Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #1

Jacksonville , Florida
Novice looking at '59 Falcon

I am posting here because I feel in a hurry. I hate to be asking redundant questions but hope someone will offer advice. I found a '59 Falcon that has all original parts but the tires are ruined and it can't be towed as it is. The seller just posted on Craigslist this morning and it's only like 15 miles from my house.

Aside from obviously needing tires right away, I am not likely to get a towing demonstration at this point.

I want to go see the airstream and be prepared to make an offer. He listed no "For Sale" price but just "Make Offer." However, I am leary about buying it and not being able to bring it home today. He says he has the title and I am actually a private investigator so I can do some checking about that part but I'm still leary. If I hand over cash I want the goods!

Is there some way to protect myself and for him to feel protected in the transaction?

Then how difficult is it to get new tires on an Airstream? Is this something I have to get an RV dealer to come do or if I buy tires can my boyfriend and I get them on? He's a strong, handy guy (a carpenter and tree surgeon) so I am hoping we can manage if I can find the tires to fit.

The last time I saw an Airstream by the time I did the research it had already sold! So this time I want to jump on it! Or jump in it!

I am open to any and all advice. Many thanks in advance.

Meri
Jacksonville, FL
Meri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
For a 15 mile trip, you could certainly pick up a set of 15" steel rims, six bolt pattern, zero offset and throw some new tires on them. Jacking up the trailer by the jack points and installing the new wheels should get you home without any problem.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #3

Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you so much! Are most Airstream tires this size? Or did you get this from a manual? I wanted to see if I can find more information (such as where ARE the jack points) and will it come with a jack or can I use a car jack? Sorry--so new and if you don't have time to answer I get it. I am hoping to accomplish a lot in my one day off work!

You have any advice about the buying process though? Do I give him cash, check--how do I know he won't sell it to another person after me? Just general buying safety tips?
Meri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If the seller has the title and you're unable to take the trailer when money changes hands, you should at a minimum leave with the title and a bill of sale in hand, as well as any documents that the state of FL may require for a title transfer that require the seller's signature. Check vs. cash is generally the decision of the seller.

When I bought my Argosy, I paid the seller 10% in cash and we executed a simple written purchase contract, then exchanged the balance of the purchase via a cashier's check when I came to fetch the trailer a few days later.

The trailer isn't likely to have its own jack unless someone has left one in it. I carry a hydraulic bottle jack in my trailer. For newer trailers with the rubber torsion axles, the jack points are on the flange where the axle attaches to the trailer frame. There may be a similar mounting flange on a spring-axle trailer, and you have the advantage that the axle isn't a somewhat-delicate hollow tube. You'll probably get a better answer about the jacking point from someone with experience with the spring-suspension trailers.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I believe 1962 was the first year for the "torsion axle" suspension. I have never been under a pre '62, but believe from what I have read that they had a solid axle and leaf spring suspension. You should be able to use a hard mounting point for jacking. Do not just put the bottle jack under the trailer as the bottom covering is aluminum sheet and you will punch right through. If the rims on the trailer are original, I think they are what are referred to as "split rims" and are unsafe. You will want to replace them. I believe 15" is the standard size wheel for Airstreams. Some of the newer ones can be ordered with 16" or have been retrofitted to 16". If the trailer is that close to you, might I suggest a trip over in the morning to check wheel size, then go to a local tire store and buy what you need (if buying rims, make sure they have a load capacity high enough to hold the trailer (2000# as a wag.). Then return with fresh wheels in hand, make the transaction, and home you go with your prize.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote