Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Avion floor question

Hello once again,

I used to hang around here a bit a few years ago and am now looking for another project but had a question. I am looking at getting myself an Avion and was wondering if anyone here knew how to look for or what to look for as far a floor rot goes. I have checked it from the underside as much as I can and it looks good but now I hear that the floor is actually two sheets of plywood with foam sandwich between so not sure how to inspect it now. I am afraid that maybe the top layer will rot without affecting the bottom layer? Not sure where else to ask as this seems to be a brand that is not as discussed as much as Airstreams.

(I am also saying hello to any old friends that might still be here)

Chas (Charles)
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I just purcahsed an Avion (Stop Booing!!!!!!) from Silverhobby. He was very knowledgable. I'm think he would be able to assist you.

BTW...I really do like the Avion. Love my AS, but the Avion is a dang sweet unit.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
what year avion?
in my 87 30P, i can look under the bed on the street side, and see down to the h2o tank, as well as to see the sandwich layer, which is indeed plywood//foam//plywood.

places to check for rot include at the entry door, the front right (curb side) below the front window, and around the tub.

good luck with the new trailer!
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I have the same sandwich floor in my '68 Avion TC . After removing the toilet for repair I found the floor under it to be in very good condition . It seems to have a black protective coating on it , looks to be factory .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
If the plywood is punky you should be able to detect it with some gentle probing with a screwdriver or similar instrument. As you walk around you may feel the floor give way if it is real bad.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I used to have a 84 model "tri axle Avion". They are great campers. I would look around the door and the front window area. That was the only wet spots I found in mine when I rescued it.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I am impressed with Avions, they actually seem much better built than an AS. I understand they have foam insulation all the way around? My friend's rig has clips around all the windows, inside, to allow for a plexi-glass inner storm window. If I ever wanted to live in a travel trailer over a winter in a cold climate, it would be in an Avion, not an Airstream!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Good comments from everyone about where to look for floor rot and damage. One thing to remember about repairing the Avion floor is that the wood rests on the frame. The side ribs of the body are not supported by the plywood, so floor replacement is a bit easier to accomplish.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2002 16' Bambi
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Delta , BC
I think it would depend on the year it was built. The floor on my 1959 Avion is the same as my 68 airsteam, a single layer of plywood bolted to the floor and the walls built on top.
kevin barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
My '63 was built before they got all fancy with the foam.
The floor is a single layer of plywood with fiberglass insulation under it, and the walls bolt directly to the frame, so the floor is not sandwiched. Later on, they went with the foam sandwich, and sprayed in foam for the walls and cieling instead of fiberglass bat.
The only floor rot Ive encountered is at the very tail, where water had leaked through the broken bathroom vent, and traveled between the outer wall and inner shell to rest there.

www.silveravion.com has a good restoration section with picks of floor replacements for a couple if different years if youre interested in the worst-case scenario.