Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
streamUVlife

Austin , Texas
Newbie and looking at vintage trailers

Hello all. I've been looking at vintage trailers for the past several months and have come to the conclusion that I need your help. ;-) I've decided that a refurbished trailer is probably the way to go. I understand that one ends up putting the money in one way or the other, and I don't have the expertise nor the time to do it myself (although there are several places in Austin that do restorations).

I am looking for 22ft or possibly smaller, something light and towable and am drawn to the Flying Cloud and Bambi trailers for this reason. But I really am feeling my way forward here, and looking for

So, some of my first questions in looking at my local Craigslist are: is it a necessity to have the axle replaced in a late 50's/early 60's model? I've found a few that say they're fully restored but then they've got the original axle, or blackwater tank, shower, toilet and a few other things.

And, if you were looking for your first trailer, to pull for camping and as a part-time Airbnb, if you could go back and do it again, what would you look for? What advice would you give yourself as a raw beginner?

Thanks for your time!
kbimle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Newbie and looking at vintage trailers

The short answer is yes, the axels will need to be replaced. They contain rubber that has hardened and taken a set. IE locked in position. Axel replacement is not that hard. And they come with new brakes and bearings.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Trailers in the 50s had leaf springs not torsion arms. Some people will convert for a softer ride.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

I think it is a good idea, that if you want to spend your time using the trailer rather than working on it, that you buy something that has had all the work done in the first place.

That being said, you still need to get yourself good and educated as to what "good" looks like. There are plenty of people out there who claim to be "professional" restorers, who put out a very superficially spruced up trailer that has a lot of hidden issues. If someone is selling a "fully refurbished" trailer with the original torsion axles under it, I would say that that is a huge red flag. And yes, you need to know enough about the trailers to know whether it has torsion axles or not.

On the topic of using the trailer as an Air B&B, I would say proceed with caution. Get a good understanding of how all of the RV systems work, before you bank on renting the trailer out. There is a learning curve--it isn't just like a house unless you install residential appliances in it, in which case it will no longer be a travel trailer.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2023 25' International
Houston , Texas
Agree with Beleg 100%. For by part, determine your max investment and find the latest model that's affordable. Is your goal to go camping or restore a vintage AS?
veratipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
welcome to the forums.having had 5 vintage AS,[80 caravelle currant] it's important to have said trailer checked out.spend the most you can on the one in the best shape. good luck.
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the Forums, and glad to have you with us.

I agree with all the advice given. Particularly:

-Buy the best one you can afford.
-Look at lots of them so you figure out what you want.
-A completely renovated Airstream will have a repaired, if needed, frame, a painted frame, new floor insulation, new belly pan and new axles and brakes.

Additionally:
- I like the 66-68 best: Caravel, Globetrotter, Safari, Tradewind, Overlander but I am biased.
-Don’t be in a hurry. Go to a rally and look at lots of Airstreams and talk to Airstream owners.
-Get educated (this is a good start). Look at the blogs and threads (mine is Dan’s 66 Tradewind Improvements).
- For Airbnb, let them sleep in your bed, you sleep in the Airstream.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Solon , Ohio
What City?

What state do you live in? I have a friend who has several Vintage Airstreams you can choose from! Some completed most ready for renovations and he can help every step of the way!! Let me know if you are interested!! (I have no stake in this, he just has wonderful Vintage Airstreams!)
Hikia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Axle / Floor Plan Layout

As a reply to one of the previous posts, if your trailer is from the 50's you would not have to replace the axle because it has a leaf spring set-up. The most important trailer layout is a permanent bed layout. If not, you will grow tired of pulling the bed out when its time to sleep, and then putting it away in the morning so you can walk to the bathroom or even make coffee. That gets OLD in a hurry.
Regards,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Vintage Airstream Club

I would suggest you join the VAC and contact the regional rep who is just north of you in Harker Heights. I'm sure he can help you contact local people in Austin that can help you find a unit that fits your needs. good luck

http://vintageairstreamclub.com/regi...ted-positions/

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
streamUVlife

Austin , Texas
Agreed on the bed layout! I'm looking for trailers that have queen beds set up in the back.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
streamUVlife

Austin , Texas
Thanks, TouringDan for your advice. Especially about attending a rally. I'll start looking around for one in my area, I'm sure there are some going on as this is a big Airstream town.

So you don't think Airbnb is the way to go with a trailer?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Craigslist " fully rentavated" = red flag Get an inspector from the forums to go with you. Might do better at a dealer.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbimle View Post
Thanks, TouringDan for your advice. Especially about attending a rally. I'll start looking around for one in my area, I'm sure there are some going on as this is a big Airstream town.

We have stayed in an airbnb Airstream outside of Yosemite that we enjoyed and talking to the host it has worked out very well for him, it was a 99 28 foot classic in original condition showing it's age. Not a babied vintage or newer trailer loved to death by its owner. $150 a night and he averaged about 3 nights a week. His location was everything though.
We were close to doing it with ours being in a touristy town but the county is closing the door on short term rentals here.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
As a reply to one of the previous posts, if your trailer is from the 50's you would not have to replace the axle because it has a leaf spring set-up.

Regards,

StevieB

Well, you may need to rebuild the leaf springs though. I would just replace the axles with new torsion axles built with new brakes. Order them from Colin Hyde to make sure you get the right axles that fit ( I know it is a problem communicating but just be persistent).

Dan
Old 10-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:

Well I am too attached to mine I guess.

Airbnb might work ok if you have full hookups to your trailer.

Dan
Old 10-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
We were close to doing it with ours being in a touristy town but the county is closing the door on short term rentals here.

I suspect if you talk to the zoning office in most locations that have Airbnb’s that they are not legal.

I just wouldn’t call them. We have stayed in Airbnb’s. Not much different than staying with friends or relatives. I don’t see the harm.

Dan
Old 10-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
An offer to help...

Quote:
Hello all. I've been looking at vintage trailers for the past several months and have come to the conclusion that I need your help. ;-) I've decided that a refurbished trailer is probably the way to go. I understand that one ends up putting the money in one way or the other, and I don't have the expertise nor the time to do it myself (although there are several places in Austin that do restorations).

I am looking for 22ft or possibly smaller, something light and towable and am drawn to the Flying Cloud and Bambi trailers for this reason. But I really am feeling my way forward here, and looking for

So, some of my first questions in looking at my local Craigslist are: is it a necessity to have the axle replaced in a late 50's/early 60's model? I've found a few that say they're fully restored but then they've got the original axle, or blackwater tank, shower, toilet and a few other things.

And, if you were looking for your first trailer, to pull for camping and as a part-time Airbnb, if you could go back and do it again, what would you look for? What advice would you give yourself as a raw beginner?

Thanks for your time!
Hi kbimble,
I live within the Austin city limits and have 3 vintage travel trailers and also have a fair bit of knowledge re AirstreamBnB's. I would be happy to chat directly with you and give you a tour of my trailers. I'd also be willing to look at any prospective trailer you might want to buy in the Austin area.
DM me if you'd like.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote