Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Highland , Utah
Parts from one make to another???

Hello all, I am new to the community and my daughter just asked how many times and how long had I been on since I started??? My reply -from when I get up til I go to work and then some before I sleep and since I don't sleep pretty much til my computer freezes,

which it does but on to the question at hand.

Is it possible to use trailer parts from one maker to redo another? I know lots of makers probably use the same oven or the same fridge but how about lights or other fun trinkets/finds?

I can rewire most things if I think hard enough -I remake vintage chandeliers and they are not easy but they are where I got the idea since I use a lot of salvaged parts to make new wholes..

I ramble just wanted to know before I go salvaging in old rusty buckets for things I will never be able to use. and then to tow another one home for 2020's project Ha Ha Tee Hee
vintagecaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Most RV appliances are used by various companies, so propane is propane.

Same goes for 12V lights, pumps, fans, etc. It's just a matter of aesthetics and getting the polarity right (some times it doesn't matter).

Zep
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecaryn View Post
Is it possible to use trailer parts from one maker to redo another? I know lots of makers probably use the same oven or the same fridge but how about lights or other fun trinkets/finds?
To answer the question I think you're asking, Dometic, Atwood, and other RV appliance makers don't produce makes/models specifically for an Airstream. Airstream goes out and finds appliances that are already being made, and buys the ones they want. So, a Dometic refrigerator out of an Airstream trailer is probably exactly the same as a Dometic refrigerator out of a fifth-wheel trailer, assuming the refrigerators are the same size and vintage.

As long as they work, and as long as they fit, it shouldn't matter WHERE you get your appliances and fixtures.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
It may be easier to restore an obscure trailer produced in low numbers, than a very popular trailer made in large numbers.

All manufacturers buy components from outside suppliers. But the giants have the clout to order special colors, designs etc by the thousands or to make special tools and fixtures to make their own parts.

Smaller manufacturers must buy regular off the shelf parts as used by dozens of other trailer companies. They cannot afford to spend a fortune on special tooling so most of what they build is made in a simple fashion, that can be duplicated in a home garage or workshop.

It is also likely that appliance manufacturers keep the same dimensions for years. That way their customers do not have to tear up their blueprints and start over, every time they come up with an improved model.

So, there are no hard and fast rules, but it is usually possible to get parts for even the most obscure trailer or to adapt a similar part from one of the big manfacturers of parts.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I recently restored an Avion C-11 and I found that some of the modern items still fit, like a new water heater (Atwood). The Dometic refrigerator of that old size is no longer made, so I modified the camper to take a larger one.
If you try to be totally original, it will be expensive and not as good as it could be. For example, I changed out all my lights to LEDs and my new battery charger is much better than the original. My water heater is now an electronic ignition model. I now have a CO and LP monitor. I don't mind restoring an old camper or trailer, but I want to have the modern appliances, when it makes sense to do so.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote