Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Jammer, that is one fine looking camper. I think that it is a "keeper". They certainly don't make them like that anymore.
I have a 1969 Avion C-11 that has been in the family since it was new. I have owned it for close to 30 years and almost all of that time it has been sitting in my back yard, rotting in the AZ sun. Fortunately, the AZ sun only ruins the plastic, and interior and not the structure. We found a way to put a 19 gallon gray water tank in that seems to fit quite well even though we aren't quite done. Let us know how you end up doing your gray water tank.
Good luck with your camper and post some pictures as you make changes.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That is a nice slide in. I think I would trade my Excursion in for a pickup if I could find one of those. My 31 footer is a little big for spur of the moment weekend camping.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That is a nice slide in. I think I would trade my Excursion in for a pickup if I could find one of those. My 31 footer is a little big for spur of the moment weekend camping.

Perry
I have a 34' Avion triple axle trailer. It is in excellent condition for being a 1988 model, but it is just too large for many places and it is too low to the ground to take it off road. The camper fits a great niche that affords the user to go many more places than you can take a regular travel trailer.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Congratulations, your patience really paid off! it's unusual to find a C-11 in such great condition - like my C-10 was before a tree fell on it. Be careful where you park it!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Congratulations, your patience really paid off! it's unusual to find a C-11 in such great condition - a bit like my C-10 was before a tree fell on it. Be careful where you park it!
That hurts just looking at it. Did you ever get it fixed or replaced?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
That hurts just looking at it. Did you ever get it fixed or replaced?
No, it's still sitting in the yard with a tarp over it. I've been too busy with the trailers and other projects. I'll get to it someday! I bought it as a retirement project (which is still at least 4 years away) - now it's a bigger retirement project!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
No, it's still sitting in the yard with a tarp over it. I've been too busy with the trailers and other projects. I'll get to it someday! I bought it as a retirement project (which is still at least 4 years away) - now it's a bigger retirement project!
I hope that you fix it. If you strip it down for a full restoration, that aluminum won't be that hard to fix.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I hope that you fix it. If you strip it down for a full restoration, that aluminum won't be that hard to fix.
Thanks, That's what I'm hoping!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #49
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
We're done with the major things and have camped several nights.

Most of the cab clearance lights were leaking. That, and the poorly repaired holes from the replacement of the Armstrong A/C some years ago, were our two sources of drips.

There is a reasonably close match to the water inlet available from Camco. The original's check valve was shot, as will happen with time.

I repainted the propane tanks and replaced the regulator:

On the pickup, I replaced the stock bumper with a 2x10, which is thin enough that it will allow the camper to fit, while still being technically in compliance with state laws requiring a bumper when the camper is off.

I was able to score some dusty NOS tail light assemblies at a local dealer:

And after scouring the web for several weeks, turned up a NOS L-100 lock:

I refinished the insides of the cupboards with spar urethane to provide a clean, non-porous surface. The dishes are melamine:

I replaced the main interior light, and the over-counter light with fluorescent lights from Taylorbright. They are similar to the lights used in late model Airstream classics. I upgraded the tubes to high-CRI, 3200K ones. The result? Much less power consumption, and brighter, more even lighting.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I got a high-quality chrome ABC fire extinguisher. I believe the stock ones are too small, and installed a 5 pound one instead. It has a vehicle/marine mount:

Mmm, coffee. The luan won't support the hooks by itself so I put in a hardwood strip to take the screws:

My family is part of a stage act while traveling and so, unlike true vacationers, we care what time it is. This automotive clock replaces the TV antenna outlet:

Sometimes it's the little things. I made labels for the switches using clear labeling tape:

Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #51
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
The connection from the water fill to the tank was extremely leak-prone. There's not much clearance, and in the end, I used a piece of rubber hose to attach to the slip fitting on the tank, and then coupled that to the spiral vinyl hose everyone uses to attach to the water fill. We have to be careful not to overfill it or there is still a slight drip but it's much better than it was.

Battery and DC power distribution is under the dinette in these, just rear of the cabover:

I added an ammeter to use to confirm that the battery is charging from the truck alternator. The converter doesn't charge the battery in these units, and I don't plan to replace it. The fuse block is new:

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #52
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
The converter is in a compartment in the raised floor below the dinette. The red and white box is a replacement gas valve for the heater that I still need to install:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psc8eee28c.jpg

I added a bottle opener. This photo also shows the little wire I bent up to keep the fridge door open a couple inches when it is not operating:

I added a few strategically placed Byam hooks, mainly to hold hangers when we're changing into costume before a show:

I had trouble finding a suitable replacement faucet, and ended up buying new cartridges and handles at the local big-box home center. A faucet would have been cheaper.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #53
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Trailer Supply had new exterior hardware for the shore power hatch and the propane hatch:

And I've replaced the weatherstripping on most of the windows. The old had lost its flex. The new is black rather than grey but it fits:

Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #54
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Other than what's in the photos, I've replaced the shore power cord, pre-wired for a combination gas/electric water heater, recarpeted, and replaced the odd loose or missing rivet.

The gas valve for the furnace is the next major project.

Next year or beyond, as budget allows, we will probably replace the fridge and water heater. They are both old school and prone to blowing out while driving, even short distances at low speed. We will probably also add electric heat, which combined with an electric option for the water heater, will reduce our propane usage considerably. The small (20#) propane tanks are a nuisance to fill, and because of their odd size, I've been unable to find spares that would allow us to keep extras and swap them in without a trip to the propane dealer.

I've written about the greywater tank project for this camper here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...nk-102789.html

And I've written about the bath restoration here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...on-102394.html
Old 05-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #55
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Propane grill mod here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...bo-119766.html

Furnace gas valve replacement: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...rs-119761.html

Water heater maintenance: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...yo-119764.html
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #56
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
We sold the C-11 last year. I got my asking price and could have sold three more. We still have the 30' Airstream.

Ultimately the C-11 just didn't work for us for a number of reasons. I'll share what worked and what didn't for the benefit of anyone considering one of these.

First of the successes was that the restoration was largely effective. After doing the work listed upthread, we had a rain-tight camper with a working electrical system, working appliances, and greywater storage.

I would say that our goal of having something that was more flexible for city camping was mostly but not entirely met. I was able to park it in the parking lot at work, for example, and in most less-congested environments we were able to park it in the "car" lot rather than in the RV parking. In urban environments we could not park in ramps because of overhead clearance, and were able to find spots in surface ramps only with difficulty since the length and width was larger than most of the spots were designed for. So we had to find a corner or something where we could park without blocking other stalls.

Our goal of having something suitable for boondocking was partially met. The gravity furnace did operate well without electrical power which made cold-weather boondocking more feasible, but the limited freshwater and greywater capacity really limited us to just one night, two at the outside.

Our goal of having something suitable for backroads was, at best, partially met. While we had the ground clearance we needed, we found that the side-to-side motion from going over bumps and ruts would empty the contents of the roof lockers and make a mess. Since nearly all the storage in truck campers is in the roof lockers, this was a problem. The fact that many of these remote roads had overhanging branches was also a problem, given the height of the rig.

So, here were the serious problems:

Bunk access. My wife has limited mobility, just knee and hip problems typical with the passage of years, and getting into and out of the bunk became problematic. A ladder would not help because much of the problem was lack of headroom, so this was intractable.

Difficulty loading the camper into the truck and unloading to storage. It was always a huge hassle and I was never confident of the stability of the camper when it was on the jacks. At best, it was 45 minutes to load, 30 minutes to unload, I timed it, and that's with a really good battery operated drill to do the cranking. The jacks and brackets were in good shape but there was just too much load on the curbside one, to the point where it would flex 1/2" or so into the aluminum when loaded. Originally many of these campers were installed on their truck more or less permanently, and I think that is the best way to use them today.

Dodgy appliances. The fridge worked as it did when new. The water heater worked. The furnace worked. But they were 1970s technology and all difficult to use. The water heater and the fridge had problems with the pilot lights blowing out, and they were hard to light. The fridge had to be absolutely level and this was time-consuming to achieve. The furnace was oversized for the camper, even after I turned it down as much as I could, and tended to produce wide temperature swings. The gravity design also meant that the grill was hot enough to burn your arm if you bumped into it. The rangetop was OK but the oven never worked as well as we would have liked. If I had kept the camper, I would have replaced the fridge, range, and water heater with new.

Storage space. There just wasn't enough. You give up the truck bed, of course, and so you have a closet and the roof lockers and then very little storage down low. There are no outside luggage compartments. That meant that we had to put lawn chairs in the closet with the clothes, and put the grill on the floor when traveling, because there was no place else for it to fit. Any sort of oversize gear ends up on the floor also -- fishing rods, guitars, kayak paddles, etc., and it all has to be moved somewhere if you stop to make lunch.

Structural problems with the rear overhang. There was some sag in this unsupported area, and we felt we always had to be careful about not driving with the greywater tank full, and not putting heavy items in the closet.

Layout. Ours had the "dinette" layout, and it's just too cramped. The "gaucho" layout, with a much smaller folding table in place of the dinette table, would be better given the narrowness of the space. We ultimately took the dinette table out and left it at home on most trips to open up some space.

Awning. It didn't have one, and I missed it, though this is something we could have added if we had wanted to.

So that's it. We had a few good trips in it where there was no way we could have taken the Airstream, and it worked great as a sort of "supply point" for day trips and picnics. I had fun, and got the money back that I spent on it, but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I hated loading and unloading my C-11. That is why I built a trailer for it.

There is no getting around the low head room of the Cabover bed.

I put 80 gallons of water in mine. 49 gallons inside and almost 40 underneath.
I have close to 20 gallons of gray water and 20 gallons of black water.

I just got back from a 4000 miles trip.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Jammer,
Thanks for your list of reasons for selling the Avion. I'm sorry your project didn't work out as planned, but the list is very helpful as I do a major rebuild of our '65 C-10.

Many of the things you've listed are items I'm already in the process of fixing, such as a Stable-Lift for easier unloading and loading, all new appliances, grey tanks in a basement (the camper needs to be raised to fit my truck anyway) and a cassette toilet to avoid black tank issues. Storage space is often an issue with truck campers. I haven't installed the Stable-Lift yet, but they have good reviews. I think of the Stable-Lift as being to truck campers what the Hensley is to trailers. I was lucky to find a used one that had been stored upside down outside. The motors filled with water and were junk, but I got a good price on the frame and even with the cost of new motors it will be about 1/3 the cost of a new one.

If anyone is interested my Avion blog is at https://65avion.home.blog/. I haven't posted lately as I've been working through a lot of parts of the project that are dependent on one another.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #59
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Thank you both for the replies, and best wishes for your projects and travels.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
DavidsonOverlander,

Good luck on your rebuild. They are definitely worth the effort. I recently got back from a 4000 mile trip. You would be surprised how many people ask about it.
Even though I put mine on a trailer, it can still go on my truck. I just prefer putting a quad in the truck.

As Jammer said, there are short comings. To me, most of them are just room related. Show me any other truck campers that are over a half century old stat are still in use.