Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Clarita , California
Silver Streak Water system repair.

We just bought our fist vintage trailer. A 1969 Continental Deluxe Rocket 27'. It is in great shape but needs some systems repaired or redone.

First off, we are not sure the water system works properly. We pressurized it without any water in it and all the faucets, etc. closed and it lost all it's pressure within a couple of minutes. Is the best way to test the water system just to fill it up and see what happens? Or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Chris and Mirissa Dunne
Santa Clarita, CA
mrcjdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
Congratulations of your first vintage travel trailer! It will always be a work in progress.

At some point your going to have to introduce water into the system to check for leaks. Pressure loss is either coming from a fitting, a damaged line, or from a fixture. Air pressure can be used to test water lines and fittings, but fixtures are a bit of a challenge.

Fixture valving is designed to be regulate water flow and not air. Dry valving may allow some air bypass.

1970 Silver Streak Sabre Model 20
See our project at www.silverstreaksabre.com
SSSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Clarita , California
Thanks Paul. I still haven't taken delivery of the trailer. I'm getting very antsy. The air pressure test didn't seem like a surefire way to test a water system. The man I bought it from didn't want to test it with water in case something did leak. It was an as-is sale after all.

I enjoyed your blog chronicling your Sabre rebuild. Have you done any work since the last entry in June?

Also, your document library is excellent. What a great resource. Thanks.

Regards,

Chris
mrcjdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Collinsville , Oklahoma
Hi Chris. It's probably better to get the trailer on your home turf before you start serious diagnostics. You'll be better prepared to react to and quickly clean up a leak. I forget to mention in the previous post that the tank filler neck cap may be a source of pressure loss if your trailer still has the original pressure system installed. The cap seal or schrader valve may be bad.

I've made a little progress since June...not much though. I just haven't taken the time to update the blog and hope to get it caught up this evening.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

1970 Silver Streak Sabre Model 20
See our project at www.silverstreaksabre.com
SSSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSabre View Post
I forget to mention in the previous post that the tank filler neck cap may be a source of pressure loss if your trailer still has the original pressure system installed. The cap seal or schrader valve may be bad.
Hey Paul, I'm helping Chris and Mirissa with their new Silverstreak and have been checking out your blog. Your photos and write-ups are excellent resources. I'm looking forward to your next update.

I also thought the cap seal or schrader valve might be the first possible sources of a leak when testing with air pressure. I noticed your system had a lot of freeze damage when you took it apart. I'm hoping the fact that Chris and Mirissa's system was able to pressurize up to 20 psi, even for such a short time, suggests it does not have that extensive kind of freeze damage. But we will see when we actually put water in the system. Crossing my fingers that it just needs some new faucets and seals as opposed to a whole new system. The copper work that Silver Streak installed originally is very nice looking work.

Norm
Old 11-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #6

1966 20' Globetrotter
Sebastopol , California
I'm having pressure issues with my cap. Where can I find a new one? I havent been able to locate any online.
bretttles is offline   Reply With Quote