Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Monroe , Louisiana
Smile Newbie with '52 Silver Streak Clipper

Hi All,

Reposting in case some of you don't follow the new members forum. I'm Bill, from Louisiana (moving to Austin in a year), just acquired a '52 (titled as a '48, good enough for me for now) SS Clipper judging from the S/N. It's a real project, will need frame work, lotsa dents, but currently usable for short weekend campouts. Heh, after a lot of cleaning, new tires and bearing grease.

Looking for some advice to start with. Anyone have any leads on a Hehr Standard Window frame to put back in where a previous owner installed an A/C? It's the 1 upper 1 lower jalousie type, approx. wall opening 18x31. The glass and seals are no problem, of course. One question on the seals, I'm gonna order the Hehr Standard Glass Seal from VTS for around the glass itself, but I'm not sure about the seal between the moving window to its frame. It currently has some rotted out solidified soft rubber of unknown original shape, in a "U" pattern on each window frame, the window closes down on it. Is this the Hehr Standard Backframe Gasket that VTS has, (kinda "D" shaped with a secondary flap), or is that gasket used to mount and seal the entire window unit into the trailer wall?

Already got some great advice from Flyfshr in my new members intro about repair/replacing the aluminum channels around the Buck Rogers front and rear windows that hold the plexi in, but, repeating the question just in case, does anyone have advice or source on replacement channels? One window is missing 6 inches and has some torn up sections as well. Anyone know of a salvage source, or someone who can fabricate, or am I on my own?

Thanks, I've kinda lurked on these forums for some months until the trailer itself came along, you folks are a wonderful source of help and advice.

Bill
whawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
My first thought is to check Vintage Campers. You never know what he's going to have in stock. www.vintagecampers.com We looked for months for THE Hehr window we needed and are going to end up modifying a different Hehr model as we haven't found ours. We got it from a person parting out an Airstream. So, that may not be the answer with your exact window you were looking for, but it's a direction.

Good Luck!!

Tina
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Greetings Bill and welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you have a top notch project on your hands...we love photos
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Monroe , Louisiana
Hi Vernon and Sarah, thanks! I had checked Vintage Campers a month or so ago before I'd picked the Clipper up, they had very little in windows then. Rechecked after your post, they have a lot more right now, but not mine. It looks like I should go back to their site fairly often and keep looking.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1952 17' Clipper
Monroe , Louisiana
Hi Tina, and sorry I posted my reply to you to Vernon and Sarah, I'm still figuring this forum out. Oh, well, here's my post for them, to you.. I've uploaded one pic of the Clipper as it was when I picked it up. It's actually quite a bit more dented than shows, you're looking at its best angle. Also, it's covered in layers of aluminum paint, that's not the original surface!

It's had a good cleaning outside and in since I got it home, and anything on the inside that wasn't originally there is gone. I've gotten one of the Buck Rogers windows out, am researching seals for the new replacement, thinking of butyl tape right now, it's sticky enough to seal but not so sticky that it can't be taken apart easily in the future.

Yeah, this baby's gonna be a pretty big project!

Bill

Tags
clipper windows, hehr