Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
BTW, check out www.AVIONtrailers.net for a dedicated Avion board.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
My understanding, from speaking with Chuck Cayo, is that the best Avion suspension is the MorRyde, with the second best being the Adjust-A-Ride, and then the torsion axle like Airstream uses. My understanding is that the MorRyde and Adjust-A-Ride are superior because they actually offer a true independent suspension.

I also find my 84 Avion 30R has an enormous amount of storage compared to my prior 79 Airstream Sovereign.

You have it backwards as to suspensions.

I've been in plenty of these trailers the past half century. I've no problem with my statement about storage space.

Condition matters most. Suspensions can be changed. And storage is relative to use.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #23
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
My experience with 1987 Avion 34W.... storage and suspension

I can speak for the 34' Avions:

Regarding storage: If you compare floor plans, there are differences in interior storage space. The 34W, with it's side bath and rear bedroom, has a tremendous amount of cabinet and closet space. A potential downside to the 34W is the smaller side bath (compared to the rear bath 34V or the mid-bath 34X), but we are not overly large people, so the side bath is good for us.
Although I like the 34X because of the rear queen bed, the down side of that floor plan is that the mid-bath eliminates a lot of closet space.
The 34V has lots of storage and closet space.

Regarding suspensions: I like the Adjust-A-Ride suspension on our 34W. It gives the trailer good independent travel of each wheel. On the older Avions, I can see the benefit of the Mor-Ryde suspension. I'm curious if owners have to consider any kind of wear or ageing of the rubber components? Not a big fan of the age-related issues of the torsion axle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1987 Brochure.pdf (819.2 KB, 31 views)
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Newbie with a few (Avion) questions

Chuck Cayo must have it backwards too then : ). I believe the switch to the torsion axle was a cost saving measure and not an advancement. Speaking from experience, I find the MorRyde suspension on my Avion to be far superior to the NEW torsion axles I installed on my 79 Sovereign. The MorRyde, as well as what I can tell about the Adjust-a-Ride, is independent for EACH wheel. The torsion axle on Airstreams and later Avions isn't bad, but it isn't fully independent like the running gear on prior years of Avions.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You don't know what constitutes independent suspension. Take the hint and go and learn.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Old 11-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky

I get that that the torsion axle is considered an independent suspension, but please enlighten us all as to how it's so superior since you're so wise and knowledgeable.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think he's talking about the last year or two of production which had a different suspension from the adjusta ride. Might be wrong on tnis. I think 88 and 89 had a more AS like suspension.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky

I believe you are right that the 88/89 used the lesser torsion axle similar to Airstream. Chuck Cayo, who has obviously been around forever with the Avions, commented that the MorRyde and Adjust-A-Ride suspensions on prior year Avions were better than the torsion axle found on the final years of Avions.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
According to the 1988 Avion Brochure, which is documented here: http://www.aviontrailers.net/topic38.html ,
the 1988 Trailers had Adjust-A-Ride suspension.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Good find. So 89 was when the switchover to torsion occurred.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Norman , Oklahoma
Yes, I have a 28' 1989 Avion (which is very solid and well built). That's when Avion changed to the "Dura Brite" exterior finish and torsion axles. I wouldn't have any reservation about getting another 1989 Avion that has been well maintained.
ready2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Waddell , Arizona
So one more question: if the axles need to be replaced, how much does that usually cost? Would it be safe to transport it a few hundred miles before I have it done, or is that too risky?
janjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I paid $1415 including shipping for axles from Colin Hyde. Replacement for the most part is pretty simple. That said, mine were on an Airstream. I've got no experience with torsion axles on an Avion, but I'd imagine it'd be similar.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Norman , Oklahoma
You can't get the original AL-KO axles that were on the 1989 Avion. You can replace with something else, but will probably take some work. I will probably go with the MorRyde, even though I'll have to take it to someone. There is a detailed thread about replacing 1989 axles on the Avion Yahoo group archive.
ready2move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
I get that that the torsion axle is considered an independent suspension, but please enlighten us all as to how it's so superior since you're so wise and knowledgeable.

You read up on it yet? Understand the design and performance difference? Why an otherwise similar AS will stay upright longer?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
FYI, this is how a true independent suspension looks like. Torsion axle was a cost cutting replacement in 1989.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	276870  
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Great pic, Rostam.

Still waiting for you to enlighten us, Slowmover.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You read up on it yet? Understand the design and performance difference? Why an otherwise similar AS will stay upright longer?
Are you just trying to stir a pot? Why not tell us all the answers to your questions??

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's there for anyone. On this forum and others. Books. The effect of suspension type on roll center height. Etc. Thats a start.

Not me stirring the pot. Tired of ignorance masquerading as informed opinion on this question.

Avion installed some interesting designs. And they have their weak points. Which is different from suspensions being better or worse in performance.

The Smooth Glide was similar to a Hendrickson Walking Beam. As what's used on trash trucks.

The AdjustaGlide is a stub axle. A bastard design. Has anyone else ever used it in a travel trailer (or other).

Neither offers the same stability as torsion axle, and neither can be repaired with off the shelf parts except by special order.

Both have a shorter life-to-overhaul than the torsion as well.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

It's there for anyone. On this forum and others. Books. The effect of suspension type on roll center height. Etc. Thats a start.

Not me stirring the pot. Tired of ignorance masquerading as informed opinion on this question.

Avion installed some interesting designs. And they have their weak points. Which is different from suspensions being better or worse in performance.

The Smooth Glide was similar to a Hendrickson Walking Beam. As what's used on trash trucks. Not at all independent, but I'll bet it's smooth to tow. Last I knew MOR/ryde still had rebuild kits in vintage or legacy parts.

The AdjustaGlide is a stub axle. A bastard design. Has anyone else ever used it in a travel trailer (or other). Not quite an independent.

Neither offers the same stability as torsion axle, and neither can be repaired with off the shelf parts except by special order. There's at least one story in this forum about losing a stub axle. I'd carry at least one spare.

Both have a shorter life-to-overhaul than the torsion as well.

The question wouldn't stop me from buying one. I've answered that question plenty of times the past ten years.

And the first one I was in was in 1970. Went to the dealers and the RV shows plenty of times right thru the 1980s, besides the ones I was invited to view.

Stirring the pot? Hardly.