Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
Excited to learn more about my 1986 30-P Avion

I bought my 1986 Avion about a year ago for 5k. I think I got a pretty awesome deal since it was on ready to go camping condition. I recently decided to replace the gas water heater with a gas/electric one that seems like it will be easier for me to use(the old one had a leak). I replaced the hitch as well and had a full inspection to make sure everything was on perfect condition. The previous owner painted the cabinets vintage white, replaced the flooring with a wood looking one, and replaced all the cabinet hindges with more modern ones. My fiancé and I then painted all the rounded walls with a Tiffany blue, yes...Tiffany blue, hehe....it gives it a vintage look-modern look. Yes such a girly thing to do.....well, that's because I am a 36 year old GIRL. Hehe .
Every day I sit in bed watching YouTube videos about "how to" and "history" and pictures and who knows what else. I am extremely excited about my Avion baby and I find it so exciting to have found this forum.
Pinterest has so many images on how to restore and has given me many ideas.....but I find myself with a detrimental question.

Do I choose to convert the front of my trailer into a private bedroom?(it's empty in that area currently).
Or, do I continue with the current theme of it being a livingroom area?

I have a friend who can convert the area with the double beds into a dinette area (able to convert into a bed) on one of the sides and the opposite side as storage with tv holder or a Closet.

I've read almost all of the comments in this forum and I'm excited by all of your knowledge and expertise.
Avion1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
That was exactly what we had planned on doing on the 30P that we looked at. We were going to replace the couch with a bed, then convert one of the twins in to a entertainment center/desk and the opposite side into a couch with swivel away tables to use as a one sided booth.

Look forward to seeing pictures!
Texfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
We were going to build something like this and have two seperate tables that would come together in the middle. But also pull off or tilt flat against the wall on each end.
Texfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Avion. Nice to see more and more Vintage Kin (and especially Avions!!).

As to your quandary about what to do with the front end of your Avion: Our 34W has a similar layout in front. Ours has the couch along the street-side wall, and I removed the two swivel rockers (still have them if anyone needs them). I like having that area available for packing "stuff" on our travels. I usually carry the folding chairs, a box with a couple of Coleman lanterns, and a heavy plastic tote that I use to store the equalizer hitch and bars when they are not on the truck (I don't like leaving anything laying around when we're not at the trailer.... would really stink if someone thought they needed our hitch more than we do!) Sometimes use that area for the bicycles.

So, I guess you need to imagine what you might use that area for, then proceed accordingly.

Looking forward to pics!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
That sounds like a great idea!!! That swivel could possibly even work with the beds still there ....but using a back rest and pillows to make the beds feel like s couch. Or just the way you described. Thank you for the idea. I'll be doing more research on that.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Avion. Nice to see more and more Vintage Kin (and especially Avions!!).

As to your quandary about what to do with the front end of your Avion: Our 34W has a similar layout in front. Ours has the couch along the street-side wall, and I removed the two swivel rockers (still have them if anyone needs them). I like having that area available for packing "stuff" on our travels. I usually carry the folding chairs, a box with a couple of Coleman lanterns, and a heavy plastic tote that I use to store the equalizer hitch and bars when they are not on the truck (I don't like leaving anything laying around when we're not at the trailer.... would really stink if someone thought they needed our hitch more than we do!) Sometimes use that area for the bicycles.

So, I guess you need to imagine what you might use that area for, then proceed accordingly.

Looking forward to pics!!
PaulnGina You make a very good point. I gotta think about where I will store any camping gear, outdoor tables , chairs and bikes while away. Ideally most should not take to much room, but it sure requires some planning.
I did see a bed that lifts up to allow for plenty of storage under it. I wonder if that would be enough room to fit everything?
So much to think about ....
Old 06-03-2016, 11:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
My Avion 1986 30P

So I was reading about a Silver Edition Avion that was released in 1986. How do I know if mine is a Silver Edition and what are the differences? I've looked all over the Internet but haven't come across a solid answer. I read that the red stripe was on Silver Editons, but is that all that it was?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion1986 View Post

So I was reading about a Silver Edition Avion that was released in 1986. How do I know if mine is a Silver Edition and what are the differences? I've looked all over the Internet but haven't come across a solid answer. I read that the red stripe was on Silver Editons, but is that all that it was?
I'm not sure of all of the differences, but the Silver Editions I've seen had a decal under the front right and left windows that said "Silver Edition", and there was a floor safe incorporated somewhere inside. They also had the maroon beltline and another near the lower rub rail that wraps around the trailer. Seems like there were some other interior feature differences, including an etched plate of some sort that said what number the trailer was in the series. There were 200 made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00n0n_dEmFp28gtf1_600x450.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	263817   Click image for larger version

Name:	00707_koZWTBp6dD2_600x450.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	263818  

Click image for larger version

Name:	00707_5aaadFEIAvb_600x450.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	263819   Click image for larger version

Name:	01212_8KWG6ZFU4z8_600x450.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	263820  

PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
Thank you PaulnGina that is very informative. I was hoping to find out I had a Silver Edition but by your information it sounds like I am not that lucky . Thank you for posting those pictures, that really helps.
I should be getting my Avion back this Monday from the RV mechanic shop so I can post more pictures of my Silver Beauty.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
Old 06-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
My Avion: Now

Old 06-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , California
Http//:TiffanyblueAvion.tumblr.com

I decided to post the process on this link. Im having a hard time posting pictures through my iPhone at this forum. Sorry

This shows what my trailer looks as of today.