Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
Miami , Florida
New (to us) 1963 Avion Travelcade

We recently went on an adventure from Miami to pickup Amelie from Kentucky. Here's a little vid we threw together: https://youtu.be/mHMPfGRQ_GE
NomadEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome, and congratulations on the Avion! We have a vintage kin as well.

You will quickly learn that vintage kin is the gold standard of vintage RV’s. Let’s keep this little secret amongst ourselves though, les’t we stir the dust amongst our Airstream brethren.

That’s right, I said it!!!

#LetTheArrowsFly

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Haha, you will find the 'Steamers on this forum inviting and welcoming, and even curious about our vintage "kissin' cousins". We started on AirForums years ago with an '63 Avion T-20 and were welcomed with open arms. We still have her, though she's used more for Tin Can Tourist vintage rallies and rendezvous now. We have since added our '06 25' Safari "forever" trailer to the family, and I have to admit the AS is a step up in comfort for cross country travel with 2 adults and 2 dogs. I still enjoy glamping in the old Avion.

Some observations from my many years of rallying and playing both sides of the field: while an Avion or similar SOB would not be welcomed at any Wally Byam Caravan Club International (now Airstream Club International) event, strictly because of the name plate, the converse is also true if you tried to bring an airstream to a Silver Avion Fellowship rally. The SAF folks are surprisingly anti-Airstream, mostly for unfounded reasons... but that's a whole 'nother can of worms for another thread.

IMO, this is where this forum shines, as it is the people and their enthusiasm for, as well as the actual containers that bring us together. I have seen a wide variety of neat aluminum trailers, old and new, at AirForums events, but it's the cool folks on this forum that keep us coming back!

Long story short, carry on and hope to see you on the road someday. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_062235.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	409660Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_075610.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	409661
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Welcome, and congratulations on the Avion! We have a vintage kin as well.

You will quickly learn that vintage kin is the gold standard of vintage RV’s. Let’s keep this little secret amongst ourselves though, les’t we stir the dust amongst our Airstream brethren.

That’s right, I said it!!!

#LetTheArrowsFly
Thank you so much for the welcome. I've actually found this forum very helpful for the Avion so I'm glad they're welcomed here.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount'n Man View Post
Haha, you will find the 'Steamers on this forum inviting and welcoming, and even curious about our vintage "kissin' cousins". We started on AirForums years ago with an '63 Avion T-20 and were welcomed with open arms. We still have her, though she's used more for Tin Can Tourist vintage rallies and rendezvous now. We have since added our '06 25' Safari "forever" trailer to the family, and I have to admit the AS is a step up in comfort for cross country travel with 2 adults and 2 dogs. I still enjoy glamping in the old Avion.

Some observations from my many years of rallying and playing both sides of the field: while an Avion or similar SOB would not be welcomed at any Wally Byam Caravan Club International (now Airstream Club International) event, strictly because of the name plate, the converse is also true if you tried to bring an airstream to a Silver Avion Fellowship rally. The SAF folks are surprisingly anti-Airstream, mostly for unfounded reasons... but that's a whole 'nother can of worms for another thread.

IMO, this is where this forum shines, as it is the people and their enthusiasm for, as well as the actual containers that bring us together. I have seen a wide variety of neat aluminum trailers, old and new, at AirForums events, but it's the cool folks on this forum that keep us coming back!

Long story short, carry on and hope to see you on the road someday. Attachment 409660Attachment 409661
Those are some very, very impressive looking trailers. Looking at your Avion all we could say was 'wow look how shiny it is!!!'
Old 12-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadEffect View Post
Those are some very, very impressive looking trailers. Looking at your Avion all we could say was 'wow look how shiny it is!!!'
"Wax on... Wax off..."

--[emoji3074]
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
you have a very nice looking trailer.
congratulations! & happy camping.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
you have a very nice looking trailer.
congratulations! & happy camping.
Thank you!! Same to you.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Welcome to a fellow Avion owner!

There are also several Avion specific forums out there, & an annual July Silver Avion Fellowship Rally in Elkhart IN. We hope to make the trek to it from SoCal with our `60 T20 Tourist at some point. There are also some other Avion rallies in TX & some other states, but I'm not sure how they've all survived since COVID, but Tin Can Tourists website & Vintage Camper Trailer magazine's website have listings of upcoming vintage rallies too.

https://www.evensi.us/2020-silver-av...ound/328070477

These Avion links may be useful to you:

https://groups.io/g/AvionForum/?fbcl...BbuewnqxXoGP54

http://www.silveravion.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/284409031667225/about/

Vintage Trailer Supply is a good source for new & repro parts, & remember that many other vintage trailers shared the same hardware, windows, appliances, bits & pieces, etc. - so many Airstream & other parts will also fir our Avions.

These are links with pix for our 1960 Avion FYI:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f41...ers-99135.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36...se-127907.html

There are also several other 1963 Avion owners on here who may have tips, similarities etc. for your new 27 footer.

Holiday Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Congrats on your recent addition. I am in a similar place with the addition a couple months back of a '46 Spartan Manor 25'. After several Airstreams, mostly '60's vintage, with 2 total re-dos to the frame and ribs, the Spartan is very interesting. A trailer made by a real aircraft company at the height of their powers with, I think, techniques and design that Airstream never came close to. Yep, I said it. I still love my '68 Overlander. I'm looking forward to continued enjoyment, learning and sharing of ideas on the forums.
Best to all during the holiday season... Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags