Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
Another Silver Streak Clipper shell off

Hi Everyone, I went to Santa Barbara from Los Angeles this weekend to help lift a shell off a frame of another SS Clipper. I was contacted when they purchased the trailer so they could pick my brain as how they are built and best way to take out and replace the sub-floor we spoke for a week until they pulled the subfloor and discovered seriously damaged outriggers. They came down and visited the mess I had going on here. I had one trailer braced ready to lift off the frame and one for sale that was a donor. I was handed some cash with a handshake. I continued working on my trailer but instead of cutting out 14.5 outriggers I cut 29 anyone who builds knows its easier to do double to avoid set up. I also made the tabs for the frame. My partner and really the owner and guy in charge of the project was 17 with building skills ++++ He backed up a Kubota with trailer hooked up far better than most double his age and had his own tools with HIS name Kid is more than comfortable with a skilsaw in his hand. He had done as much as he could to have it ready to lift. I had sent his father the exact lumber, hardware list needed to lift it so there was no wasted time. I had fresh drill bits and threw together a kit of stuff I needed doing mine luckily theres was not quit as stubborn as mine was. I arrived at 8:15AM and we got a game plan unloaded tools and opened a serious can of whoop a$$ on this poor Clipper we lost Dad after lunch. We literally stopped long enough to eat a sandwich and go right back to it by the time dad was back we were pretty much there. We did some final blocking and cut some blocks to lift the jack stands on the opposite side of the jack just in case the trailer slipped off the frame it was supported by jack stands.I let Jr have the honors of jacking it up while dad and I watched to see if it was for sure disconnected and loose from the frame after to snips it was free and loose JR jacked up one side enough to lift it off the frame not to much then go side to side repeating raising it about 8 inches each time our pivot point was off a hair so we lifted the front after the back had a block. 12HR to pull it minus all the time Jr put into taking the belly pan off. I will of course update both threads. I am now buying a new 4" tube and building my frame in Santa Barbara then pulling it back home to continue on my Clipper.
I was kind of dreading the drive and it was a hassle the first attempt to get there but I have met some really good people I also have a passion for these old riveted Trailers. I am replacing a front floor subfloor section on a Silver streak Clipper this week another member I met here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	214726  
PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
My favorite picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	214728  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
went to Santa Barbara this weekend to start rebuilding the other Clipper I am working on had to load the frame and take it to another building with better power. The Ranch Its at is 850 acres!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	218245  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ready for another round of buck riveting next is the axle channel and belly pan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	218783  
Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
There has not been to much interest in this thread butI will still update it. I have put the shel back on the NEW frame and remade the belly pan I am extremely happy with the way they fit so is the owner and his son they can finally see there trailer again now I have to put my clipper back on its new frame so check that thread out. John Los Angeles, CA (HOME OF PLVMB TOOLS)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	220405  
Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Nailed it dead on and now have templates

I forgot I could not have installed this without Weston and his DAD even though DAD thought it was to tight LOL it definitely does not just slide up and this seems to be the worst of it they are in the home stretch now back to mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	220406  
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bottom shot looking up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	220407  
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I am bummed out I have no help to put mine together and am well… actually listed it on CL in Los Angeles
I sorta wish I was not involved in this project it adds salt to a wound
Old 12-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Drove up to Santa Barbara and cut the new exterior skins and shot them on about 400 rivets
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	229081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	229082  

Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Nice! Looks like you're making quick work of it!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote