Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Southern Orange County , California
Boles Aero questions

Hello,
First off I've never owned a trailer of any sort before and I've been all over the internet trying to find out any info. I looked at a '56 Zenith today and have a few questions.

1. Were there any models or years screwed together and not riveted?
2. Did all years and models have aluminum framing?
3. How were the roofs made

The reason I'm asking about the framing is there is some water staining around the top vent and some windows and I would feel better if it just hurt the paneling and not the frame....if it's aluminum. The outside is ribbed with the sheets screwed together. The pictures online I can find detail of have rivets, but they're of 40's and early 50's models. Also the roof has some sealer over 2 seams (across where the sheets come together)and I wanted to know if they needed to come apart (this could be the deal breaker).

I want to find one that isn't going to rot out (aluminum frame), that needs minor work to make it useable (no full resto), is 18' or less and of course fits in my budget. I would love to find an 50's or older Silver streak or Airstream but it's not in the cards.

Thanks in advance for any help,
The Newbie

Here's some shots of what I looked at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	223163   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	223164  

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	223165   Click image for larger version

Name:	7500-1.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	223166  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	223167   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	223168  

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	223169   Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	223170  

1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
pretty sure the framing is wood on that trailer but not sure it would have rows and rows of rivets if it was all riveted construction
PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I believe they have an aluminum frame rivetted together like Airstream and similar trailers.

Yours seems to have typical leakage problems. This can be fixed with seam sealer, new calking around vents, around windows etc.

Unless the body is damaged, or rivets worked loose. This will be noticable on close inspection.

Water damaged areas of the interior will need to be removed, cleaned, refinished and/or replaced. Don't forget, fibreglass insulation may be waterlogged and need to be replaced.

This can be a lot of work but not terribly expensive in terms of materials.

If the body is screwed together it is possible to take apart. It is actually easier to remove panels and fix damage from the outside, than from the inside.

Look on Youtube for videos by Mobiltec about repairing similar trailers. 1958 Deville would be most similar.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto on the leaks. Looks like a maintenance issue. Caulk around all openings in the shell with a non silicone caulk like Tempro Vulkem and Silkaflex. Check your gaskets on vents, windows and doors.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Southern Orange County , California
I went to a vintage trailer show today to look and gather more info. I guess Boles Aero did have 2 different trailers types, a regular one and a lower budget one. The Zenith is the lower budget one and has a wood frame, the others have a aluminum frames. I also learned that a lot of the wood framed models you need to pull the outer skin to properly replace the interior wood. It was a good day with many really nice people (before that I went to a small vintage tool swapmeet).
So rule of thumb, if the outside aluminum is screwed on it has a wood frame, riveted on is aluminum frame. I found out I like the 30's-40's trailers but a 50's/some early 60's good aluminum framed (airstream, silver streak, boles aero, avion....) trailer will work too.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wondering if any of you might have feedback to help stanyon ID his trailer:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...to-174018.html

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLVMB View Post
pretty sure the framing is wood on that trailer but not sure it would have rows and rows of rivets if it was all riveted construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
I believe they have an aluminum frame rivetted together like Airstream and similar trailers.

Yours seems to have typical leakage problems. This can be fixed with seam sealer, new calking around vents, around windows etc.

Unless the body is damaged, or rivets worked loose. This will be noticable on close inspection.

Water damaged areas of the interior will need to be removed, cleaned, refinished and/or replaced. Don't forget, fibreglass insulation may be waterlogged and need to be replaced.

This can be a lot of work but not terribly expensive in terms of materials.

If the body is screwed together it is possible to take apart. It is actually easier to remove panels and fix damage from the outside, than from the inside.

Look on Youtube for videos by Mobiltec about repairing similar trailers. 1958 Deville would be most similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Ditto on the leaks. Looks like a maintenance issue. Caulk around all openings in the shell with a non silicone caulk like Tempro Vulkem and Silkaflex. Check your gaskets on vents, windows and doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
I went to a vintage trailer show today to look and gather more info. I guess Boles Aero did have 2 different trailers types, a regular one and a lower budget one. The Zenith is the lower budget one and has a wood frame, the others have a aluminum frames. I also learned that a lot of the wood framed models you need to pull the outer skin to properly replace the interior wood. It was a good day with many really nice people (before that I went to a small vintage tool swapmeet).
So rule of thumb, if the outside aluminum is screwed on it has a wood frame, riveted on is aluminum frame. I found out I like the 30's-40's trailers but a 50's/some early 60's good aluminum framed (airstream, silver streak, boles aero, avion....) trailer will work too.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote