Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Jackson Center: Bowlus Trailer

Yes... this was in 2007 to have some warranty work done on our 2006 23 foot Safari at Jackson Center, Ohio. We parked in the multi plex alongside the service area. Spent five days walking around... lots of free hot chocolate at the office.

When Jackson Center fixed our issues... the trailer was better than expected. It felt different and looked real COOL, too. The hitch would not work on our Airstream. I took a photograph. I did not realize that we were not there for a total 'remake' but some aluminum fender rivets and trimming to reduce dust inhalation into the trailer.

The third in the center sure looked like a Bowlus. Never seen one before.

Oh well. Maybe next time. The hitch still worked on our Safari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2436.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	404474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	404477  

Name:	DSCN2419.jpg
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	404478   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2418.jpg
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	404479  

Name:	DSCN2429.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	404480  
Old 09-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1958 22' Caravanner
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Yes... this was in 2007 to have some warranty work done on our 2006 23 foot Safari at Jackson Center, Ohio. We parked in the multi plex alongside the service area. Spent five days walking around... lots of free hot chocolate at the office.

When Jackson Center fixed our issues... the trailer was better than expected. It felt different and looked real COOL, too. The hitch would not work on our Airstream. I took a photograph. I did not realize that we were not there for a total 'remake' but some aluminum fender rivets and trimming to reduce dust inhalation into the trailer.

The third in the center sure looked like a Bowlus. Never seen one before.

Oh well. Maybe next time. The hitch still worked on our Safari
The trailer in the middle is "Old Grand Dad", a 1938 Airstream Clipper, not a Bowlus. Airstream has not had those trailers parked in front of the Service Center for probably 10 years. Some of them will eventually show up in the Heritage Center once it opens.

Airstream does own an unrestored Bowlus, but I beleive they obtained it sometime after your visit. It used to be parked out back of the Service Center in recent years. I have no idea if it is still there. I doubt they will have room for it in the Heritage Center.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #123
1 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Thx Idoco. Your reply comparing AS with Bowlus RC is very helpful and comprehensive and answers the vast majority of my questions!
Kitcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #124

Bellevue , Washington
"Long time listener, first time caller..."

I have an order for a Bowlus with scheduled delivery in Q2 2022. This is my first RV of any kind. I've been dreaming of the Bowlus ever since I first learned of it. My pre-purchase feedback:

First, understand that this is a family business run by the Long family. I haven't met Geneva, but I met Helena twice as well as communicated via phone and email. It's clear they are paranoid about competition (from Airstream?), so they are extremely protective with any details.

Second, their secretive approach explains why they told @Lajonchere to "pay for support": you're not the original customer. I'm not going to judge whether that's the right or legal thing to do, but they are consistent.

It's clear that Bowlus is run as a small family business. My wild guess is they have fewer than 20 people in the whole company. Also, they sell direct without dealers, and I suspect they go to few "RV shows", if any. Compared with better known brands like Airstream, it seems hard to get-to-know Bowlus. However, Bowlus are very proud of their product, and have reached out to me many times to show the trailer. I visited their Henderson NV offices a few years ago; they later contacted me about 2 years ago when they were touring my area. That gave me ample opportunity to see and fall in love with the trailer. Perhaps they are currently limiting visits due to COVID. However, when I placed the order a couple of months ago, Helena told me her calendar was full of virtual tours (Zoom, FaceTime, etc.).

I also get the impression Bowlus are selling trailers at least as fast as they can build them, and they aren't looking to expand the business. They are very happy to show the product to serious prospects, but they don't spend time on people who are "just looking". Does this make them arrogant? Perhaps, but I personally would rather work with Helena Long than any car-lot-salesman.

Finally, what led me to Bowlus was quality and size. I wasn't looking for a mobile mansion - I wanted a lighter trailer that is comfortable and stylish. How well will it work for me? I'll report back in 2022.
gglockner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglockner View Post
"Long time listener, first time caller..."

I have an order for a Bowlus with scheduled delivery in Q2 2022.
Which model did you order?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #126

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Which model did you order?
Terra Firma. FWIW, Helena Long said that they had no deliveries available for the other models in 2022.
gglockner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #127
1 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Thx gglochner. It does seem to be a very small family run company. If you Google Map their address you see they occupy a smallish commercial unit in a industrial development. It looks big enough to hold maybe 10 trailers, maybe less.

The patriarch of the family is a billionaire and daughter Geneva is a graduate of Wharton School of Business, so they may be small but they are not clueless. They do seem quirky though.

I look forward to reading your report of what ownership is like and whether the trailer lives up to the company’s somewhat hyperbolic PR. I remain fascinated by it and if it cost $80K, I’d probably have one.

For prospective buyers, there is a lightly used Endless Highways , Performance Edition for sale on RVT.com, in Boulder Colo, that seems to have all the bells and whistles. List was $235K new, now $207K .
Kitcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote