Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Doggy door?

Next thing I need to do is install a doggy door in our Streamline.
Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'm wondering where the best location would be. I was thinking of engineering some kind of drop down steps like the back of an old 727. Crazy much?
TikiPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Funny idea. I would suggest using one of the accessory hatches. Build a new hatch out of wood so it fits the frame in the hatch, and then carry it with you, and switch them out. You can even add the same lock to lock it into the spot. You may have to have 2 doors - one on the outside, and then the dog goes through another one under the bed or something.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The question I'd ask is "Where will you be enough of the time where your dog can go in and out unattended to make working out a doggie door worth the effort?"

So far every place I've found that is pet-welcoming requires leashes outside of fenced "dog park" areas.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I saw a doggie door on an SOB once. The trailer was there to stay and they had a fenced in ramp leading to a small fenced in area for the dog. Not a set up for traveling. My dog uses a doggie door at home, but while traveling, I lifted him in and out each time that he/we left our trailer. This was done during a fifty day trip of over 10,000 miles. My little dog is too short, too old, and too heavy to get in and out of our trailer by himself.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Opp's......Sorry! this doesn't go anywhere.

Serious though, all kinds of woodland critters LOVE "doggie dorz"
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
not a good thing if you don't clean up after your dog
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Thanks for the info gang! The thing is, we'll be living full time in the trailer in the L.A. area and it'll be a good year or more before we'll be able to take it on the road. Once we travel it'll be a different story, what with the leashes and walking and all.
And not to worry, we clean up after them always!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i think robwok has the right idea if you could make one that attached to an existing access hatch and could be removed when not in use. or make it more permanent but make it so you could attach the hard panel on the outside of it when you're towing the trailer to keep the dust and water out.......hmmmm now you got me thinking! i for one believe in doggie doors. we don't have one in our trailer we just sleep with the door open (weather and bugs permitting) the dogs lay on the floor beside us so they would alert us to any intrusion. we've never had any problem with any other critters using doggie doors on our house...probably because they're like doorbells, the dogs hear it and go to see who's coming to visit. if it's a wild critter chances are it will run off when the dogs charge the door. at any rate you may be on to something here. i'm sure you've seen what they charge for a doggie door for your house. imagine what we could charge for one for your rv!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wet happy dogs.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	139090  
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
A doggie door is a must for me. I've always had one, one because I'm lazy, and two because I believe that dogs were meant to roam.

When the doggie door is not in use you can close it from the inside.
The best place for me is probably where the water heater went in the bathroom. A tankless water heater will be necessary.

The only other thing is some sort of flexible fence that I can roll up then unroll and stick in the ground to make a yard for the little fella.

I think that he will love chilling under the trailer..
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Your fellow campers will just love your ability to just set your wants and needs free. Cleanuo? Who cares? Thanks in advance.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
A doggie door is a must for me. I've always had one, one because I'm lazy, and two because I believe that dogs were meant to roam.

When the doggie door is not in use you can close it from the inside.
The best place for me is probably where the water heater went in the bathroom. A tankless water heater will be necessary.

The only other thing is some sort of flexible fence that I can roll up then unroll and stick in the ground to make a yard for the little fella.

I think that he will love chilling under the trailer..
DB,

How the h@ll do you let your dog just roam the campsite with no supervision, please when you get your DD installed let me know where your camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Your fellow campers will just love your ability to just set your wants and needs free. Cleanuo? Who cares? Thanks in advance.

Pat
Pat,

Another prime example of a dog owner who should be......never mind.

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If it's going to be parked for a year, one answer would be to buy or build or buy a dog house and a fence. However it would be the wrong answer unless you are going to be parked on private property with no neighbors close by.

You simply shouldn't leave dogs outside unattended in any RV park. Even "large RV lots" aren't that large. At most your neighbors windows will be 10-15 feet away from yours. I've been fulltiming since 2005 and have almost never seen problem animals - barking or unattended - because they are not tolerated. On one occasion the trailer next to me was gone in 2 days - after numerous complaints about their dogs barking, and on another the owner was banned from the park for letting her dog run and do his business wherever at night. That kind of strictness is the rule, not the exception. The camp manager also told me that they generally tried to leave a lot empty for a week after anyone with multiple dogs and/or a dog fence had been on the lot - so a rainfall or hosedown of the site could get rid of the urine smell.

If your dog isn't teacup poodle small, urine smell and dead grass will happen in a tiny fenced yard - even presuming you DO clean up the poop daily. An RV park is more like an apartment building when it comes to pets... you have to walk them daily AND clean up their poop to make it habitable for everyone. I'd like to have a dog, but due to my work schedule the dog would either have to come to work or go to doggie daycare every day.

If you work from home where you can easily supervise the dog(s), then modifying the screen door could be easy - and practical. Some people have cut out thin lexan inserts that fit over the screens and make it possible to leave the door open and welcoming during cooler weather - or use the A/C effectively in the heat. An open door is also more friendly looking and would allow you to keep an eye on the dogs. Your screen door should have an aluminum kick plate at the bottom, just take it out and replace it with a cloth cover that the dog can go through.

...but watch out for squirrels! I've literally had them come knocking on the door for treats!

Paula
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
No worries,
We'll be living on private property much like we do now in a real house that has a doggy door.
Our dogs are small indoor dogs and they are used to going out when they need to. Rodents are not an issue because the dogs are terrier mutts with natural rat and squirrel dispatching tendencies. We both work from home so the dogs are never unattended, so that's not an issue either. I'm simply looking for practical mechanical advice. One thing I do know is that the screen door on a Streamline does not lend itself to modification.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
DB,

How the h@ll do you let your dog just roam the campsite with no supervision, please when you get your DD installed let me know where your camping.

Pat,

Another prime example of a dog owner who should be......never mind.

Bob
If you ever see me in an organized campground, you will know that I'm in distress already, because otherwise I wouldn't be there.

If you ever see me at a rally, go ahead and shoot me. I think that would be the definition of tedious.

The idea of "fellow campers" never enters into the equation.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
tiki, if you get this thing figured out i would love some pictures....robert, get a grip!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
tiki, ....robert, get a grip!

Always do...on a leash at every campground we go to.

Bob