Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Looking at 1966 Streamline Countess

Hey gang,

We currently have a 1966 Shasta Compact, and while it might be just about the cutest trailer ever made (it's only 13 feet long) with 4 of us in the family and a planned 3 week trip coming up, we're looking at something a bit bigger.

And we found a 1966 Streamline Countess for sale nearby that we're going to look at. At 26' it's a big step up, but hopefully will avoid having to upgrade again in the future.

A couple questions based on what the seller has told me.

He mentioned corrosion between the steel frame and aluminum belly pan. How common is this, and should I consider it terminal? He mentions that he patched it, but I need to check it.

Anybody know what size the wheel bolt pattern is? If the tires are 8 years old as I think they are, they probably need to be replaced ASAP. I would probably buy new wheels/tires to be safe, so need to know the bolt pattern.

Does anybody know when they started using anodized aluminum on the exterior? I know about Tom Patterson's forum and will register there too, but didn't find anything. I did see in the '65 brochure they were still clearcoating them, and in 1968 they were anodized. But '66 and '67 are spotty.

Any tips for me so I don't miss anything in the inspection? I'm hoping to check each of the systems as much as possible as well as the general condition of the trailer. It's been in one family for 28 years, under covered storage, so that alone gives me hope.

Thanks!
Ian
JeweloJalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Corrosion is a problem for all trailers. Streamline is a great brand and I'd love to have one (my grandparents had a '66 or '67, IIRC). If the owner is concerned enough to have already repaired the frame, I'd consider that as the need to make a careful examination. Which involves removing the underside panels . . not easy, cheap or likely until in one's possession.

As I look at trailers I want to know about skin damage, and plumbing leaks. Water is what destroys trailers, right down to uncontrolled interior humidity. Winter condensation. While high heat can take its toll, water is the demon.

A TT of this age is one that will need work. 46-years means most everything needs to be gone through. That said, a Streamline -- of all brands -- is likely to need the least amount of repairs (all other conditions the same) as no wood cabinetry is the final piece.

Frankly, there is no easy solution to age. It's a gamble. The one I see for sale in Tillamook is a low enough price, granted, but figure it will be $10k plus your labor to come back to reliable performance and enjoyable trips. Cheap, if one understands the value of such a trailer. I'd double that were it mine (fit & finish plus modern amenities) as it is still cheap compared to newer.

TomP has a Streamline and there are others over there who'll have specific ideas.

All appliances are to be replaced at the fifteen year mark for safetys sake. Irrelevant if they work or not. Electrical will need to be made new, and propane plumbing may want replacing (I would, sight unseen). Water plumbing (as above) is the bigger concern: time & expense + labor. Look for "repairs".

A sound skin and never flooded is my first requirement. Study the brochures carefully. If the interior is just run down, no big thing. If it has "lost" componentry/cabinetry it would lose appeal for me. Furniture is easy by comparison.

Yes, you want new tires. The wheels are likely okay if the rims are not bent. The suspension will need to be taken apart (leaf springs) and completely rebuilt at some point, same for brakes (and wiring). Tires and a bearing re-grease plus a brake application test will probably get it home.

Just need to have DOT approved lighting to get home (bypass trailer electrical). Magnetic lights for towing. Tightly secure the door prior to travel, plus all window glass. Whack the leaf spring attaching points with an engineers hammer, and a close look at u-bolts holding the axles. All may need work prior to highway trip. Or, someone with a 40' flatbed to winch it aboard and haul it for you.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Argh, I lost my first reply. Thanks for the tips! We're going to look at it tomorrow. We got distracted by a newer Argosy before deciding the seller was asking too much, and we didn't know enough about them to say yes just yet.

If we buy it we'll drop it off someplace local to have the bearings repacked, brakes checked and new tires. Then go back and pull her home.

I'm hopeful that water damage will be minimal, since it's been stored indoors. As far as I can tell it has most of it's original cabinetry, especially since it's aluminum it seems harder to pull out. I also like the fact it's the same owner for 28 years, which minimizes the chances of new owners messing it up.

What exactly is an engineer's hammer? I'm an engineer, does that make my hammers engineer's hammers? But seriously, it is soft or hard?

OK, looked it up: engineer's hammer Interesting. You learn something new every day!

Thanks again, I'll post up more pics after we look at it. Here's one for now:

And here's our current trailer, it's had a bit of work since this, but give you an idea:

Cheers!
Ian
Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
The plot thickens. A 1965 24' Silver Streak just popped up, or rather the seller just sent photos and it's not as bad as I had assumed. Going to look at both tomorrow.

Ian
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
We got it! I'll start a new build thread.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeweloJalopy View Post
We got it! I'll start a new build thread.
Great!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags