Old 06-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hillsboro , Oregon
Do I need to do anything to the windows?

I have a lot of experience restoring canned hams, but this is my first silver trailer. In canned ham restoration, removing the windows and replacing the butyl tape sealant is always part of any halfway decent restoration, regardless of whether or not they leak. Is the same true with the silver trailers? Iím beginning a restoration of a 64 Streamline Duke. It has jalousy windows that function, but I donít know what kind of seal is used. Do I need to take them out and replace whatever the seal is? If there is no apparent leakage.

Warden Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
It's not a bad idea. On our Streamline the butyl was still soft and they didn't leak so I just left it alone. But if you're going through and resealing everything it's a good idea. We looked at a Silver Streak that had leaky windows and it had destroyed all the wood near the windows.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We treat our window gaskets with silicone spray made for that to keep the gaskets from drying out and stay pliable a couple times a year. Concerning the jalousie windows, vintagetrailergaskets.com in Walnut Creek Ca was very knowledgeable in the correct window gaskets and supplied us on our renovation with the correct gaskets to seal them. We spoke with him several times on the phone and was very enthusiastic on getting what we needed. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hillsboro , Oregon
So, do I need to remove them to reseal them? Iím seeing a lot of YouTube videos where folks use a special kind of ďcaulkĒ (but itís not really caulk)
Warden Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
For AS trailers, clean the old caulk off the frame to body joint but don't remove the frame. That would require drilling out all the rivets. Re-caulk it with Trempro 635 or other brand gray polyurethane caulk. That should do it for a few years of leak prevention unless a rivet leaks.
For the actual glass and frame, clean off old caulk at seam where the two parts of the frame meet and re-caulk, inside and outside seam. Replace the gaskets if they are cracking or rub them down with silicone to keep good seals staying good longer. Check the glass to frame gasket seal too. If that seal is bad, the glass can be caulked to the frame with Trempro too if you don't want to rebuild the windows.
Silicone lube the moving parts every so often.
That's about it.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote