Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Silver Streak Second AC

Has anyone had experience with adding a second air conditioner to a Silver Streak. 76 Continental Supreme. I am looking at adding a second unit to the front vent over the sofa. Currently have a 13.5k Coleman Mach over the galley area that won't keep up when it gets over 100 degrees.
Ranch2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Any time it gets over 100 degrees most A/C systems in an Airstream won't keep up no matter what the size. My suggestion is find some shade this will really help. Awnings on both sides and rear window also helps. I live in Texas and when it is 100 or above an Airstream in the sun is not a cool place to be.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
a 13.5 is OK for a Caravel in Texas summer heat. With that big beauty you have I think the second ac is a great idea.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Have you thought about a temporary solution of 63% nursery shade cloth. It will really make a difference on the BTU heat on the roof area if you are not traveling daily. They used to have designer colors of it at the BIG BOX store.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd go with the bedroom at at least 13.5K and the galley at 15k, minimum. Wiring will also be easier as the connections will need to be made from the circuit breaker box in the rear bath (mainly; year-dependent).

It would help to post details & pics of your unit.

We've now several SS owners here with 1972 and later units.

On our '83 34' we managed with one 15k unit that made the temps bearable either in Dallas or Corpus Christi given a bit of afternoon shade. An SS is better than an A/S for thermal insulation, but all these trailers benefit by stuffing unused vents with insulation ("pillows"), storm windows, shades & drapes, plus an oscillating fan. A rear A/C was on our list prior to sale (see link in sig).

We bought and used this Allaire fan for the front lounge.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Rednax, thanks for the info on those cool fans! I will have to get some of those myself. I hace a little plastic one like, but its not as cool as that.

Also, how about the roof A/C. plus a portable A/C to supplement, i.e. the one at Lowes. Would running both pull too much power?

De' Longhi protable A/C in 10000, 12000, 13000 btu.

Shop Heating & Cooling : Air Conditioners & Fans : Air Conditioners at Lowes.com

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Rednax Thanks for the response.
I have had a couple of thoughts. First was to swap the existing 13.5k with a 15k unit and using just the one AC. I am in central Texas area.
I am parked permanently in a RV park and the trailer is in the shade most of the day. Most importantly only the front windows get indirect west sun.
One of the reasons I am considering a second unit is for the quick cool downs when opening the trailer for the weekend and to keep the temp constant in the late afternoon. Right now it creeps above 80 degrees. At night it will freeze you out.
My current Coleman Mach is an 93' model so it's days could be numbered.
As for adding the unit to the bedroom vent. It seems to be very close to the galley unit. Twin beds with the rear bath 32' Continental. I was concerned about the noise factor. I could run the front unit if installed in the forward vent at night moving the noise farther from the bedroom area. Bath vent is an option but hate to loose that vent it does come in handy. The bath vent would be closest to the power connection.
Ranch2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A 15k is a minimum. Glad to hear you have shade. The above idea of a portable might work (and, as with window units, cut the "rated BTU" by 1/3-1/2 for a better understanding of performance), but the rolling portables are better known for spot cooling, such as next to a work desk.

One could also set up A/C units on the bedroom and the front llounge I suppose.

Also, with above recommendations, go after main door seals, window seals, access door seals; improve refrigerator venting (see SNYDER vent); etc.

I always considered cooldown to take 1.5 hours after a summer day spent on the highway (100F +), when all cabinets, drawers, etc, were cracked open. The trailer was "cool" within 1/2-hour, but it really took time to remove all the humidity and lurking heat.

The simple truth is that from 28' on up (as my folks had) a 15k is just able to cool it off. Until you stand up (layering). A pair is the way to go, IMO< with a conversion to 50A service. There are workarounds to that (separate line to second A/C to shore power) but it seems better to do it right the first time.

The difference between 13.5 and 15 isn't all that apparent, IMO. But you know what to get when buying new. Todays A/C units are pretty much disposable, no serviceable parts.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote