, they used the Mor-Ryde, which is probably even better.

- what are the issues with a floor repair. Is the floor like the AS set up, being a key component of the strength and structure of the unit?

Avion's floor sits inside the shell. You can replace the floor without unbolting the shell. Most Avions have a floor that is 1.5" thick, made in three layers. There are screws from the outside going through the shell into the floor, but the shell does not sit on the floor. It is easier to replace the Avion's floor than the Airstream's.

- what are the key flaws/expensive issues that I should be looking at for repair?

Go around the outside storage doors at the bottom of the coach and check the floor. Also inside the main entry door, check the floor. If the floor will have any problems, you will find it here.

Avion's frame is much heavier than Airstream's. You typically don't have much trouble with them.

Avion also tends to use more "standard" RV industry stuff than Airstream. So if anything, replacing stuff is usually cheaper on them.

- are parts like window/door gaskets difficult to find or is the same as for a vintage as

Easier.

- beyond curved windows, are there any parts that are particularly difficult to find?

I have a 1987 model, and I've found that standard "RV Normal Stuff" works on it. They are fairly easy to get parts for. The Cayo brothers still make fiberglass parts for them, so you can get OEM vent covers, rock guards, etc.

- I would not be doing a frame off restoration. Will I be able to access the water lines etch?

Similar to an Airstream, everything is enclosed. You have to pull the belly pan to get to the water lines. It's not a big deal at all. Just drill out the rivets, drop the pan, and you can get to everything.

- Assuming that I find a unit without AC is that a particularly costly or difficult addition - given the need to run power and a condensation line?

Avion never had a condensation line....they just let the water drip off the roof, down the along the side drip rail, and off the back corner. No harder to put an a/c unit on one of these than anything else. I changed mine out to a bigger 15,000 btu unit. Hardest part was lifting that big ol' hoss up onto the roof by myself. No problems here.

- I would use the unit for boondocking. Is it difficult to add additional gray water tank or holding tank?

Mine already had both. Shouldn't be any worse than on anything else. Avion's frame rails are deeper than Airstream's, so if nothing else, there's a little more room in there to add a tank.

How old? My '87 Magic Chef works fine. If it was a '67, I'd probably throw it over the hill and get a new one. But you could probably get an LP gas place to fix it up for you. Truth is, they don't get used much. So it'd probably be age more than wear that has the old stove looking bad. Talk to your local LP gas outfit, especially if they modify stoves to go from natural gas to LP and vice versa.

- any other pointers?

The mid 80's models had bigger windows which made them brighter inside. The older Avions were kind of dark inside...at least for my taste. They are a very well made coach. They are very similar to Airstream, with the biggest differences being (A) Much stouter frame (B) use of more industry standard accessory parts (C) suspension not using the rubber stuff that wears out.

The only real negative I see on Avion is that they annodized their skins. Now, that is a plus as far as corrosion proofing goes. The negative is that, while you can use ParFe wax and shine one up enough to comb your hair in, you can't get a mirror polish on it like you can an Airstream with their ALCLAD skin. Now, to maintain an Airstream's polish like that, be prepared to put in a couple hundred hours a year on it. They are beautiful, but most folks don't go to that much trouble. If you can live with being able to see yourself, but not tweeze your eyebrows in the reflection, you'll be OK with Avion's finish If you have to have a perfect mirror, better stick with Airstream.

But in the end, stouter frame, good suspension, very nice interior cabinetry, you won't go wrong with one.

Here's my 34X behind the Dodge. We like it.

Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig 2010.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	208980  
Old 04-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoWW View Post
I have been looking for a smaller AS or Argosy for about six months and have yet to find one with the right mix of cost and condition. I am thinking about expanding my search to include Avions. A few questions

- any other pointers?

Thanks for the help. Just not sure if the minimal potential savings on an Avon might be worth the hassles. I need a shorter (less than 24) unit and weight is a concern given my TV.

Thanks all
For starters - use the SEARCH function here. Google search of Airstream versus Avion might be useful. Generally the Avions are robust! Many would say more so than Airstreams. They are anodized so they don't polish up if you aren't willing to take the anodizing off. I say leave them alone as "Pewter Princes" or Princesses. Like Airstreams you have to wait for them to tell you whether they're male or female.

The interiors are sturdy but IMHO, ugly. Most could best be described as French Provincial Whorehouse. If I win a big lottery I'll definitely own one, and have it professionally restored.

Paula
Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I agree with everything Jim said. We have a 1984 30' Avion, which I bought after seeing my daughter's 1982 34' Avion. Sold the 31' Airstream & have been very happy with the Avion. I am still in the process of tracking down leaks, but I did the same thing with the Airstream. I fixed a few soft spots in the floor & it's very straight-forward. They feel much more spacious than an Airstream. I like it, I like it alot! They just don't have the following that the Airstreams have.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have an '85 31' Avion and a 2006 25' AS. The Avion is superior in fit and finish to the AS!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
I'm looking at a 63. Been sitting in a field for a while with no love. Fridge is gone and systems are untested. A very roomy looking 27 feet but I do wonder if it will get dark at night.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Hi

Outside it will definitely get dark http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...lies/smile.gif

But in all seriousness, I'm in the UK and had a 73 Airstream, and now own a 60Avion H24, my better half noticed that the Avion is slightly darker inside than the AS, which is down to the fact that it has less windows, but i have helped the situation during my resto, by replacing the inner skins with plain aluminium and lighter flooring. i could go even further and get clear or smoked rooflights/vents
In general the restoration has been easier and more straightforward with the Avion, i replaced the floor (shell on ) and have removed and resealed and replaced all the windows and now refurbing the original cabinets to re-install, mine is 1 of only 2 Avions that i know of in the UK and being a 60 will polish, the 63 that you are looking at might be anodised as they changed in 62/3 from Alclad to Anodised.
I hope you make a decision soon and good luck.
cheers
Tim
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
PM sent
Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We have a 73 Avion and a 76 Airstream. There are stark differences between the brands. We do favor the Avion; it is a solidly built coach.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Gonzalez , Florida
Our 1978 28.5 model M

We have our Avion had it almost a year. It has been very easy to work on, mostly updating a few things. New corian countertops, stainless backsplash, new curtains, etc. It iix built like a rock, beautiful wood work and cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	209005  
Pensacola, Fla.
Go Noles!
Smokeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks all. Very helpful.

In looking at what's available reasonably close to me, I have seen a few 24s and a few 27s. Both are available with two axles and one axle. The T-27 with one axle seems a bit long to me to have one axle, and frankly so does the 24, although both are from the 60s and weigh in the low 3,000s. I wonder how the single axles might do at the current highway speed limits given how light they are.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a 1969 Avion C-11 camper that has been in the family since new and a 1988 34' Avion trailer that we have owned since the early 1990s. Both are very well built. The Avion's frame is much stronger than an Airstream. There is no doubt about that. You don't have to worry about floor and shell separation and the tanks falling out of the bottom with an Avion. They can both be rebuilt, but the Avion will last longer and is easier to rebuild. Also, they are usually cheaper to purchase. Find an Avion from a dry climate like AZ and you will probably have a good restoration project.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I also have a C-11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoWW View Post
On the trailers you can expect to replace bearings and backing plates. As noted upthread you typically don't have to replace axles. There are tradeoffs. Torsion axles allow the trailer to sit lower and don't use up as much interior space, and provide a better ride. Leaf spring axles are more durable.

However, if the trailer has had a hard life it is possible that the leaf springs could be sagging or have one or more broken springs.

Quote:
The main thing to watch is that, like an Airstream, curved panels and stamped components (baggage doors) are expensive and, possibly, difficult to obtain. Same for windows.

Quote:
It depends on the year and on the specific gasket in question. On my 1973 I have been able to get all the window gaskets.

Quote:
L-100 lock
Thermostat for the oven
Parts for the original insta-matic water heater (though I think you can replace the whole thing with the Suburban if you reuse the old door)
Some parts for the vertical-vent furnace (if equipped). Valves and pilots are available but not burners or heat exchangers

Quote:
- any other pointers?
Most of the time and money sinks are the same as any other RV. Appliances, interior cabinets and trim, cumulative time and effort in the plumbing and wastewater systems, electronics.

Some years did not have a converter at all, others had a wonky converter that doesn't charge the battery but instead has a relay that works like a transfer switch and connects the load to the converter but isolates the battery.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31 View Post
PM sent

Thanks to SCF31 for the info.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
We have an 85. It's amazing. I lived full time in it for 18 months and it was a champ for reliability. We have a few issues, but those are mostly repairing the po's neglected leaks etc. solid trailer though
blackhawksid is offline   Reply With Quote